Monday, March 07, 2005

Nepean Sprint Triathlon 6pm Saturday

EDIT#2: Got me a trophy for my efforts, pick it up this week. Woohoo!!


EDIT: Just found out I finished second in my age group!! Rapt. I left early though so don't know if there was anything awarded?

I've never placed before...cool! :-)




What a weird time of the day to be racing I thought. Nice to have a lie in but truth be known I'd rather race early morning. Instead I was hanging out all day waiting to race.
Distance was 750mtr swim, 20km bike and 5km run. A great venue, flat and fast. The swim (non-wetsuit) went well after the initial thrashing of arms and legs for the first 100mtrs. We were swimming into the setting sun which made it difficult to see where the buoy was. I felt good in the water and came out in just under 15 mins ( a tad slower than I hoped but ok). The wind had picked up quite a bit and I knew this was gonna make for a tougher ride. T1 went without a hitch and I was flying down the backstraight of the lake hitting nearly 50km/hr, wind assisted. Thought I better make the most of the backstraights as the homestraight was terrible, head on wind struggling to stay above 30km/hr. 4 laps of the lake later and a warning from one of the officials to "keep to the left" ( I was so intent on staying as aerodynamic as possible on the tri bars with my head down, I veered off to the right) I reached T2. Great transition here I was out on the run in no time, (those brick sessions certainly helped) Run is 2.5km downwind to a witches hat and then back home into the wind. I stuck behind this guy who stepped out of T2 with me. We were running 4:10 kms. When we reached the witches hat he pulled away slightly. I caught him with about a km to go thinking I had seen the last of him but he took me just before the finish. I finished feeling strong and could of maybe pushed it a little harder on the run. Met up with Kanangra afterwards for a quick chat. Great little sprint session, I love this venue.
Well organised, thanks to Jim Prendergast and the Panthers Tri Club.

Splits were (with transitions)

Swim-14:58
Bike-35:14
Run-21:18

Total-1:12:30

3 Comments:

At 4:09 PM, March 07, 2005, Blogger tim said...

2nd in your age group!! Cool.

 
At 11:43 PM, March 07, 2005, Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on your placing Spud. Sounds like a great experience for you. Well done.

 
At 10:10 AM, March 08, 2005, Blogger Jen said...

Very cool Spud ! Congratulations on a fantastic result ! See you on Saturday.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home