Six Foot Track Marathon 2009

Six Foot Track marathon number 8, done and dusted. An eventful year with the famed beer bet on Coolrunning adding a bit of spice to the proceedings. Although I was a tad fast for the beer bet from my time last year (4.39) I couldn’t help but get caught up in the racing. Besides I know all the beer betters and have ran with a lot of them before at some stage.
After a somewhat dodgy taper week of antibiotics and no running (laryngitis) I was doubtful of a fast time. As I lined up near the front of wave 2, the plan was to take it out hard this year to the river and see what happened. I might blow up but I have never really smashed it to the river, so we’d see. Nice plan but reality was I was caught in the conga line down Nellies and the split at the sign was bang on last years 13 mins. As the trail opened up I settled into a good pace running with Hamburglar. I pulled up alongside Gnome nearing the end of Nellies Glen Rd and we chatted for a bit.
Up and over Pinnacle Hill feeling good, temperature was perfect. I passed Brick here as we hit the single track to the river. I really wanted to make up for some lost time and preceded to pass a lot of runners until I found open trail all the way to the river. Crossed in 1.21 feeling good. Not as fast as I wanted. I wore my Nathan waistbelt so didn’t stop at the CP.
Not far up Mini I fell in behind Kim Cook and tried to stay with him, he was strong on the climbs and together we ran a fair chunk of Mini. My splits last year had me at the top in 1.58, I topped out this year in 1.57, still feeling strong.
The run along the saddle was awesome, powered down it passing Kim and ran strongly to the start of the Pluvio climb. I tried running, well plodding up most of the gentler ascents and powerwalked the rest. Passed Milov and then Actionman passed me flyin. He would end up with an impressive 4.11 for the day. Pluvio in 2.43 and I was still very close to PB pace, could I keep it together?
We all know the Black Range is where the race truly begins and so after my first coke for the day I took off. The plan was to run the whole way to Deviation, no walking. I was moving quite well passing a few more runners but being passed too as my pace was not that fast. Kelvin came into view doing it tough, we spoke briefly but I knew he was in for a long day. The beer betters were all close along here. I could see Hornet ahead in the distance, his pink skirt a giveaway but I was not closing the gap. Then Sarge passes me, where did he come from, nice running mate. I felt patience was the way to go and just tried to stay as close as I could to them, figuring I might be able to do some damage at Deviation. Kim Cook repassed me, I felt like I was going backwards at one point late along Black Range a fact bore out by my split at the campground of 3.40, two minutes down on last year. Oh well hang on and see what happens.
Deviation wasn’t too bad and I seemed to get a second wind, passing Kim and then Rod but then on the final climb to the road was passed by Tall Geoff who was running uphill! Hmm great stuff I thought to myself, good for him. I knew I could run hard from the road and just as I arrived there I unknowingly passed Sarge as he stopped for refreshment. 4.02 and 2 minutes down on PB pace, I was thinking a 4.42 finish.
I know this section only too well to know that if you run hard for the last 7 kms there are a lot of places to be made up. I saw Mick in the distance and reeled him in; he was having a great debut run. I thought about who was left from the beer betters and realised that Geoff was likely the front runner but was way out of sight.
Passed Jenolan Cabins overtaking a couple more runners and then out onto the final few climbs. I ran as much as I could knowing I could really smash myself on the final descent. I longed for it. As soon as the trail dropped I leaned forward and put on the afters. It felt fantastic to pass as many as 12 runners along here especially down the singletrack Mt George firetrail. Not long before Charlottas Arch I spotted the tall gangly frame of TallGeoff, I was gaining fast and and knew I had him.
I finished in 4.41, so 2 minutes outside the PB and second fastest time for the course.
Despite the slower finish time, I managed to finish 6 places higher than last year but it was the racing element of this year’s run that added so much to the experience.
Great idea Rod, hopefully I can get some of the action officially next year where I might actually train specifically for the race and try and get under that 4.30 mark.
Thanks KT and the RFS and well done all, especially Tall Geoff and Terry for their stellar runs and all the beer betting crazies. Too much fun.
Splits:
Nellies-13:41
Mega-42:47
River-1.21:17
LemonTree-1.46:12
Mini-1.57:38
Alum-2.06:46
Pluvi-2.43:16
Dev-3.40:13
Caves Rd-4.02:27
Finish-4.41:14


4 Comments:
Good run Spud. Faster next year mate you really should get under 4:30 one year.
Nice work Spud - congratulations. A definite sub 4.30 for you next year!
Good to see - I must have been blind to your results on race day. Well done Phil.
cheers Plu
so no report on 'the prom'.
ok well i guess youre still down there.
well done :)
Post a Comment
<< Home