Monday, January 01, 2007

Black Stump Fatass Run-33km

After a restless 4hrs of sleep I was feeling quiet shitty upon arrival at the community centre in Berowra. However the cooler temps compared to the furnace like 45C last year improved my mood somewhat. The massive turnout of 100 plus runners blew me away. This was my very first fatass run in back 2003 with only 17 starters, the following year there were 5 starters. What a difference making it an official qualifier for 6FT makes.
The plan was to go reasonably hard to the ferry and see what the legs felt like doing on the way back up Berrilee Rd. We arrived at the ferry in 55mins just as it was returning from the other side, nice timing.
It was very humid thirsty running thus far and the camelbak was required. I topped up at the water tap before hopping on the ferry. Quite a gathering as we regrouped for the crossing.
On the road up to the trail head to the castle I settled into a nice rythm and just plugged away up the 4km bitumen hill. I wasn't feeling particularly strong but comfortable. A couple of runners passed me, I was happy to let them go, knowing what lay ahead.
Once on the firetrail and recovered from the climb, I felt strong again and fanged it to the castle. No hanging around taking in the views this year, in fact most runners just touched the castle and turned for the climb back out. Funny how things have changed, I remember the first couple of runs here, we would stop, have lunch take in the views, them were relaxed fatass days :)
Today I was feeling good and wanted to break 4hrs for the first time. The firetrail to the castle felt a lot easier this year, was it graded, certainly made good time getting back up to the road?
A good opportunity to see where everyone is placed here with the double back. Fats passed me on the way down having lost the trail, he slowed for a quick chat and then took off, a man on a mission. So many CRs and Striders, lots of familiar faces.
The run back down to the ferry along the road was fun, I reeled in quite a few runners here as I fanged it down the hill, hoping to just catch a ferry and a 10 minute jump on them. Alas, upon arrival the ferry was on the other side of the river and they all caught up to me again. A good opportunity to refuel, I ate half a powerbar and sucked away on the camelbak.
The climb out up the GNW trail was as brutal as ever but having runners with me pulled me along quicker than usual. Once across the other side of the gully I ran strong to the Turner St trailhead, downed a can of coke from the drinks drop, thanks Jan and Kevin, and chased the girl I'd been leapfrogging with.
Looking at the time sub 4hrs was a definite, I was now hoping sub 3.45 . I caught another 3 runners before a sprint to the finish stopping the clock in 3.34 for a 28 minute PB. I'll take that.
Caught up with Jan who had a nice cold beer on ice. Legend!
Hung around for an hour or so watching the remaining runners finishing. Lots of fast times, conditions were favourable, or was it the 6FT carrot?
Great run and a top way to kickstart 2007.

Thank you Kevin T, Jan Herrmann and Superflake for helping out.

2 Comments:

At 6:57 AM, January 02, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

Fantastic run Spud - well done. Lovely to see you out there today

What a great way to start the new year!

 
At 11:19 PM, January 02, 2007, Blogger Superflake said...

Looking real good for another Six Foot PB mate. Every runner looked soaked from the humidity. It sure looked like hard work. Great run!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home