Hellgate Gorge Fatass Run-46kms


The week after Canberra saw me nursing a couple of very tight hammies for a few days, no doubt a legacy of running slow and long on bitumen. I eased off the mileage and just cruised through a few runs so I would be able to front up for the Hellgate run in decent shape. Very happy with how the day went, albeit a tad cold at times.
This is what I wrote on CR.
I had a great run, found it very cold at the start with the rain coming down. I stupidly left my spray jacket at home so left with Milov after arriving way too early at 6.50am.
Ran well to the Caves House in a record split, startling numerous roos along the way before hooking up with the trail along the river. The climb up to Oaky was as brutal as ever but I found the footing a lot better this year with the rain allowing my terrocs to bite into the mud for grip.
I did the same thing as Tim and Tom, emerging on a 4 wheel drive trail to a house before realising I topped out on the ridge too far left.Quickly picked up the proper trail and dragged my ass up Mt Whiteley, pretty much uphill all the way to Kanangra Rd. Once on the road I picked up the pace and looked forward to the wonderful Blood Fily trail. I was freezing though as the wind whipped up the escarpment to my right. At the water dump I struggled to peel the cover off the water container with numb fingers, I longed for my gloves. The run to the river was tough on the quads, however the footing again was easier a result of the rain. The weather cleared momentarily affording views out and across the ranges, God's country, fantastic stuff. The cool water of the Jenolan River felt good on my swollen ankle (peroneal tendon flare up again). The next few kms up to the Black Range are as tough as the climb up Mt Bogong for mine. Relentless climbing with few switchbacks, I struggled a bit here, feeling the the 50km from Canberra last weekend.
Hit the Range and was pleased to find a good rythym again and run it out arriving at the campground in 5.41.
Just missed my 5.39 from last year but very pleased none the less.
Thanks again 2P for the water dump and organisation. This is a ripper run and one every trail enthusiast should try one day.
All up 80kms for the week.


8 Comments:
Beats me how you can back up from 50k last weekend and do that.
Well done!
Your consistency never ceases to amaze me. 2 minutes slower than last year. Amazing stuff.
Oh man, check out that elevation graph. I want to join in the fun too!
Amazing effort backing up after 50k on that terrible hard stuff ;-)
oh yeah thats a noice 800m drop!!
youre punching out the ultras almost weekly now!!
I'm in next year!
Nice work mate - you still hold the Hellgate World Record :)
Don't you just love that elevation profile? I do!
Looks like a run I will have to come out for one day. Great run!
When 2P builds a bridge over that mineshaft at 34k I might think about it ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home