Six Foot Training
Sun-6am Megalong Rd-Coxs River-Pluviometer-Return.
A fine morning for some 6 FT training. Only 5 of us turned up, MPHaz, Gasher, Expozay, Squeak112 and myself. Forecast was for temps to reach 30C at Katoomba so an early start was the way to go. We ran together quite leisurly to the Coxs. The river was quite swollen with water not far from the singletrack a good km out from the crossing, I've never noticed the the water here before. We decided the swaybridge was the way to go and besides I've never been across it so it was a good opportunity. Once at the campground we refilled our packs at the tank and then took a quick look-see at the water crossing. The rocks one could normally clamber across where no longer visible given the depth of the water. It wasn't flowing in torrents but enough to warrant our Bowtell Bridge option.
We headed in the direction of Mini-Mini and began the climb. Squeak112, MPHaz and myself ran the first inclines. On some of the steeper pinches we walked while Marty took off at a steady jog looking strong on the hills. The sun was by now starting to make itself known especially on the more open stretches going up Mini. The river crossings at Alum Creek and Little river were wonderful, about knee high and refreshingly cool. Squeak112 and I ran a far bit of Mini and continued to run good stretches of Pluvi too, eventually arriving at the top in a 1:25 split from the Coxs river, pretty much the split I ran at last years race.
Marty was already on his way down but decided to join us going back up. He did the same thing with X and Gasher when they arrived on our descent, Pluvio hillreps!
A quick look at the unimpressive pluviometer rain gauge and then the descent to the river.
It was getting pretty hot now so we were glad to be heading back. There were a few bushwalkers on the track looking worse for wear in the sun. They gave us some bemused looks as we ran back down Mini passing them again.The long downhills bringing back memories of 12FT in August, except it was probably a good 20c warmer now!
I ran well downhill and arrived at the Cox feeling quite good.
Shortly after crossing the bridge I began to struggle a bit, the heat and gradual ascent to Megalong affecting me. I wasn't too fussed so let Andrew go and just ran walked it back to the road. After a short recovery Squeak112 and I decided to go for a refreshing dip in the Megalong creek. How good was that, it was fantastic to hop into the cool water and just sit there for a while and all in a beautiful setting. Having never driven down Megalong road before, I never realised how pretty the area is. The drive back out of the valley, a twisting undulating road canopied in ferns and gum trees, wonderful stuff.
All up 36km in 4:54. I'd like to get out there once more before March.


1 Comments:
Pluvio Hill Reps??? Surely that is what they do in Hell - Marty must have done a deal with the devil ;-)
Sounds like a great day out Spud - I reckon I'll be having a crack at this one sometime soon too.
Post a Comment
<< Home