Update time
Spent Christmas at the mother in laws at Glenhaven, and so an opportunity to do some hill running. It was a simple case of there is no flat running around that area.
25th-Christmas Day- no running, family time.
26th-Boxing Day- Hilly run from Glenhaven to Annangrove via Bannerman Rd to Kenthurst and Round Corner and back to Glenhaven. Hot run, 13.2km-1:05:05
27th-Bike from Glenhaven to Riverstone return. 41km, tough on return leg as its mostly uphill.
28th-Ditto 26th- 13.2km-1:08:52, again hot and humid.
29th-Rest
30th- Glenhaven to Round Corner return this time via Hastings Rd and more hills. 9.5km-46:06
31st-Rest
Jan 1- Fatass Back Stump Run-
The hottest run I have ever done. I had to run it today as the rescheduled run for Monday was a no-no for me. Plan was to run it "easy" with Bogong next weekend, but there is no such thing on a day like today. It was so hot, I actually felt the road burning through my shoes on the way back up Berowra Waters road!
I ran well to the ferry in a group with Greg Love, Rob and Gasher and a new guy, taking it nice and easy. A few kms out from the ferry we heard a loud scream from behind as our new friend had taken a bad fall and whacked his knee pretty badly on a rock face. I called out for the others to come back with me, as I thought the worst that he had broken something and would need help getting out of there. Turned out he was badly bruised and swollen but started walking again and made his way back to Berowra via the Pikers Option. We continued down to the ferry, Greg and I pulling away on the singletrack. We boarded a timely ferry with Rob and Gasher also arriving just in time. It was getting bloody hot and I was thinking, shit this climb up to the trail turn off for the castle is gonna hurt. I kept thinking Bogong, save it for next weekend, so I slowed my pace accordingly, well I had no choice anyhow, it was so damn hot.
Running along the trail down to the castle I let Greg go, his pace too rich for me. Marty came by (coming back up the hill) shortly after looking strong and having a great run. Upon arrival at the castle Greg was still there just about to leave. A moments pause to take it in, a truly beautiful area and then onward and upward, the slog out of there. Again Greg put metres into me in no time and I was left to walk, crawl the steep pinches and try and run the flatter sections.
I passed Rob and Gasher on their way down a short while later.
I felt like shit when I reached the road, it must of been close to 40C. Running down to the ferry I battled a stitch after lashing back the remainder of my Camelbak. Just as I got to the ferry it was pulling out with Greg on board, no worries time for a breather, hot air that is!
I pulled into the shop on the other side and downed a cold can of coke, boy it tasted good. As I left I stopped to fill up my pack at the tap outside, Greg came up from behind after having a break on the shop's veranda. I informed him that I had no plan on taking the trail back up the hill to Turner Rd and would instead be taking the road. He was partly tempted but wanted the whole shebang. We parted and I continued up the road, can of coke in hand. I was pretty much commited to doing the road as a "softer" option with one eye on Bogong, glad I did too. The walk up the road was a hot affair though with the reflected heat off the bitumen burning the soles of my feet!
I ran from the roundabout on Turner Rd back to the finish and caught up with Marty and Kevin.
All up 31.7km in 3:51:47.
A great run and one I will try to keep doing every year. It was awesome to meet and share a few kms with one time 6FT winner Greg Love.


2 Comments:
That was a great effort on Sunday Spud in those conditions. Good luck at Bogong to Hotham. I'm sure you will do well.
Hey, you didn't mention to me that the dark side was also the hot side!
Good luck for the weekend Spud. After the Fatass on Jan 1st it'll probably seem easy(ish).
Post a Comment
<< Home