Monday, May 21, 2007

Sydney Morning Herald Half Marathon 2007



I hadn’t planned on running this one hard as two days before I was supposed to be pacing my brother in-law to a 1.50 finish. With that in mind I went through a fairly big week mileage wise with just over 100kms in the legs on race day. The brother in law dns’ed with illness at the last minute, so I figured I’d run it as a long tempo run with a 95 minute finish or so.
I lined up with Sub50 and Keith from work near the front figuring it would be good to at least get a good start given the bottleneck a kilomtere into the run.
I joked with Horrie and Professor at the start, as more 90 minute runners joined them on Horrie’s bus.

Pat Carroll got us under way and the early pace was fast. Sub50 and Keith soon disappeared and Horrie and the 90-minute bus pulled away too. In fact by the time we made it into the Domain they were out of sight! I looked at my 3km split of 12:34 and figured that would do, I will back off and run my own race now not worrying about pace buses etc. It was kind of nice rolling through the Domain, pushing but not killing myself. I was steadily knocking out 4.15s, which surprised me, and wasn’t feeling overly taxed aerobically. I had no concerns I could maintain this speed with the high mileage of late, it was just a matter of the aerobic capability.
Every now and again I would notice a few of the 90-minute bus guys ahead in the distance. Horrie was still out of sight but I could see Langswm, Professor and Brick at times. Coming out of the Domain on the first lap, I passed Brick. I was feeling great and looking forward to the Hunter St downhill and the flat stretch to the Argyle Cut.
The CR cheersquad were brilliant, a great lift just when you need it at the bottom of the Argyle St climb. The legs were doing ok on the uphills a tad tired but what surprised me most was how easy the flat speed felt. I would catch runners I know are faster than me on the flats only to have them pull away on the hills. I would have imagined it would be the other way round? I passed Langswm flying down Napolean St and hit the half way mark in 44:50.
The addition of sportsdrink at the end of the first lap was welcome this year.
The run back to the Domain on the second lap was just a matter of holding the pace and keeping a little in reserve for the last 5km. I passed Prof as we wound our way around the rocks but he soon repassed me along with Tom Silk (who went on to have a great run, well done Tom) on the climb up Hunter St where I slowed a little. Once at the top however I settled back into 4.15s and caught Prof on the way into the Domain.
Heading down to Mrs Mac’s chair I could see Horrie on the other side, probably 400 metres ahead? Brick was just ahead (having overtaken me again) too looking like he was struggling a little.
I ran hard up the hill by the Art Gallery and out onto the turnaround passing Brick.
Again back on my favourite part of the course I ran steadily along Macquarie St and then bombed it down Hunter St passing a fair few runners, downhill trail running paying off I guess. At 18km-1.16:07 I realised I could go sub 90 for the first time and this gee’ed me up no end. I ran well up Argyle St to the 19km mark, 1:20:38, so sub 90 in the bag, let’s see by how much now.
I spotted Horrie in the distance and thought hmmm... is he slowing, maybe I can catch him? Once over that little rise along Kent St I thought bugger it, let’s see if these legs have any speed in them now. I flew down Napolean St knowing quite well there was a long stretch to the finish line. Not wanting to redline I eased off a tad and just stayed under anaerobic. With about 300mtres to go I figured I’d sprint in. I did so passing a number of runners; Gun time 88:59, unbelievable! It’s nice to see the efforts of recent training paying off. It was also great to see so many CRs finishing under 90 minutes.
Back to the White’s house in the rocks for some afters (thanks guys) and then off to the Palisades for a few ales, a perfect way to end the morning.
Oh and before I forget, thanks to Dave (ORunner) and Hamburglar for suggesting 90 minutes. You must have gotten into my head guys. :)

Splits:

3km-12:34
4km-16:57
5km-21:03
7km-29:41
8km-33:40
Halfway-44:50
12km-50:13
15km-63:15
16km-67:26
18km-76:07
19km-80:38
21.1km-88:59

Weekly total- 124km.

10 Comments:

At 12:36 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

Incredible Spud. Awesome effort, well done!

 
At 12:44 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Dave said...

Onya mate, I was pretty sure that if you had a crack you'd knock sub 90 over, certainly a much better chance than me :)

 
At 4:07 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Superflake said...

Fantastic run mate. Certainly having the endurance helps you on the 2nd lap of this course when all around start to fade. Better update the PB's on the blog.

 
At 6:16 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Awesome Spud - knew you could do it!

 
At 6:18 PM, May 21, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome run Phil. Man you got me going. I was also very happy with my run as I was expecting a PW due to calf injury but PB'd by about 45 secs.
Good luck at WS - will be watching with great interest. Good on you mate.

 
At 9:21 PM, May 21, 2007, Blogger Brendan said...

We all thought tapering was a waste of time. Now you've proven it. Well done

 
At 1:37 AM, May 22, 2007, Blogger Tesso said...

Absolutely fantastic Spud!!! And on what I hear is a tough course. And crowded.

Bet not many others managed a nice little negative split like that.

Look out WS100!

 
At 2:03 PM, May 22, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good one Spud. Sub-90'd before you have sub-40'd. Seems very "Irish" to me!!

 
At 7:16 PM, May 23, 2007, Blogger Horrie said...

Glad that I provided the inspiration to get you to a sub 89. It would have been good if you let me know you went past as I may have joined you in the sprint finish.

 
At 7:49 PM, May 24, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

Brilliant PB Spud - and in a 124km week! You're fit. Loved reading about the chase of Horrie - do it again at WS!

I'm guessing the slower uphills is just due to not being fresh. But who needs to be when you can run sub-90!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home