Sunday, March 25, 2007

Old Great North Road-50km




With the end of daylight savings and much cooler conditions I decided to revisit this wonderful trail through the Dharug and Yengo National Parks.
I ran this trail with the Terrigal Trotters in July last year and wrote up a course description/race report here:
http://spudrunning.blogspot.com/2006/07/old-great-north-road-fatass-run.html

This morning I wanted an out and back 50km starting from Wiseman's Ferry. I arrived at the trailhead at about 6.15am, it was drizzling rain and cool, perfect!
I carried my trusty 2ltr Lobo and an additional handheld that I would drop 10km in.
There was only one other person there when I arrived, a mountain biker just about to set off up Devine's hill as I hit the stopwatch. The first 2.2km is a long switchbacking hill rising some 200mtrs. I stayed right behind the mountain biker which made for an interesting climb, managing to keep him in sight until the ascent levelled off and he disappeared into the distance.

With rain overnight there was plenty water on the trail with large puddles covering the track, weaving around them and skipping over the smaller ones keeping me alert.
I was trying out my new 2120 trail shoes, on their maiden voyage. All up I was pleased with them, plenty of good traction with a fairly aggressive thread pattern.
They are extremely light only 10g heavier than the 2120 roadies. The upper has some tougher material added around the heel and toe areas but they didn't change the mesh, instead leaving it the same as the road shoes, obviously skimping and wanting to keep it light. I did find the ride was a tad dodgy over more technical trail where I didn't feel too stable in them, maybe a tad high, I'll need to run in them more to get a better feel for them.Apart from that they performed well. Enough about the shoes, the run itself was wonderful, the cooler temps making me a happy chappy, as everyone knows the weather in Sydney of late has been aweful.
I love the history of this trail with its convict built bridges and cobblestone strewn path. Some wonderful bush too and views off either side of the ridgeline to die for. I turned around at 25km and after a museli bar headed for home. Some good long downhills and a long climb out after Clare's Bridge making it good all round training for Western States. Just looked at my splits for both out and back, uncannily even.
25km-2.32:48
50km-2.32:45
Total-5.05:33

Very happy with this weeks training with 142kms running and a bike too, getting there.

7 Comments:

At 3:34 PM, March 25, 2007, Blogger Superflake said...

Nice run Spud. I thought you used the 2120's at Six Foot? Conditions were excellent this morning although I was in Centennial Park instead.

 
At 4:27 PM, March 25, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

I'm so sorry for not dropping by recently Spud. Your blog disappeared off my bloglines for some reason.

Mr Consistency - sounds like you had an amazing run out there today!

I also wanted to thank you for being the first one to suggest that I do the full Black Stump run & go for the Six Foot qualification. I confess that I thought it was a crazy idea at the time! Much of the finish is a blur but one thing I do vividly remember is you hanging over the barricade, grinning madly, as I ran down the finishing chute. It made it more special for me seeing you there :-) Thanks again.

 
At 5:14 PM, March 25, 2007, Blogger Tesso said...

Getting there .... seems to me you've already arrived! Great running there Spud.

I didn't realise the trail had such a history. I just googled it - very interesting.

 
At 6:47 PM, March 25, 2007, Blogger Hamburglar said...

That's a big week Spud! When was the last time you did > 140k's?

 
At 7:51 PM, March 25, 2007, Blogger Martin said...

awesome spud, you're making it look easy.

 
At 9:30 PM, March 26, 2007, Blogger undercover brother said...

the lobo is gold isnt it?
nice mileage dude.
youre gonna kill WS.

 
At 8:03 PM, March 31, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

Sounds like an awesome run Spud. A 'double' before WS perhaps?

You're certainly training well - 142k plus biking is a great week!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home