Gosford to Sydney-96km


With a clash of dates this year for those running Western States I decided to run PMC a month earlier. I tried to get a few Western State runners to join me but alas in the end I was to run it alone. An early ride on the train from Hornsby to Gosford, very pretty too, I had never taken this train before had me arriving in Gosford at 7.15, I got going a minute later.
After running quite a few hilly trail runs of late I was looking forward to a more sustained effort with few walk breaks. The plan was around 10hrs with a good steady flow of carbs going in along the way. I carried the 2-litre Camelbak and had prepared some food for the 25kms or so between Gosford and the Road Warriors café, which would be my first opportunity to get some food in.
PMC is a great run with a wonderful sense of journey to it. The idea of arriving back at the Opera House late in the day is a wonderful carrot indeed.
The early kms were good, even the climb up Debenham Road to the Pacific Highway where I tapped out a nice pace. It was warm for this time of the year, perfect conditions.
The long descent to Mooney Creek was divine, bell birds and whip birds all chorusing away as my mind drifted away to distant races. The road has recently been resealed along here making for a very comfortable ride to the bottom. I passed the Great North Walk trailhead at Mooney Creek and my mind wandered back to November’s GNW100 miler and how tough we were all doing it coming through here with some 140 odd kms already in the legs..
I felt strong on the climb out and pushed on without any difficulty at all. Time was good too, not far off the splits I did on the down run a couple of years ago.
Calga/ Peat’s Ridge interchange came up fast and not long after I pulled into the Road Warriors Café. I didn’t stop for long just grabbed a vegemite sandwich from the pack and pushed on figuring I had enough water to see me through to the Mooney Mooney servo another 10km away.
I tried to keep a steady flow of food going in- a museli bar, vegie sandwich and a banana thus far. Surprisingly my legs were in good nick after a big week with no taper going into this run and I once again enjoyed the descent to the Mooney Servo. I quickly grabbed a bottle of Gatorade, refilled the camelbak at the servo tap and made for the bridge. The look I got from a couple of locals in the servo shop was gold, CR tritop and lycra bike pants, not what they were expecting on a quiet Saturday morning.
After I crossed the Hawkesbury I decided that I would take my first walking break on the climb, this was a training run after all and I do plan on walking at Western States next month.
The marathon mark came up shortly before the Pie in the Sky in around 3.55, so I was moving along a bit faster than intended. I stopped here of course and enjoyed a veggie pie before continuing toward Cowan.
As I trotted out the lonely stretch to Cowan a couple of riders pulled up alongside me and said g’day, turned out to be Will Kalees and Richard Saunders both of whom ran last years PMC. Will also ran the Glasshouse 100 in September last year. They both slowed down and offered encouragement, how cool was that! In fact I was to see them on a number of occasions as they were out doing a 180km ride with loops around Bobbin Head.
I guess it was just past Berowra on the way to Mt Colah that I started faltering energywise. I was eating and drinking regularly but just fell into a slump for some reason. I stopped at Mt Colah shops and bought a coke which perked me up. As I was leaving I noticed they had some Up and Go in the fridge so I decided to try one of them too, must say it went down a treat.
Turning into Kuringai Chase road for the Bobbin Head loop is a nice milestone. I was slightly more perked up now so picked up the pace again on the run down to the Head.
Once again Will and Richard passed offering encouragement. I hadn’t been down this side of Bobbin Head since last year and with the spate of the recent bush fires through the area clearly evident right up to the side of the road.
Once at the bottom I ducked into the shop and bought an icey pole, how good was that. Another refill at the water tap and onward and upwards. I ran the best part of the 4km climb to the top with renewed energy, but still it’s a long slog back to the highway.
Once there though and with the city skyline visible you know you’re almost home.
I guessed I was on 9.30 pace as I ran the undulations of Werona, Lindfield and Strickland Avenues into Chatswood stopping for the first time in a while at the lights of Victoria and Archer Streets.
I got frustrated having to stop again numerous times at traffic lights, one in particular the intersection of Pacific Hwy and Falcon St. I must have waited a good 5 minutes for the little green fella, good thing I wasn’t chasing PBs.
It’s a great feeling see the Harbour Bridge in full view as you round Alfred St, a quick run up the stairs and onto the walkway, almost there. Across the bridge down into Argyle St across Circular Quay and at last the final few hundred metres where you can soak it up.
I know this was a training run but couldn’t help get a little “caught up in the moment” as I ran up the Opera House steps and planted a kiss on one of its sails…sheer magic!
9.27, a time I was well pleased with.
So another good training week with 150kms running total. Actually I ran 193km for the Sun-Sat 7 day week but won’t claim it, as my training week is Mon-Sun. :)


7 Comments:
Fantastic stuff Spud. What a great report. It has me wishing I hadn't changed my mind about doing it this year. Maybe 2008. Though that Opera House finish sounds sort of special.
Great training run Spud. Looks good for WS100.
Nice one Spud - you have certainly whetted my appetite for for June.
Fantastic run for a training run sheesh!
9:27 for a PMC training run puts most of us to shame. You are certainly churning out the big ones. Looking forward to seeing you on Saturday.
good to see youre not cheating on those weekly totals mate.
great run.
u r going to go sooooooo quickly at ws.
Spud,
Great run. The sportstracks and google maps are nice. It's quite a journey PMC isn't it. That last 20k looks like a nice way to fininsh a long run.
Making me nervous reading about it.
Great read Spud - loved it. A beauty to get in before WS. Hope the preparation continues to go well.
Post a Comment
<< Home