Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Glasshouse Mountains update.

Wow what a weekend, just getting back to the office and reading through this thread. How awesome is CR, to have progress reports, results and pictures up in no time? So good in fact, it encouraged Mrs Spud to post for the first time, I don’t recall her ever even looking at CR before!

So many great things about this race, it truly is the Mecca of ultra running in this country. I love the camaraderie, the banter, and the fun. Getting away for a few days and sharing this experience with some mates is magic! The trail was certainly interesting but softer thanks to the rain and therefore less jarring and more forgiving on the joints, which I’m sure we are all thankful for this week.

Thanks to Ian, Bruce and crew for the incredible organisation that needs to happen in order to make this race feasible. As others have already mentioned, the volunteers were fantastic, the trails well marked, the aid stations plentiful and the crews ( Vegie, Davo, Tesso and Clairie) awesome. I must also personally mention 99 (MrsX) who looked after me in the latter stages of the race, a wonderful lady. So many great runs out there and stories to tell, I will not mention too many names now, for fear of forgetting someone, I’ll leave that for the race report.

I will mention however, the fantastic runs put together by the Mellum boys. I was one happy chappie when I heard we all cracked the sub 24hr and mighty pleased to see Tim the Terminator snag a gold shirt! No more wise cracks about “no shirt” now. Whippet still astounds me with his ability to run well off inconsistent training and low mileage and of course “five peaks” UCB for his 100km effort, awesome.

Personally I had another “race of my life” and couldn’t have asked for a better result. Well I could have, but getting past Tugger is not going to happen in this lifetime, an absolute freak! Great run Tugger, you might have just woken up Jonathon Worswick for another tilt at the GH record ;-)

Looking forward to next year already!

7 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Gronk said...

Awsome result Spud. Sure was a race of a lifetime. Well done mate. :)

 
At 10:09 AM, September 06, 2006, Blogger tim said...

mate you are running so well.

Come to think about it we are all running well.

Go Mellum!

 
At 11:01 AM, September 06, 2006, Blogger 2P said...

Fantastic result and well deserved - you certainly have been putting in some blinders lately.

Great job Spud.

 
At 2:56 PM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Tesso said...

Spud, I feel so lucky to have been out there on the weekend and see you in ultra action first hand. Just a shame you guys weren't doing some sort of continual short loops so we could all be at the finish line every time a competitor came in :-)

You're right, it was magic up there. There ultra community is so special, like one big happy family. I can't imagine anyone ever being at GH once and not going back be it to run or crew or just spectate.

Congrats again. Recover well. Catch ya soon.

PS GO MELLUM ... she says through gritted teeth ;-)

 
At 7:01 PM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Horrie said...

Fantastic result Spud and very well earnt. I'm glad you were able to hold Martin off and hang on to second. It was great to be a part of the Glasshouse experience with you. Can't wait for next year. Although, I'm not sure if I'm willing to take Team Mellum on again. ;)

 
At 8:38 PM, September 06, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Sensational.

Congrats on an awesome result Spud! Well done!

 
At 9:49 AM, September 07, 2006, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations Champ. Another fantastic race by you. You might be giving Phibes a run for his money at C2K this year.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home