Monday, April 02, 2007

Glenbrook Gallop-43km





The start of the new fatass trail series and one not too far from home, how could I resist. I called MrG on Saturday to see if he was running, he didn't need much coaxing, after all it is his backyard.
I arrived about 6.45am at the rangers hut in Glenbrook National Park after stopping at the servo for a coffee. The usual suspects were there, Rod, Terry, Actionman and a couple of new fatassers in Vstar and Rodo. Also gracing us with his presence was Mr David Newborn. Sean arrived fashionably late after running down from home and we were off at 7.15ish. The route would see us run down past the Causeway and up the hill and then parallel to the main drag along a bike track to the Oaks Campground. Lovely singletrack running and a cool fresh morning for it too. Sean guided us through here knowing the track well, his training ground. We pulled into the campground and then headed southeast down to the Nepean lookout passing Pisgah Rock and Machine Cratar, a couple of side tracks. The view from the lookout was fabulous, a steep drop off to the river affording views off to the south and Warragamba Dam.

Nepean Lookout. MrG, Terry and Rod.





We stopped for a bit and spoke with a mountain biker who was asking about the Jack Evans track further back up the road. We set off back along Nepean Lookout rd but peeled off to check out the infamous Jack Evans track. This track is a serious descent dropping down to Erskine creek which feeds into the Nepean. We ran down as far as the lookout and stopped to admire more wonderful country. I turned to Sean as we left and mentioned we'd have to check that track out properly one day.

The course Rod had mapped out was 34kms or so but I wanted a bit more distance in the legs so Sean and I turned off down the Pisgah Trail which heads off NE cutting its way along the ridgleline parallel to the Nepean. We had no idea what to expect having never been along here and were welcomed to a lovely singletrack, soft underfoot through some grassy forest. The trail tended downwards though and we knew we would have to climb out. I checked the Garmin wanting 4km out and 4km back. I really enjoyed the tranquility along here and before I knew it realised I was alone. Sean had pulled up to eat. I continued to where the trail started to peeter out and drop steeply. I figured I'd reached the escarpment and so turned back, just under 4km from the turn off.

I caught up to Sean and we retraced our footsteps back to the intersection, onto Nepean Lookout Rd and back to the Oaks campground. Sean fielded a call from Mel and had to cut short heading back to Glenbrook via the Oaks firetrail. I continued along Bennetts Firetrail, my destination Mt Portal and another lookout. I was running along the Woodford to Glenbrook trail now and enjoying the gentle descent to Euroka Clearing. As I rounded the final bend into the clearing there were literally hundreds of kangaroos about and a busload of Japanese tourists busily snapping away.
I stopped at one of the picnic spots to get my bearings ad then continued up the long hill out of the clearing. The turnoff for Mt Portal wasn't too far away. I checked my Garmn only to realise I had stopped it at Euroka and forgotten to turn it back on. No worries, I ran up to the lookout walking the steeper pinch up to the Tunnel View lookout diversion. Up and over a rise and then down to the Portal lookout itself. Spectacular views across the Sydney basin as far as the eye can see, in fact you can just make out the Sydney skyline some 65kms away.

Mt Portal looking back at the Sydney Basin





I took a few more photos and headed back to Glenbrook. Once back at the t-intersection there is the drop to the causeway and then the climb up to the gates. I bumped into a few mountainbikers and they kept me company back up the final hill.

Rod had graciously waited around for me and offered me some watermelon which I gladly accepted, thanks Rod. We spoke about putting on the Old Great North Road as part of the series, I reckon it would be a cracker of an addition so will put it up for some time in May, need to look at the calander.

So all up 43km in 4.07 for the morning and another pleasing week with 128kms of running and a short hard bike.

4 Comments:

At 11:29 AM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Superflake said...

Nice tough run for WS training.

 
At 4:37 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Unknown said...

You can come and play in our backyard anytime Spud!

:-)

 
At 7:46 PM, April 02, 2007, Blogger Horrie said...

You are certainly clocking up some quality miles there Spud. Love your work!

 
At 10:56 AM, April 03, 2007, Blogger Tesso said...

Sounds spectacular Spud. You must have really been in the zone if you didn't notice Mr G stopping for a feed!

I'm wondering what all the tourists thought when they saw a crazy running dude suddenly appear out of nowhere :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home