Monday, September 24, 2007

Glasshouse Mountains 100 Mile Report 2007

I very nearly didn’t turn up for the Glasshouse 100 miler this year but with all of Mellum putting their hands up and my love for this event I just had to be there.

With lots of rain the preceding week, like last year, we were fully expecting water and muddy trails. However the day dawned to beautiful clear skies. We were blessed and Ian Javes’ prayers were answered.

CP2-1a-2-2a-3 (16.4km) Faster than last year, I seemed to get pulled along by the guys ahead. I let Dave and Nic do their thing up front, their pace way too rich for me.
We got our feet wet pretty much from the get go with the first crossing of Hamburger Hill. Enjoyed the climb up Beerburrum but the descent was treacherous as we skated along trying to brake on the wet mossy and leafy path. At one stage I got a head of steam up and ended up off the side on the dirt trying to get more traction to slow down.
I joined Parso (100km runner) on the run from 2-3 enjoying a good pace whilst negotiating the muddy forest trails.

Cp3-4-5 (18.2km) I stopped briefly at 3 and poured a couple of cups of sports drink down. Left there chasing Parso but he soon pulled away on the trail to 4 as we circled the twins. I struggled a little here and decided the pace was too rich, so pegged it back a tad. I was already 15mins up on last year. CP4- I met up with Vegie for the first time, just a quick hello and I was off for the gnarly stuff at 4-5. I enjoyed the more technical stuff, the relentless flat running is quite monotonous on the muscles and I found the “soft” gullies between 4-5 offered a reprieve and a chance to stretch out the calves and hammies. The trail was interesting, again like last year you just pinned the ears back and let fly down the soft embankments hoping for dear life you wouldn’t come a cropper. Then you’d slog your way up and out the other side. Weetbix hill came and went with Inside Sport reporter Lisa strategically placed to capture the pain on each runners face. I would see her several more times throughout the day and each time she picked a beaut spot for photos. I rolled into 5 feeling great and better for the hills. No drop bag just grabbed a quick camelback refill and continued.

Running along the Goat Track between 5-6 I was caught by Darlo who was certainly enjoying the rougher terrain. We stayed together keeping each other honest all way to 6. I wore my North Face trail shoes, a last minute decision ahead of the road shoes and was glad for the extra traction they afforded. I did leave my 2120s in a drop at CP8 but would end up not using them.

At 6 I grabbed a tin of creamed rice washed down with a mouthful of powerade from my drop, a handful of gus and left for 8. Darlo ran with me again and mentioned he would like a sub 20hr finish, great I thought maybe we could stay together and pull each other along. It was on the straight section before Raens Rd we noticed Nic ahead in the distance walking. We both pulled up alongside and had a chat. We stayed together arriving into 8. There were a lot of people milling about, this being one of the busiest CPs in the race. Miss Boonarga (Ann) was there as usual with a great big smile and lots of encouragement.I decided to get in and out as soon as I could, so after a quick refill of the pack I was off on the first 8 loop. I covered this loop in 1.20 last year and at this stage was a good 30 minutes up on last years split. I decided another 80 minute split would do fine. I enjoy this loop every year, the flat section along the shaded old rail bed simply wonderful. As I made my way back up the hill to 8 I noticed a few runners had missed the turn off at the mango tree. I saw Tim and Whippet followed closely by Eagle and reminded each of them to turn right at the tree.

Back at 8 I got weighed and arranged for my drop bag to be left back at Base should I decide to switch to the 2120s. My feet were holding up very well so I left well enough alone deciding to wash my feet and change socks later at Base (101kms). I left the aid station for the second loop climbing the hill whilst munching away on some fruit. About 4-5 km into the loop I noticed a figure in the distance coming toward me. I thought bugger someone has decided to do the loop in reverse. Turned out it was Eagle, who had missed the turn off at the mango tree and was now doing the second loop first and in reverse! I guided him back to the correct turnoff, feeling bad for him; he had added a good 4kms to his trip. Ever the poised Eagle he didn’t appear too fazed.
I arrived back at 8 taking 58 minutes to do the second loop, similar to last year.

I ate some more creamed rice and after a quick catch up with Vegie and Dog left for the new trail to 7. I was feeling good with a fair portion of the technical stuff out of the way. I t was a case of knuckling down to a good pace along the flatter sections now; well at least up to the Beerwah loop. I enjoyed the newer sandy trail to 7 arriving there in good time. I was alone now with no one in sight ahead, (well Tugger was a good 90 mins ahead at this stage) and I wasn’t sure who was in third spot.
I stopped at 7 briefly grabbing a Gatorade from my drop, which I would sip on all the way to 6. Beerwah was majestic with the sun alighting its western face. I followed the rollercoaster ride of hills along the powerlines looking back every now and again to gauge what kind of gap I had on third place. As I crested each hill I’d look back but there was no one in sight. I was relieved as I was beginning to feel the pace. The Beerwah loop was truly awesome, wet and sloshy gullies once more. I was pretty knackered arriving at 6 stopping to pick up my drop bag and eat some more fruit and rice. The trail was very well marked and despite some of the dolomite arrows been washed away in the rain I had no difficulty picking up the well placed tape and arrows on the trees.

Back at 5 I asked the CP volunteers who was behind me, I was informed it was Rachel who was running with Fat Bloke, apparently around 30 minutes back.
Last year I ran the fastest section from 5-1a so I was looking forward to a fast section again this year. The trail seemed different this year for some reason, probably because I was so distracted last year running that section with Fat Bloke. I struggled a bit and needed a few walk breaks to recover. I stopped very briefly at 1a preferring to have an extended stop when I got back to Base. Hamburger Hill once more I was moving along steadily.

At the top near the clearing I looked back, still a good gap on third.
I pulled into 2 (101km) after a very wet run from 1a in 11.32, still almost 30 minutes ahead of last years split. It was just after 5pm and I had pre-ordered a pizza for 5.15pm. I changed into some fresh clothes, put my headlamp into my pack, washed my feet, re-lubed and then proceeded to eat anything in sight. Rachel’s friend and crew Beck was very kind offering to help out when she could. I was half way through a cup of Pumpkin soup and just about to get up and leave when the pizza guy arrived. Perfect I feared I’d miss him. I quickly wolfed down 2 slices and took off back to 1a. I hope the other runners arriving finished it off.I had spent a good 15-20 mins there, but considered it time invested.

Not long out of Base Rachel came into view looking strong and smiling away. We greeted each other briefly and not far behind her was Taz Devil.
I figured the time I had lost to them could be made up with a strong run to 9 and the time they would spend at Base. I guessed most runners would spend the most time at this checkpoint. I ran hard to 1a, once there just called out my number and continued.

I was looking forward to getting onto the eastern side of the course. A mental battle won, less than 60kms to go. As I crossed Moffat’s road I switched on the headlamp, looked back for any signs of third place, no lights. A light drizzle began to fall, quite refreshing I remembered. I was still feeling strong and knew once I did the right things, eating and drinking I should push on and cement my position. The water a Javes’ pool was cascading across the road; we were warned about this during the pre race dinner. I ploughed straight through, no choice. The water was cool and soothed my aching calves and thighs. The hill on the other side of the road leading up to CP9 was very slippery, wet mud caked my shoes rendering the outsole grip null and void as I slid backwards. At 9 the lovely Dutch couple there greeted me, helping out again this year. I dropped the camelback, grabbed my token and shot off up Wildhorse Mountain. On my way back down I saw a runner flying up the hill, a good trot happening. No headlamp he was in stealth mode. I congratulated him on his pace as we passed only to realise it was MrX (Martin Schott) mucking about before he headed off to work a night shift. He turned around and ran down to the CP with me. Classic, I thought I was caught from behind. I ate some more soup and had a coffee before hitting the trail again on route to CP10.

The trail was slushy all the way to 10 and we were advised to stay to the left for a “drier” passage. It got to the stage where I didn’t care anymore and simply ploughed straight through everything on offer. I figured I was wasting way too much energy trying to pick a path through the mud. It was quite liberating actually and before I knew I was having so much more fun. Just before the checkpoint itself was the biggest pool waist deep in parts. A volunteer directed the way through. CP 10 was as usual excellent. Bill T’s wife Jane puts on the best aid station with a huge variety of foods, hot and cold. I was keen to get the eastern loop out of the way though and further solidify my position, so I didn’t stop for long. 10km later after a pretty uneventful flat eastern loop I arrived back at 10. I was informed I was now 40 minutes head of second. I decided to take a longer stop before heading out on the second western loop. I drank a cup of soup as I walked the first incline. About a km or so into the second loop there was water all over the trail, in stretches of 20 metres or so. Again I ran straight through it. This loop was more interesting than the previous; at one stage it looped back upon itself and became very muddy again running parallel to Tibrogargon Creek. I was making a concerted effort to remain alert and not drop the head as I wasn’t familiar with these new loops and the last thing I needed was to miss a trail marker and get lost. However as expected they were very well marked with big red arrows at each intersection. The last km or so rejoins a common trail back to the checkpoint, I noticed a runner ahead. When I arrived back at 10 Hermie and Milov were there just about to set off on their 10 loops. Roger Guard was sat down sipping on a tea looking very relaxed having the first loop behind him.

I was on the home stretch now and looking forward to getting back to 9. My splits were telling me I was still good for a sub 20hr finish; just hold it together and finish strong. I was tired and struggled at times to stay honest figuring I could back off and still hold on to my position. However I really wanted that sub 20 and knew I would have to keep pegging away to achieve it. Darlo and Tamsin appeared, my pacing partner from earlier Darlo shook my hand and congratulated me, a nice touch.
Mellum mates Tim, Andy and Vegie passed on their way to 10. It was great to see them again having last seen them at the 8 loops. They looked determined but I knew what lay ahead and a long night for sure.
Back at 9 I met up with another Mellum mate Dave McKinnon who had just arrived from 1a. We climbed Wildhorse together, well that was the intent but I couldn’t stay with the mountain lion as he flew up the hill.

Back at the aid station I changed batteries in the headlamp, before setting off on the final 14kms to the finish line. Back through the pool and up along the slushy trail that runs parallel to the highway, then the long stretch through the pine forest to Moffat’s Rd. More runners passed along here, we all offered encouragement to each other, great camaraderie. It began to rain once more as I crossed Steve Irwin Drive. Bill T was the last runner to appear, still confident he was on schedule, fantastic pacing once again.
The 8kms to go sign was welcome and a quick check of the elapsed time told me I was good for a sub 20hr finish. I still ran all the way to 1a and continued without stopping straight up the hill. I eased off a little once on the top. The trail had dried up in places throughout the day but had remained very wet along the shaded trail here. I was also wary of the dog at the top of the hill near the house from earlier but it was locked away, no worries. The final run through the waterlogged trail back to the school was fun. Finally the lights of the school shimmered through the trees and the finish line was in sight. One last loop around the back of the school through the gates and there at the finish line was Ian wrapped in a blanket, stopping the clock in 19:39:20. I was delighted; a sub 20hr finish and I smashed my PB by 43 minutes.
I didn’t put a foot wrong all day and ran the best possible race I could on the day. I sat down and then proceeded to feel very nauseous and cold having my usual post run hypotension episode. Tugger came over; we congratulated each other and sat for a chat. I was freezing and feeling rather nauseous. I retrieved my drop bag, washed my feet and put some warm clothes on and walked a little but it was a good hour before I began to feel better. Dog arrived and we chatted for a bit then Rachel appeared around the same time. We all made our way to the finish line to welcome her home after a tremendous run.

My body temp was still plummeting so when Dog offered to take me back to the hotel I accepted gratefully. I climbed straight into bed and shivered for a good 20 minutes before drifting off to sleep. When I awoke I showered and felt like a million bucks again. Not long after Dog appeared again offering a lift back to the finish line. Kudos to Dog who, although he couldn’t run, stayed out there all day and night helping out at the CPs and in fact was responsible for getting a few runners off their backsides and back out onto the trail. On the drive to the school we saw Tim and Vegie running along the bike path that hugs the highway on their way to 1a. We stopped to gee them up.

Once again this is a wonderful event, well organised with the exceptional work of a handful of volunteers. We had 11 runners finish under the 24hr mark and a further 6 finishing under the 30hr cutoff with 6 DNFs.
It was great catching up with the rest of the 100 milers as they finished. Hanging around drinking beer and enjoying the BBQ lunch and awards, all makes for a fabulous weekend. How could I even contemplate not being there!

8 Comments:

At 1:38 PM, September 24, 2007, Blogger undercover brother said...

4th person ever to do sub20 at glasshouse (infact any of the aussie trail 100milers!).
well done mate.
nice to see u out there on the trail.

 
At 2:10 PM, September 24, 2007, Blogger 2P said...

Another great report (and result) Spud.

 
At 7:58 PM, September 24, 2007, Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on the sub 20 Spud. Thoroughly deserved!

 
At 10:23 PM, September 24, 2007, Blogger Vegie-Girl said...

Another brilliant run notched up Spud. You're made of special stuff alright. Nicely done Cap'n.

 
At 9:31 AM, September 25, 2007, Blogger tim said...

Mate that is one of those rocking chair moments.

 
At 3:53 PM, September 26, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

Sensational result Spud. What an incredible year you have had! Congratulations.

 
At 7:49 PM, September 26, 2007, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Great run Spud and a great report. Congrats.

 
At 9:58 PM, September 29, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

Thanks Spud. Sub-20. I'll forgive you for not running through the waste-deep pool of mud. Are you sure you felt like a million bucks after the nap?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home