Six Foot Track Marathon 2007
Man I love this race; it’s got it all and just gets better.
It’s become a bit of a CR reunion of sorts, with a lot of interstaters joining in for the day too.
I was delighted to see Fats pulled off such a fantastic result; he was on cloud nine (rightly so) when I congratulated him. Some great results-
Mellum mate Whippet showing what a little training can do, watch out WS!
And Tim, soldiering on for a painful buckle finish.
Amjan proving to be as consistent as ever at 6FT.
Jen Runs inspirational effort, proving dreams can come true.
MPH finally getting the finish he deserves.
KIT running a very impressive 5.14.
Mr G’s sub 5 and honking finish!
Sub 50's storming 4.48 debut!
Lots more…
It was an honour to do registrations on the Friday arvo and a great way to put faces to names.
I felt very relaxed this year, strange giving the incredulous rev up on CR. The obsession gets bigger every year. My plan of course was to go one better than my PB from 2 years ago of 4.52. It was buckle year too. I had had a long taper (felt too long TBH) and had no excuses. I optimistically applied for a wave one start knowing well I’d most likely be pushed out, just missing the cut. However, I really wanted a better start than last year where I lost a lot of time down Nellies. So I toed the line in wave 2 ready to explode down the first few hundred metres to the steps. Man it was fun tearing out of the blocks trying to get to the steps in a good position. How more runners don’t come a cropper here is beyond me.
I was well positioned and made it to the Nellies Glen sign in 12:14, running with Sub 50 and Mr G for a bit through to the open valley floor. It was cool, a nice change from the recent humidity of Sydney running. I enjoy running along here with the views off to the distant peaks. Scott and I were moving along well and started overtaking a few runners before the Megalong Road crossing arriving there in 41mins, 2 minutes ahead of schedule.
We passed more runners going up Pinnacle Hill and again along the descent to the river. The split of 1.20 at the Cox was bang on what I wanted. Waded through the glorious cool water and headed straight for the climb. I didn’t stuff around at aid stations at all this year instead opting to carry a handheld water bottle, which proved to be a wise move. I noticed Sub 50 wasn’t with me anymore and figured he’d stopped to empty his shoes or something, so continued on up the hill. I ran a lot more of Mini than usual, just tapping out an easy pace, not fast by any stretch but it was forward motion. I felt superb on the climbs this year and reached Lemon Tree Yards in 1.45 and 3 minutes up on my PB split. Played leapfrog with Sportsman along here for a while, he had me on the ups with a very impressive pace, while I passed him on the downs. The cooler temps made such a difference, I topped out on Mini in 1.56 and was looking forward to the run down to Alum Creek (2.06 split). Sub 50 caught up to me again and we travelled together crossing the creeks onward toward Pluvi.
I mentioned to Sub 50 that a good steady power walk up Pluvi would leave us with something left for the Black Range. We still ran some of the flatter stuff and smaller inclines and in the process passed a few more runners. I eventually pulled away from Scott feeling strong as I hit the top in 2.43 with my fastest KOM split. I planned on filling the bottle with some coke but forgot and just grabbed some watermelon and continued on. A short while later I noticed Dog and Uncle Dave coming into view. This surprised me while spurring me on at the same. Just as we entered the next aid station I passed them unnoticed, I didn’t stop. I was still feeling great with a good level of energy, constantly sipping sportsdrink from my handheld the difference I think. The Black Range has been a bugger for me on most of my 6FT runs but this year was less daunting. I tried to stay relaxed and just tap out that steady pace, again passing numerous runners in the process.
I noticed Whippet ahead looking back and walking and figured he might be struggling. As I pulled up alongside him he mentioned he was cramping. We ran together for a bit enjoying the fact that we were both set for PBs if we could hold it together, but there was still a lot of work to be done. When Andy ushered me on after slowing with cramps I opened up a gap. Another 200 meters and I started getting my first signs of cramp in both calves. I backed off a little and tried to remain relaxed.
I was running in a group of 3 with a girl and two guys. We were constantly leapfrogging each other, each with their own strengths. This provided some entertainment along the 8km stretch to Deviation. I ran a little with Sportsman again who was set to smash his PB. I was happy to pass the first aid station at the bend before Deviation and roll into the second in 3.39 (8mins ahead of PB splits). The reception was great, with a few familiar faces about. I drank a cup of coke and set off for the next couple of climbs before Caves Rd. A couple of runners passed me looking very strong running up the first ascent. I ran hard downhill and then slogged the ups. Still feeling quite good and knowing I had a PB in the bag, I guess I was switching off a little mentally. I reached Caves Road in 4.01, nine minutes up and after a great gee up from Don Juan, made for the Caves. The rollercoaster ride along Caves Road hurts, as you try to hang on to a good pace and it was here that I had my first and only energy low of the race. Not long before the Mt George firetrail I hear Whippet come up on my shoulder apparently he was never more than 100 metres behind me. We ran together for a bit and then “no ankles” Hewat took off down the hill. I tried to stay with him but quickly lost sight of him. Still I was way pleased to run hard and pass several more runners on the final 2km. The noise emanating from below at Caves house was audible 1-2km out and gave me a massive rush. How good is this finish line? I hit the pavement and was greeted by several of our CR cheer squad, cramped and hobbled home in 4.42, triumphant with a 10 minute PB. Giddyup!
It was good to finally post a time more in line with my 12FT first half splits and a great confidence booster going into a big block of training for Western States.
Thanks as ever to the untiring Kevin Tiller and the RFS.
This race is magic!


9 Comments:
Awesome run Spud, to break your PB by that much is huge. Western States here you come!
Speed? Endurance? Speed? Endurance? I am confused. Well done on Saturday. Huge run.. Brendan
Excellent run Phil. Glad to see you got the PB streak going again. Looking good for the continuing WS100 campaign. Cheers mate.
Congrats on the PB. I cann't wait for June.
Woohoo! Great stuff Spud. Gees, a 10 minute PB!
I had a chat to Brendan this morn (he was in Brissie) and he mentioned something about those who tapered properly having better runs. So maybe yours seemed long but was perfect.
Do we get to see a pic of these famous buckles?
A magic run to be sure and posts like yours make it all the more magical for those who have not yet done it. Certainly gets the blood flowing and edging me out the door to start planning the next goal.
Well done Spud. Yeah I want a buckle photo too!!!
Sensational run Spud. A 10 minute PB is huge. WS is going to be huge. Keep up the good work mate!
Totally agree with your first sentence Spud. It'll be great to be there next year when Kev gets his 1000 starters.
Well done on the PB! Ten minutes is big. Must be close to the 'elite' start wave :)
Good to see you at the Edge. Hope the form roll continues towards WS.
Congratulations Spud great run!!
Post a Comment
<< Home