Great North Walk 100s Report 2008

The conditions aren’t that bad, ok it’s fairly humid but where have my climbing legs gone? This is pretty much what I was saying to myself during the first 50kms of the GNW 100 miler at the weekend. I was feeling fresh going into it having not run for a week and a half, nursing piriformis/sciatica issues, so really I should have been flying?
I set off from Teralba in the third lead group along the boring first 6kms of bitumen to the trailhead at Wakefield. Breathing was laboured and I was already sweating heaps. Early signs for what lay ahead?
I looked forward to the trail, as did Graham Ridley who once on it scampered away into the distance up the first incline.
I was hauling 3ltrs and another 600ml in my fuel belt so the weight was an added burden, but I needed it as I sweated profusely in the humidity.
My plan for the day was to go as close to last year’s time as possible and maybe try and sneak under. I knew I ran a good race last year in great conditions, so it would be difficult to top, but ya never know lest you try, right.
The rainforest section to MacLean’s lookout was hard work and the climb to the hugging post near killed me and so it was on tired legs that I hobbled into CP1. Mal was flying as was Kim, and we were tightly grouped at this early stage. Time to recover a little on the flats to Barraba and try and get some food in. I felt marginally better but still no mojo. At one point I was sure I was running in one big circle, for whatever reason my bearings were out too. The views just before the drop into the Congewai Valley helped ease my malaise and I was thankful for the cooler conditions. Once on the road I was almost immediately attacked by a magpie, great just what I needed. I could just make out the silhouette of Maggot up ahead and tried to chase him down but never really closed the gap.
Dog appeared sporting a wounded paw just as I reached the school. He relayed what had transpired and I shook my head in disbelief and wished him well.
I looked forward to a decent stop here, as I needed to recover somewhat for the climb up to the Communications tower. I quickly tucked into my second tin of creamed rice and thanks to SMC42k, poured a cold drink down too. There were still a few runners about as I left so I was holding place relatively, even though I felt like crap.
That section of road is just so shite, I wished we could find some alternate trail somewhere. I came across Rachel and Marie shortly before I reached the Glenagra farm, both looking like they were duking it out. Milov also appeared and graciously handed me my map I’d dropped earlier.
The climb up to the tower was a lot better than I feared and with a better headspace I took off along Cabans Rd, hoping my trough was over for the day. I found good momentum mixing a solid powerwalk with running and soon caught up to Kim Cook. We also passed another runner, not sure who he was or whether he was a 100 miler or 100ker. I was in a much better space now, breaking down the remainder of this section to the Basin. I knew the road gradually dropped with a nice long descent to the dead end just before the drop to the farm at Watagan Creek. Just before the end of Cabans Rd we caught up to Dog who appeared to be going through a low spell. I nudged ahead just before the singletrack and then smashed it to the bottom. This was probably the best I’d felt all day so I thoroughly enjoyed the switchbacks to the creek.
We regrouped at the water drop, Joel left just as we arrived. Dog took off having found a second wind and flew up the climb, I tried staying with him but was struggling on the hill again. Kim and Mal were not far behind. I was chugging back fluids like crazy and so was glad for the water drop. Upon levelling out I found a better pace again and soon enough I could see Dog and Joel together not far ahead. I tried picking it up in the hope that their company would help pass the time. After a good trot along the Bar Trail I caught Joel. Dog was well ahead now, running very well. Joel and I stayed together towards the Basin, at one point stopped in our tracks by what looked like some kind of python. As we approached the Basin Joel pulled away, he was obviously much stronger than I. Pipi appeared on his way out as I arrived, having run very strongly thus far. The Basin was a very different place to last years leech fest and soon I was tucking into some wonderful veggie soup and another creamed rice. (results showed I ran the fastest section 2-3 in the 100 miler, nice)
Dog was still there having his hand seen to, as was Graham who was on a blinder in the 100km till he decided to run the long way into the Basin!
I didn’t hang around long and when Joel showed up looking to see if I was ready to go we left. He soon pulled away on the climb as I tried to process the food I had just scoffed down. We saw numerous runners on their way in, including Rachel, Maggot and Milov, all still fairly close. I was now in third and delighted to be competitive given my earlier form. I still couldn’t climb for shit but I was getting there. At the top of the climb out of the Basin I saw Joel attending a runner. As I approached I realised it was Pipi. He was not looking too good after getting sick. I gave him some salt tablets and after he assured us he was ok we took off. This is where we stuffed up. Knowing we had a right turn coming up and momentarily distracted we took the wrong one, down Bob’s Point Rd. Halfway down it we started to wonder whether we had in fact taken a wrong turn. The compass reading was good and the topo had drop offs either side, so remarkably like Kingtree Ridge. Anyhoo we stupidly continued looking/praying for that GNW sign post. A good 20minutes later we came to a dead end at the bottom of a long descent. Bugger! Shit! Turn around and retrace your footsteps. We were quite enjoying being in joint first place but know it was a game of catch up. Joel flew off into the distance, as I struggled to regain composure. At this point it’s easy to resolve yourself to just getting it finished and forgetting about being competitive. Having worked hard for hours, to so easily give it up was very disappointing. However no point sulking, shit happens and this is the race it happens in I told myself. Just keep plugging away and see what eventuates.
I didn’t see anybody again until I reached Cedar Brush Rd and the long haul into Yarramalong. I worked hard to get to the road and was feeling flat again when I noticed Graham was just ahead struggling with blistered feet. He was almost home though and despite his pain, still in good spirits. I asked him who was in front having no idea who had passed me during my “detour” He replied “everybody”. Bugger!
I tried to settle into a rhythm along Ravensdale Rd and make up some lost time, but this meant I arrived at Yarramalong well and truly buggered. As I arrived in the town I saw Kim and Joel leaving with their pacers. I was at least 20-25 minutes behind factoring in my stop there.
I knew my pacer Scott would have been wondering where I was, having arrived almost an hour later than expected but I needed to regroup and get some much-needed fuel in. Rachel was sat just across from me tending to her feet and still in good spirits. Mal had finished the 100km in 2nd place and looked well chuffed or was that look of relief that it was all over J. I was doing my best to not look how I felt.
I scoffed some food, changed Garmins and with Scott’s help was on the road again reasonably quickly. I love running at night and look forward to this part every year. However it took me a while to get going once more as I digested the food. Rachel joined us and together we followed Scott through the night, running when we could and walking when we couldn’t. It was a beautiful night with the stars poking through the scattered clouds and quite warm, no need for extra layers. Scott was doing a fine job pulling us along and we had a nice pace going in patches where it was runnable.
It was somewhere in the bush before the climb out to the trail that leads to the unmanned water stop when we pulled away from Rach. I had a second wind and started climbing a tad faster than previously. As we pulled into the water stop we saw Kim and pacer just leaving. We didn’t stop for long, a quick refill and we were on our way. We soon caught and passed Kim who was now battling his own demons along the nice single-track down to the creek.
Scott was still pulling me along quite briskly and before we knew it we were crossing Ourimbah Creek and making our way towards Ourimbah Creek Rd and the climb up onto the Somersby Plateau. I felt we’d made good time here and the results show we ran the second fastest time to the school. 9 mins later and we were on our way into the darkness once more. I looked behind and saw Rachel arriving as we left. Again I needed a little time to digest the food and mixed walking with trotting to the end of Silvester’s Rd. Once back in the bush we were moving along quite well. I had some waves of tiredness sweep over me as we trundled along Mooney Creek to the crossing but nowhere near as bad as when I was on the road sections, where you can so easily switch off mentally. The crossing was unmanned this year but ably navigated thanks to some glowsticks strategically placed to ensure a dry crossing to the trailhead on the other side.
As we approached the roaring F3 freeway overhead my mind started playing tricks again as I was certain we were going around in a big loop. At one stage it felt like we were running away from the freeway and this worried me, but rest assured we were on the right trail and all was good.
I felt better once I had some more food and enjoyed the stop at Mooney, what a magical little oasis that is. I had a good 10 minute stop here and enjoyed some fruitcake and an Up and Go for breakfast. No sign of anyone from behind as we left I was sure I had a big enough gap now to hold on to my position in the race.
The trail along Piles creek was beautiful at dawn as my senses awoken from their slumber. With around 5hrs of running still to be had we were still a long way from home. As we climbed up the first rise after the bridge we were treated to the most beautiful setting moon, red glowing off on the horizon. This helped as I was again struggling on the climbs, breathing heavily and having to stop every once in a while to recover. Once a top the sandstone plateau we ran well to Scopas Peak, back down to Myron Brook and then up to the water stop at Staples Lookout. It feels like it takes forever though to reach that water stop. The views are awesome and the walking track that skirts Wondabyne impressive. However, on tired legs it’s hard sometimes to stop and take it all in. All one thinks about is getting this thing done and reaching that elusive goal and the sand at Patonga Beach. I’ve run this section 4 years in a row now and it still looks different every year. It must be the state of mind you are in after 24hrs of running. Thankfully it is well marked and I never felt like we were lost.
The slog to Patonga went reasonably well with some decent running spells. I was convinced I had 3rd place sown up with no sign of anyone as far as the eye could see.
At Warrah Trig I recalled my mate Tony from work saying if you get a chance go and check out the lookout, it’s only 30 mtrs or so off the trail. I was too buggered to comtemplate it and thankfully as things transpired with Rachel on my hammer, I’m glad I didn’t.
I looked back all the way to Patonga Drive, no signs of anyone. Realising I could break 28hrs I put in a surge on the downhill running hard until we popped up on the beach. This is most definitely one of the best experiences in ultra running, finally stepping onto that beach. I thanked Scott for his solid pacing job before bending down and smooching the post. 27.47, not bad, I would have PB’ed if I hadn’t gone bush but them’s the breaks…next year.
Rachel appeared finishing strongly just a minute behind me. I was astounded, where did she come from? I still shake my head in disbelief.
Thanks to Dave and the Terrigal Trotters, this run has now become the most popular trail 100 in the country.
Thanks to Scott once again for his faultless pacing.
Looking forward to C2K now and my first race in the new age group. :)


4 Comments:
thanks for sharing your event with us Phil! it was nice chatting to you afterward also. best wishes for C2K too!
Thanks for the report Phil. Excellent reading.
Another great story Spud. It amazes me the range of emotions you go through, guess you are out there a while.
Sorry I missed your b'day (I was on hols and had very limited net access). Hope it was a goody.
Well done Phil. Good reading. Shame about the scenic detour.
Have fun in the new age-group, and at C2K - hope the weather settles down before then.
Post a Comment
<< Home