Glasshouse Mountains 100 Mile 2008 Race Report

Glasshouse Mountains 100 Mile 2008
Sometimes it’s the races that you least expect to run well at that turn out to be some of your better ones.I was delighted with the result given the conditions and the fact that I was very nearly not going to be running it at all.
My approach this year was to try and stay with the pace I set last year over the first 100kms and then try to bring it home over the eastern section a tad faster for a sub 19.30. I worked out some splits for the revised course (which I figured would be faster given the Hamburger Hill traverse was taken out 3 times).
I may have been slightly optimistic given I still had Trailwalker in the legs but figured this is the course to try and belt out a faster time, the runners’ 100 miler.
I settled into a brisk pace alongside Milov and Innes for the 10km loop around Beerburrum. Dave, Dog and Nigel were just ahead but soon out of sight running what seemed like a crazy pace for a 100 miler, well not for Dave of course. J
Milov proceeded to crack some really bad jokes so I upped the pace as we neared the track leading up to Beerburrum. J I pulled away on the climb enjoying the early morning rays for what would turn out to be quite a warm and humid day.
With my name ticked off at the top I descended a lot faster than last year thanks to the grip afforded by my Montrail Continental Divides. It can get quite slippery along here especially when damp leaf litter is about. I was indecisive about wearing them beforehand, given my limited runs in them, but was very comfortable in them on the day.
I caught John Lindsay on the way to 3 as we trundled along the nice singletrack south of Tunbubudla (the twins). It was not long after arriving at 3 where I started to feel a bit flat. I tried munching on a vegemite sandwich, which helped a little, but I was definitely struggling early on. Way too early into a 100 miler I thought. I knew once I did the right things though, and ate and drank as often as I could I would soon come good.
The trail up to 4 is pretty benign, flat and makes for good running. A quick stop at the CP and off again to 5 and some gnarlier trail. Dave (UCB) was crewing me as well as playing cameraman for the day, so he helped ensure I was in an out of the CPs as quickly as possible, thanks mate.
But still I struggled, I was slow through the following section 5-6 the goat track, well behind last years splits and as it got warmer I felt the need for more calories. I wasn’t having too much trouble getting the food in, but today fruit was not quite packing a punch and I need my creamed rice. I stupidly neglected to put a drop at 6 and with the double visit there that was my biggest mistake of the day. Sportsdrink and gus only go so far.
I was fully expecting to be caught from behind and indeed as I left 6 on the way to the powerlines and 8, I glanced over my shoulder and saw Milov and someone else (Rachel?) arriving at the checkpoint. This spurred me on and gave me the incentive I needed to get over my malaise and push the pace. I settled back into a better groove and it wasn’t long before I reached the road crossing just before the powerlines. I was actually looking forward to them as I wasn’t enjoying the constant flat or rolling terrain. I got through them fairly well and at one point had Rachel on my hammer. She is so strong on the rough stuff. Again my shoes performed admirably here, I was rapt with the grip and protection.
CP 8: This is where the race makes or breaks you in my mind. It’s hot, there’s two long loops ahead of you and if you are having a good day you can make up a few places here or it can end your run as it did for a number of runners this year. Luckily the former is how it panned out for me. After a good stop and a can of creamed rice at 8, I left there feeling like a million bucks again. I picked up Dog who was struggling on the western 8a loop along the disused flat rail bed and ran well all the way as far as the hills at the back of the loop. I was now feeling the best I had all day, a good time to come good I figured.
On the middle section back into the CP Dave caught up from behind coming off his second loop. We chatted for a bit before he took off up the hill. I now had 2nd placed Nigel in my sights and soon caught him as we approached 8.
Once back at the CP, I quickly skulled a bottle of powerade whilst Veggie and UCB filled my pack ( I decided to use the pack on the loops this year and was glad I did as it got pretty hot out there), grabbed some fruit and left for the second loop just as Martin Shot arrived. Where did he come from? Nigel and I walked up the big hill eating with Martin not that far behind. Once at the top I hammered it downhill with Nigel just behind but soon began to wonder if we’d missed a turn. There was no tape and I didn’t remember that house with the barking dog? I looked behind for Martin, he was nowhere to be seen? Shit maybe we had indeed stuffed up. Surely not, there is only one trail right? We continued down the hill until at last we caught glimpse of some tape. Noice. I was relieved; I really didn’t want to have to go back up that hill again.
I now pulled away from Nigel and was alone again enjoying the surrounds. As I arrived at the turn back north to CP8 I noticed Susannah coming off her western loop. She was just ahead of me but I couldn’t close the gap as she ran a blinder all the up the hill back to 8, very impressive! I did catch up to Nic Maloney and together we powerwalked our way back to the checkpoint.
Once again I didn’t hang around too long thanks to Bro. I was quickly weighed (down a kilo) and soon on my way to 7. I figured this was a good flat stretch and a great opportunity to put a gap into the chasing pack. As I crossed Raens Rd I met Jan on his way to 8, looking happy enough. The trail off the road to 7 was delightful. I really appreciated getting out of the sun onto the shady singletrack. Back into a groove and tapping out a rather brisk pace I was in happyland once again.
CP7 was great, I always enjoy the food there, no need for a drop bag. Bro was videoing again and Ladyjove talking some snaps. The 4.4km loop at 7 was flat as and I made reasonable progress back into the CP. As I left for 7 on the long downhill I noticed Martin arriving. In fact he was never that far behind me for a lot of the following few CPs.
The run up to 6 is my favourite part of the entire course. The views out to Beerwah, the eroded track loop at Beerwah, love it. I was starting to feel stronger and stronger as the heat of the day dissipated and a cooler breeze kicked up. This was a good sign for my plans to run a faster eastern section.
With my energy levels on the rise I passed the 3rd placed 100km runner on the way to 5. I was now looking forward to more calories and that meant more creamed rice at the CP.
Martin was still close, about 15 minutes behind me apparently. I left 5 sharply and ran the welcome downhill past the lookout, back onto some nice trail and across Gympie Rd. I now had BrisMatt (2nd place in the 100km) in my sights and was slowly gaining on him. It wasn’t until we hit the long stretch to 1A that I did catch him. We ran together for a few kms having a good chat and then I pulled away as we circled Beerburrum for the last time. It was just on twilight when I hit the 3.5kms to go sign back to Base. I turned on my headlamp and scampered through the rough stuff back to Base.
Tim (who had unfortunately dropped earlier), Dave and Veggie were there and had everything ready to go. I changed into a fresh top and wolfed down some pizza, my God that hit the spot. I stashed 3 slices into a ziplock bag and was soon off towards CP9 and the eastern section. Pizza and ultrarunning is gold, I felt like Dean Karnazes munching away as I ran along Steve Irwin Drive. In fact I ran the fastest time of the day for this section. J
As I arrived at 9 I dropped my pack off with Dave, retrieved my ticket and went straight up Wildhorse. I felt strong on the climb still enjoying my calorific high.
The view out west from the top was inspirational with the volcanic plugs silhouetted against the darkening sky. I could have stayed there a while longer easily. I dropped my ticket into the jar alongside Dave’s solitary donation. Upon returning to 9, I had a quick cup of coffee and left for 10. I remember this section was under water last year as I turned off the trail toward Jane’s awesome checkpoint. Not this year it was dry as.
Dave refilled my pack and I had Jane pour me a foam cup of pumpkin soup for the western loop. It wasn’t long out of 10 when I tripped ass over tit but managed to roll and save my foam cup of soup. I was way impressed, just a bit of trail grizzle coating the skin but what harm was that gonna do right?
There was a lot of talk about the loops at 10 and some infrequent trail marking, however I found it quite easy. You run anticlockwise and stay to the left looking for arrows and markers on the western loop and the opposite on the following clockwise loop staying to the right, too easy. As I was coming off the first loop I noticed Dave ahead flashing his light indicating the imminent CP. I stopped for some tasty dates at Jane’s banquet before shuffling off for the second loop. Apparently I was putting time into those behind me. I remember getting tired on the second loop, it is a tad boring out there by yourself and so I looked forward to the trip back to 9 and then home. I didn’t use my headlamp much on the loops at all, as the near full moon lit up the wide exposed trails. It was awesome running by moonlight only.
Back at 10 I stopped briefly for some more food, Dave managed to get more pizza, so I dumped a few more slices into my pockets. I bumped into several runners on my way back to 9, most still in good spirits. I weaved my way through several cane toads and at one point was startled by a lizard on hind legs frozen by the light of my headlamp.
Dave came out to meet me shortly before arriving at the CP once more. It was good to get gappers but it seemed at this stage I was quite secure in 2nd spot.
I dropped the camelbak to lighten the load for the final ascent of the day up Wildhorse. Blair who had been crewing with Dave joined me now and together the 3 of us climbed WH. Apparently some yobbos had driven around the boom gate at the bottom in their ute and proceeded to drive up to the top. There was some concern they might play silly biggers with the jar of tokens. They soon came down when they saw this lycra clad Irishman approaching looking all mean. J Truth is Geoff and the guys who drove up after them ushered them off the mountain.
The jar was untouched and I soon deposited my final token, glanced around briefly before heading back down. I was now very tired and wanted to get this thing done. I was way past looking at splits in fact I knew was 15mins down on my projections at Base, so at this stage I very much doubted I’d be PBing. Still I figured if I didn’t bludge too much on the way back to Base I could still go sub 20 which would be great.
And that’s how it panned out. I did bludge a little to be honest, knowing I had 2nd spot in the bag it was difficult to push hard for home. If I was being chased I’m sure I would have found the extra motivation though.
It’s a wonderful feeling that final few kms when you know you’ve smashed your body up as much as you could and came out on top. I ran hard into the school to a nice reception and stopped the clock in 19.43, just 4 mins slower than last year, well chuffed with that! Hung around for a bit then started to get very cold so thanks to some blankets from Dave I crashed out under the school awning for an hour.
I was awoken to cheers as 3rd place Martin Shott finished followed closely by Milov. I went over to congratulate them and then proceeded to feel like shit, dry reaching, the usual post GH affair. The only race this happens to me, guess it’s a result of relentlessly pushing the body all day. Glasshouse is an” easier” course than other 100 milers but that doesn’t mean you don’t smash yourself up running it.
Hanging around the following day with the “Glasshouse family” watching others coming in etc is a huge part of the weekend. There was a fair attrition rate too with 10 dnfs from 31 starters just proving how tough the conditions can make this run.
Thanks to Ian Javes, Caboolture Runners and all the volunteers for a wonderful race.
I hope to come back again to try and improve on my time.


5 Comments:
what an awesome sounding run! congratulations, you should be very proud. this is the kind of tale that makes me want to try!
onya!
Congrats Spud. So close to the PB!
And 2nd two years in a row as well 0 good stuff.
Great report Spud.
Dunno, but to me you looked to be in top form the whole time ... well, every time I saw you anyway. Its such a joy to see somebody run so well and stay strong like that.
Your crew is pretty good too, kept me from getting lost on more than one occasion.
Can't wait to see what you can do next year.
Well smashed up. Pretty close to the PB. Amazing time really. 19:43 is a long hard day.
crewing you was fun.
i would much rather crew you than me cos you finish much quicker!
Post a Comment
<< Home