Good Weekend
Sat- Striders 10km Lane Cove-13km
Big turn out with lots of new faces.
I decided to assist with 45min pacing, taking the bludge option. In truth I worked hard in parts as one does on this course. Still a good tempo workout and I wasn't buggered at the end.
Sun- Mega Megalong Fatass Run-36km
Up bright an early again for a trip to the Blue Mountains.
Having run this one four weeks ago in 4.10, my goal for today was "time on feet" so I targetted 4.5hrs. After purchasing some cheap 6FT merchandise from last years race, we (Sub 50 and Hamburglar and I) took off at a relaxed pace. It almost felt like race day with the conga line that formed up and over Pinnacle Hill and then down to the river. Stopped at the water tank where Sailaway informed us there was no water left. Did the run-walk thing up Mini, my legs were feeling quite tired actually. Thankfully it was cool with some early morning cloud cover and a nice breeze blowing. We hit the top in around the same split as last time. Ran down the saddle where I started feeling better, always do here, along the creek skipping over the crossings. On the climb up Pluvio, MPH arrived after missing the start by 20 minutes. He was flying but stopped and walked with us for a bit before jogging off to the summit.
Split to the top (from river) was 1.28, easier than last time. Topped up the water supplies generously dropped off by Kevin the day before. Good thing too as there were still a lot of runners carrying nothing more than a handheld 600ml water bottle. (bloody stupid)
We enjoyed the run back down to the river reeling in quite a few runners along the way. Bumped into Dog, Bernie and Kit too just before the river.
This time we decided to plunge into the river for a quick cooldown. the sun was out now and it was hot. The river felt so good. The return to Megalong Rd was a little slower, at one stage I remarked to Scott that I was running on empty, I think he was feeling the same way too.
So we walked some and ran some to the top of Pinnacle hill. We still managed to reel in a couple more runners and then I decided to get going. The heat was getting to me and although I had enough water I was dreaming about the fruit I had waiting back at the car. I needed to get it done so ran for home.
Finished in 4.17 so almost mission accomplished. These runs are "gold" in the legs, nothing simulates 6FT like 6FT!
Thank you Kevin Tiller for your efforts, legend!
Another thing worth mentioning is the trip along Megalong Rd. How good is it? Driving through this part of the world is awesome. The tree canopy and views off to the Katoomba and Blackheath escarpments simply fantastic.
Total for week:
Running-102km
Bike-1hr spin


5 Comments:
Huge weekend there Spud.
You must be able to run the 6ft Track with your eyes closed by now!
Nice work Spud - you must have left shortly before I came through.
LOL Sailaway had it wrong - plenty of water in the tank when I got there and I'm pretty sure it didn't rain between 8AM and 2PM :D The top tap is a tricksy bugger.
Would have served all the dodo's with just a single bottle right if it was empty though...
The views are brilliant - I always love the bit where you come back onto the cleared space (Pinnacle Hill) and look back towards the tree - fantastic. It's also why I run the stairs so much - I love the green of Nellies.
Nice work Spud - you must have left shortly before I came through.
LOL Sailaway had it wrong - plenty of water in the tank when I got there and I'm pretty sure it didn't rain between 8AM and 2PM :D The top tap is a tricksy bugger.
Would have served all the dodo's with just a single bottle right if it was empty though...
The views are brilliant - I always love the bit where you come back onto the cleared space (Pinnacle Hill) and look back towards the tree - fantastic. It's also why I run the stairs so much - I love the green of Nellies.
I'm assuming most of the runners doing fatass found out from CR? Didn't they read the warnings about needing a 2l minimum camelbak. Stupid as you said. Good runs on the weekend mate. Black Range was very hot for me too going the other way back.
Those views from the hill are the best.
A bloke from our group (Mike) did the run - haven't heard how he went. Always runs with a camelback though so should have been OK.
Post a Comment
<< Home