Sunday, March 12, 2006

Six Foot Track Marathon 2006

And so the PB streak is over. I’ve managed four PBs in succession at this race but alas this year was not to be. Posted a 5:00:47 but not unhappy with that at all.

After a very slow descent down Nellies (mental note line up at the front next year) I was basically behind the eight ball most of the race. Once on the valley floor with Nellies behind me I passed a lot of runners trying to make up for lost time, moving along at 10km speed at one stage, probably not the wisest move.
Found the single-track to the river very comfortable arriving there in 1:25, still a couple of minutes down on last year but that didn’t faze me too much. I waded through the water stumbling on some very slippery rocks in the process and collecting a lot of debris in my shoes. I had to pull off one shoe to empty the collection of small rocks before continuing, rock hopping probably would have been the faster route. I quickly grabbed some food and drink and trotted up to the first climb.
I was running with Stephen Jackson for a bit talking tactics, walking hills and saving it for the flats and downs, only problem was there was something missing on the hills. I hadn’t felt real good climbing and was hoping for a faster split to Pluvio.
Once at the top of Mini I ran well to Alum Creek and Little River but splits were telling me I was still a good 4-5 minutes behind last year. I passed MPH on the final push to the summit of Pluvio and thought, “not again surely he hasn’t succumbed to the same fate as last year?” (great recovery btw Marty). I pulled into the Pluvio aid station in 2:54, a good 6 minutes behind.
Once more a feed of watermelon and banana and a cup of coke and it was off for the Black Range. I picked it up here and managed to run well, probably 95% of the 8km stretch. I was pleased with my running now and felt better the longer the race went on.
Bumped into Plu who informed me that Whippet was a few minutes ahead, to which I replied “what surely not in front?” I thought I was ahead of him up to now.
Deviation in 3:54 but the damage was done; I had lost too much time on the climbs for any chance of a PB. Funnily enough I wasn’t too pissed by this, instead I just relaxed and decided to just bring it home as best I could, can’t PB every year! The climb up to Caves road hurt and I was glad when it was behind me. There was an awesome crowd there to greet us, really lifting the spirits.
I found good legs for the Caves road to Binda Cabins section and started to think about a sub five-hour finish. It would be very close though given I was still over 8 minutes behind last years split at Caves Rd (finishing then in 4:52). Still, I thought I’d give it a bash anyhow. I passed heaps of runners on the Mt George fire trail including Mr Jackson, finally able to fang it down the “well graded” descent, no doubt the benefit of some hill training on Quarry Track. I could hear the usual crowd noise emanating from Caves House as I neared Carlotta’s Arch. A quick look at the time and I knew sub 5 was not to be. Hit the bitumen and ran in the final 50 meters with a big smile on my face. 5:00:47.

It may not have been the time I was expecting but it was my second fastest 6 Foot to date. I was pleased with my running from Pluvio to the finish; in fact I was within a minute of my time from last year, for that section. I had no problems with cramp and ate and drank well the whole way.
Looking forward to the cooler weather now, where I seem to come into my own.

Once again a wonderful race to be part of with lots of inspiration to draw on from some outstanding performances, most notably Emma Murray’s, yet again a terrific run from her. Also our very own Strider Fats who turned on a stellar performance and good to see Uncle Dave doing what he does best and clearly getting back to some wonderful form.
Must also mention runs from Don Juan and Amjan, very impressive guys.
Great to see PBs from fellow Team “Mellum” members Tim and Whippet, well done guys. Phibes pulling off a sub five 2 weeks after Taipei, mind boggling.
And last but not least to a very brave effort by my host on Friday night Mister G (and Mel, thanks guys), running with GF and finishing strong, champion effort mate.

This is such an awesome race, I couldn’t imagine not running it. I look forward to “buckle” year next year.
Kevin and the volunteers put on the most organised race of the year, a benchmark for others to aspire to.

4 Comments:

At 9:11 PM, March 12, 2006, Blogger Superflake said...

Bad luck on missing the PB. But you had a good race regardless and 5hrs is nothing to be sneezed at. Look forward to watching you buckle next year. Hopefully with me breaking my cherry.

 
At 7:56 AM, March 13, 2006, Blogger Tesso said...

Big congrats Spud!!!! 5 hours might not be a PB but it sure is amazing - well done!

 
At 7:58 PM, March 13, 2006, Blogger 2P said...

Fantastic run Spud - that tree across the top of the stairs did nothing for anyones time who was towards the middle/back of the pack.

Nicely done mate ;-)

 
At 5:24 PM, March 17, 2006, Blogger Ewen said...

You had a great run Spud - 5 hours and finishing in good shape is better than most runners managed... not easy as it was hotter than last year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home