Monday, February 12, 2007

Striders Equaliser-

The intention was to bash it at the Equaliser this year, looking at something in the range of 66-68mins. I have ran this race the last two years in 67:53 and 69:45 respectively.
Ran well to the creek, trying to hold back a little for the tough climb in the back half. Still it's hard to not get caught up in the early downhill pace and I made good time to the first creek crossing. It had rained hard in the wee hours and so the creeks were flowing. Straight through water almost up to my knees. Great stuff lots of mud, slippery trails, shame my legs felt like shit. As soon as I hit the hill back up to suburbia and the 1.5km of bitumen, I was knackered, no energy at all. Once on the road I recovered a bit and felt good re-entering the bush. The downhills were great, I was passing heaps of runners, but like last year I had nothing on the hills. I still was holding my position with the aid of the descents but the last 3kms saw me passed by a few. I finished bang on 71 mins feeling pretty shite really.
The only solace was looking at results from others, it seemed the conditions slowed most by a few minutes. Still I should have felt better out there.

After a few slices of fruit and a drink I recovered and then set off for another trip to the creek return. A more relaxed pace but still felt like shit coming back up the hill.

All up 22km for the morning.

5 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Tesso said...

Nice work Spud.

I know how you feel. When you have a crap race and so does everyone else (for whatever reason) it helps a little. But you still can't help but wonder why and beat yourself up a bit.

 
At 12:16 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger 2P said...

Lol you should have come up to The Track - perfect conditions up there yesterday :-)

Mate doing the rounds of the blogs - everyone seemed to have an ordinary dig.

I just love the fact that you felt shite on the bitumen but felt good re-entering the bush - maybe it's an allergy?

Nice work mate :-)

 
At 12:20 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger tim said...

wee hours :) Is that when you get out of bed for a piss?

Mate there is a bit under 4 weeks before the big one. After a bit of a taper you will be flying.

 
At 2:38 PM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Bernie G said...

Phil, it seems you and I had similar experiences yesterday. I think I may even retire from this run.

 
At 8:31 PM, February 13, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

You've been doing a fair bit lately. Probably on the edge where you can have a good or bad race.

The conditions would count for a bit too - especially if you're not feeling the best.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home