12 Foot Track 2008
It was a tough old day. I knew something was not quite right when I crossed the river and started to feel my hamstrings tighten up and this was on the way out!
Started well, enjoying a good pace set by Kim and a cracking morning in the valley, with frost everywhere and iced over puddles.
We reached Megalong Rd in 43 mins where Kim stopped to pick up his pack. I kept moving and soon fell into a good tempo to Pinnacle hill and down the singletrack to the river. Not long before the river Shogun appeared having recovered from a nasty fall at the start. We crossed in 1.24.
No need for water so we headed straight up Mini. Branden pulled away making the hills look too easy while I started struggling with my hammies. My split to Mini was 2.02, still a couple of minutes faster than last year, but I was working way harder than usual. I passed Coolwalker David at Alum Creek, he mentioned getting lost at night. Little River came and went and then the climb up Pluvi. I normally feel better on this climb than Mini but just couldn't find my groove, topping out in 2.51.
Black Range was a grind and the wind made it quite cold in parts. I shuffled along and walked some, again losing time. Deviation couldn't come along soon enough (3.50) , I headed for the tank to refill. I ate a sandwich hoping it would kick me along to halfway. I made the road crossing in 4.14 and was expecting to see Tim 2 at Binda Cabins or thereabouts on his way back. Hit the Mount George firetrail and hammered the downhill,only to see Shogun just before Charlotta's Arch. He looked strong and mentioned Tim was not having a good day. I hit the Caves House bang on 4.58, so not bad timewise but I knew I was in for a tough back half.
Buzz had the esky out and I quickly howed into some creamed rice and a gatorade. I stopped for a good 5 mins needing the short respite. A brief hello to Kevin Cassidy before I started the climb out. I noticed Tim who had been at the Caves House when I arrived left just in front of me.
It's a long grind up that hill and it wasn't long before the remainder of the field came thundering down. Kim, Innes, Taz, Paul, Milov, Rod etc Great encouragement from each and every runner, part of what I love about this run. I made slow progress to the road (6.11) and was now 11 minutes behind last year's splits. At this stage I really didn't care though and was intent on trying to enjoy the remainder of the day, which is not easy when the body isn't cooperating fully. When I finally arrived at Deviation (6.33) I figured it was only a matter of time before runners from behind started catching me. I needed something extra for the Black Range knowing that if I put in a good solid run along it I would have gravity on my side for the run to the river. Topcat was there after enjoying a nice hitout aong the range with Marie Clare. She offered me some food and drink, I ended up accepting a gatorade which went down very well. Just what I needed I ran well to Pluvi arriving there in 7.28, down down down, I love this part of 12FT. My hammies were still giving me grief but the quads came into play here and I was thankful they were still good.
I soon caught up to Tim at Little River, it was great to have some company. This would be the first time in 4yrs I would run with someone on the return trip.
We progressed reasonably well, although as Tim recovered from his slump he was pulling me along. We reached Mini in 8.13 and another decent downhill run to the River in 8.40. A quick top up at the tank and then a rock hop across the river saw us quickly on the singletrack to Megalong Rd. We bumped into Louie sat on the side of the trail doing it tough but were assured he was ok to continue. As we reached the top of Pinnacle hill a sight opened up before us that was truly magical. The retiring sun was casting long shadows from behind with rain off into the distance ahead. Spread out before us across the valley, right in front of the escarpment, a fantastic full rainbow. 12FT magic once more, the pain subsides at moments like that.
I was looking forward to the tree hollow at Megalong Rd (9.52) where I had a coke and chips waiting. They kinda hit the spot and we were soon trotting out a decent pace (well for me but not so much for Tim) to Nellies. We looked behind every now and again with no one in sight along some of the long straight stretches of trail. We chatted about various ultras and challenges that lay ahead for the rest of the year, busy months ahead. We arrived at the Nellies Glen sign just in time to don our headlamps when Paul popped up out of nowhere. He must have ran hard along Nellies Glen Rd and was having a trademark strong finish. Himself and Tim took off like scolded cats as I watched with envy, there was no way I could run those stairs, even with a good set of pegs.
I ended up touching the Tree after a typical slog up the stairs in 11.15. Not too disappointed given how hard I had to work for it and I was pleased to hold off the runners behind. A great workout for the mental strength I'll need for some of the bigger ones later in the year.
Well done all, delighted to hear two females finished too, and once again thanks for your help out there Buzz.
Backed up next day with my fastest post 12FT City to Surf in 66:28.


3 Comments:
Unbelievable stuff Spud. Dunno how you do it ... you are a freak!
Lots of people in the pic - was that the biggest turnout yet?
Hey, I was right behind you for the last 4k or so at C2S but just couldn't bridge the gap. At once stage I was so close I could hear what you were saying to Paul (Portrunner). You got me by 2 seconds! Was hoping to catch up at the pub afterwards but maybe you were running back :)
Wow You make such a challenge sound doable but us wannabe ultrarunners. Certainly sounds like fun despite the pain and hard work you obviously went through.
I am absolutely amazed you can back up the next morning for a race!!!! Not that 14km would be more than a sneeze after that effort, but still all the waiting around etc...means another long day on your feet!
WELL DONE!!
A 12' finish is a great effort no matter what the time. I know sub-5 for many is a huge 6' goal.
No wonder you looked to be taking it quietly up the Double Bay hill on Sunday ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home