Striders Equaliser 2008
After a couple of rest days, and lots of stretching I was still doubtful I would make it to the Equaliser. After physio on Weds I was somewhat disillusioned when my hip and quad pain returned with gusto on Thursdays run. Still I really wanted to run the Equaliser, it's such a good bush run.
I set off spritely down the road section before entering the bush trail. I then held back as the thigh niggled for the first few kms. The downhill section to the creek is so good though and I soon got caught up in the frenzied sprint to the bottom. I suffered as a result on the uphill back to the road with a few passing me however on the upside my leg was feeling much better now.
I caught up to Superflake just as we exited the bush for the bitumen. We stopped briefly to grab a drink. He soon took off on the flat road section putting a big gap into me. I felt better now and with my hip joining the fun, was soon running sub 4 min pace and closing the gap to the few in front. As we re-entered the bush I just made it in front of what looked like a bushwalking club assembled at the trailhead. Our friendly marshall advised them to wait a while. The next section is the best part of this run for me as it winds its way back down to the creek before rejoining Bare Creek trail and the long slog out up to the road. I was running hard down the hills and soon caught up to and passed Flake, mentioning he'd pass me on the flat at the top. I made good time to the creek, but once on the hill I started to struggle. My hip was feeling good, it was no a case of my lack of fitness on the climbs. I struggled along but pass passed by only one other runner from the creek to the finish. Once at the top I looked at my watch and realised I could break 70mins if I got a wriggle on, something I wasn't expecting beforehand.
With a bit of encouragement from the speedsters, already on their warm down lap, I finished in 68:46, actually my second fastest time in 4 efforts. Pretty happy with that but really with conditions so good, I should be running closer to 65mins.
Warmed down with Sub50 who ran a blinder in 61 mins before heading off.
Good end to a low mileage week and I'm hopeful my hip will come good for 6FT.
Mon-College Recovery 8.5km
Tue-College-10km, good second half.
Wed-LCNP gates return- 19.5km
Thu-River trails-5km
Fri-Rest
Sat-Rest
Sun-Striders Equaliser 17km
Total-60km


4 Comments:
I could see you most of the time going back up to the finish but the lack of hill work due yo no Six Foot this year meant no catching the Spud. Good run inspite of your hip. I forgot how long it takes from the creek back to the finish.
60k is a low mileage week for you. No doubt the rest will pay off come 6ft time.
Good run! I'm nervous about having backed Horrie for 6' now.
Nice work Spud. Fingers crossed that the niggle behaves itself for next Saturday !
Post a Comment
<< Home