Poorman's Comrades Sydney to Gosford 2008

Back again for the annual poorman’s version of the infamous Comrades run in South Africa and my fifth attempt. An up year this year and according to the overall results throughout the years heading north was the fastest direction. I set my PB for this run 2 years ago at 9.13 so was hopeful of a sub 9hr effort this year.
I printed off the exact same “even splits” for a sub 9 hour run. A decent gathering at the Opera House steps with a few more new faces along with the usual gluttons for punishment. The early pace was quick as the group split pretty much from the get-go.
John Mergler was back to defend his “up” title from 2 yrs ago along with speedsters Ewen Horsbrough (Royworlds) and Scott (Tattiebanger)

They, along with the ever-improving Milov, set off together and quickly disappeared into the distance. I ran with Scott (Sub 50) who was using part of the course for his long run. We settled in together punching out comfortable 5:30s as we crossed the Harbour Bridge.

It was cold but the forecast rain was thankfully not evident.
Not long before North Sydney Paul Every joined us and together we ran to Archer St in Chatswood where Scott turned back for home.
It was good to catch up with Paul. I was impressed with his recent results and here he was today backing up after a fine result at the Gold Coast 100km less than a week ago. I was keen to get in his ear about his recent turn of form, apparently running more 175kms a weeks helps, who’d have guessed!
We ran well together and were consistently around 10 minutes ahead of the 9hr splits.
Running down Bobbin Head Rd we met Ron (Sportsman) who had his boot open and a table set up. There were veggie burgers and bacon on the hotplate along with various lollies and sportsdrink, we were spoilt. We stopped briefly, filled up and got a gapper on those ahead and left. The climb back up to Mt Kuringai went by ok, we slowed a little but were still plugging away steadily. Paul seemed to know every rider on the Bobbin head loop.
It’s nice reaching the end of the loop and heading north, a nice milestone ticked off. I was feeling good and still a good 5-10 mins ahead of 9hr pace. Once on the undulating road to Berowra and Cowan we upped the pace again, stopping only briefly at Berowra to buy some food. I was already looking forward to lunch at the Pie in the Sky.
Ron appeared once more and we tucked into some more nibblies and stocked up. I enjoyed the rolling terrain thereafter along the highway with views out over the gorge at Crosslands.
We pulled into the Pie in the Sky just after midday and bang on the 9hr split. To my dismay there were no veggie pies, my vegemite sandwich would have to do. We filled up at the back of the shop and set off for the Hawkesbury River. The long downhill felt good, it wasn’t long before we were across the bridge and were climbing once again up Mt White.
The climb dragged a little and there were times when I regretted not having that pie inside my belly. Just as we arrived at the Road Warrior’s café we spotted Milov leaving. He must have had a 5-minute gap on us at most. We set off after refilling and after a few kms of rolling hills arrived at the Calga interchange where Beaver appeared with lollies and those wonderful chocolate covered coffee beans. They really hit the spot and after finally hitting the long downhill to Mooney Creek we were soon running sub 4min pace There were very few cars about because of the road closure, so we ran the tangents and made great time to the bottom.
After crossing the old bridge and realising we were now 5 min behind 9hr pace Paul started to put a gap into me. I tried to hang on but he was too strong. I was just happy enough to be still jogging though and let him go. I knew he would later catch Milov.
I was alone now for the first time all day and to be honest quite content to just plug away at this hill. I did start to struggle as I neared the top and broke into a walk to stretch the hammies out. Not long after the first roadblock appeared and to my surprise I could see Paul and Milov just past on the other side climbing up the road. I hadn’t lost that much time on them I though. Little did I know what lay ahead? According to runners last year they just walked around this road block, this year there was a fence erected and no way through. I had a look at the side but it didn’t look good. I backtracked to a gap in the road railing and clambered down into the lantana, bush whacking my way to the creek, climbing out the other side before rejoining the road. This all took a good 5 minutes and by now my slim chances of
sub 9 were well and truly gone. Paul and Milov were now well out of sight.
I ran past the turn off for Reptile Park and took the detour around the collapsed section of the Pacific Highway. Looking at my watch I was fast approaching the 9hr mark. There was one last climb up Gindurra Rd onto Debenham Rd and then the long winding downhill into West Gosford. I smashed myself down this hill, the quads were in good nick and it felt great to stride out. Ran hard to Showground Rd and finally reached Gosford station in 9.14, one minute outside my PB.
It felt good to stop and sit down. I really smashed myself over the last few kms but that’s what I wanted from the day. Paul and Milov were still about as I joined them on the train back to Sydney.
I thoroughly enjoyed the day, even though I am not a huge fan of bitumen. This run is kinda cool to do each year and I now have a streak I’d like to continue.
For now sub 9 will have to wait till next year.


7 Comments:
Another great run Spud. Next year for sub 9 hours! Maybe I'll even get around to joining you out there.
It has been on my list of runs to do for the last 2 years. Just can't seem to find the time for running (long) lately.
Cheers
shogun
Great run Spud. It was a shame about the need for the bush bash and missing the PB by a minute.
I was interested in your comments about it being a great run when I know you don't like the road.
I'll also be interested to see how you pull up compared to the trails.
Well done - hopefully I wll see you there next year!
Congrats on another top run Spud. Great report and pics too. Makes me want to do it, well, except for the bit about it being cold.
Enjoy the recovery.
A good run mate. Get that PB next year.
You did well. 4-minute ks at that point in an ultra is amazing. A shame about just missing the PB. Sub-9 next year!
Well said.
Hello..
a found a great place to find nice products at cheap rate at [url=http://50off.reviewazone.com/]discount code[/url]
Have Fun
Post a Comment
<< Home