6 Foot Training Megalong-Pluvi Return-36km
I decided to go the trails and 6FT training this weekend instead of the 12hr Gosford Coastal Classic. I have been in a pattern of running an ultra- recovering- repeat. So with the Western States 100 miler the main focus for the year, I figured I need to get back to high mileage steady weeks of training and of course more specific training ie..hills!
It was cool with overcast skies, the forecast 30C thankfully never eventuating.
There were 10 runners in all, 3 of which went for the shorter Alum creek return trip.
I ran with Scott (Sub 50) and Actionman to the river with Rod the Hornet, Superflake,Orunner and AimHigh just behind us. The trail was in good nick, no obstructions. Topped up at the tank where the others got a jump on me up Mini.
Ran the flats and walked the hills with Superflake feeling strong, got to the top of Mini where Scott, Actionman and Rod where waiting for us to regroup. We continued down the saddle to Alum Creek, nice running along the river, the 3 creek crossings before the Pluvio ascent were low and easy to negotiate.
The climb up Pluvio went by more comfortably than Mini with a fair amount of power walking, we reached the top with a split of 1.27 from the river.
I showed the guys the unimpressive Pluviometer, a quick refuel and off back down the hill. This was the best part with Scott, Actionman and I fanging it down the hills, loving the cool rain on our faces. We reached the top of Mini and looked around, no one in sight, we figured we'd regroup at the Coxs.
More hills and then a snake! Actionman called out"snake" and the breaks went on, I'm sure Sub 50 slid a good metre or so on the dry top coat of the trail. It was a beauty, probably 5ft long, black and not in a hurry to move aside, first snake I've seen on numerous traverses of the 6FT.
We ran hard to the river and enjoyed a quick stop and camelbak refill until Rod turned up.
Crossed the river (very low) and jogged the best part of the remaining 8 km back to the road at a good clip, very encouraging.
Finished in 4.10 for a magic mornings training. Actionman sliced open a water melon and we were in heaven, off to the creek for a quick dip and then back home. Looking forward to getting out there again before March, can't get enough 6FT ;-)


5 Comments:
Mmmmm. I cannot wait to get out to the Track - only 2 weeks to go until my first trip out there! I'm very excited - although reassured that today was your first snake sighting. Ick!
Sounds like a great day out Spud.
So we have 6ft Track and 12ft Track, I'm waiting for the day you announce the running of the 18ft Track :-)
You forgot the big goanna in the tree going up Pluvi. My legs were ok until we had to run back downhill again. And then I was dead going up from Cox's.
Good running Spud or should we call you masai Spud now ;)
Seems that bus might be calling again....
Glad you got to see a snake Spud.
By the way, Dave said it was 'only' 35.x km.
Post a Comment
<< Home