Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Bogong to Hotham 2008





It is a pity the calendar is so tight near the end of the year. With C2K only 4 weeks before there is no way I could "race" Bogong.
Still I was just delighted to get down there and be amongst it all. Planned on running with Mellum but lost both Tim and Whippet in the pre-dawn haze, just after the guy came down on his ankle (ouch). I walked up Bogong with Sean,Nathan, Milov and Tamsin around, but then started to think the boys were up ahead instead of behind. I stopped at the cairn where the radio guy informed me they hadn't been through yet, so I waited a few minutes. It was so beautiful up there, I could have easily hung around longer. Highlight of the climb was Andy Kromar bounding by with walking sticks, very impressive indeed.
We kind of strung along together but with Whippet fanging it downhill we spread apart to the river. T-Spur was very overgrown and at one point I thought I was on a wombat trail. We reached the river where everyone regrouped. UCB and Whippet were already there, along with Milov and Tamsin and a couple of others and then Tim arrived. There was a lot of pfaffing about on the tree so Dave and I decided to wade through the water, very refreshing.
The climb up Duane Spur hurt and I could feel the fatigue in my legs. Dave took off and I pulled away from Tim and Whippet figuring we could regroup again near the top. This didn't happen however and I started to worry about the cutoff at Langford. I decided to keep moving fearing I would miss the cut. About 3km out from Langford I pulled up alongside Dave and we ran in together. I think it was about 6.20 or so. With a tight cutoff at Omeo road we didn't hang around too long. Mel fixed us up with some icy poles and a cool powerade, whilst refilling our packs, thanks Mel.
As we left we looked back for the boys but no sign, I feared the worst. We passed Milov just before pulling into Omeo Rd with about 20 minutes to spare.
Had a good break and then decided to leave and walk the high plains in the hope Tim and Whippet would catch us. Bro was in great spirits having beat the cut and we could relax a little. From there on we never saw the other two and at one stage were informed they didn't make the Omeo Rd cut? Milov came by informing us that Dog was behind! We walked mostly with the odd trot when we could and eventually began the descent into Cobungra Gap. Exe had joined us now and together we ran it in. It was very hot at the gap but the climb up Swindlers felt the best of the day, and once at Derrick Hut I looked at the split sheet and mentioned to Bro we were 15 mins in front of Dog? He jumped up straight away and took off in front of me! We made good progress with a lot more running over the last section to finish strongly in 11.29.
It was great to see that Tim and Whippet did indeed make the cutoff and finish. Good times. Excellent run too UCB!
Awesome country, the wildflowers were fantastic and the views to die for. Personally my most enjoyable B2H to date.

Thanks again Mike et al.

6 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, January 08, 2008, Blogger Tesso said...

Great start to the year Spud.

Re UCB, I think you've created a monster :-)

 
At 11:00 PM, January 08, 2008, Blogger Superflake said...

Good run Spud. I have not been up there in Summer, but the views from Hotham across the Bogong High plains in winter are magic.

 
At 12:00 AM, January 09, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What better way to start the year?

Love the graphics, loved the run.

Time to start thinking 6'. ;)

 
At 10:37 PM, January 09, 2008, Blogger undercover brother said...

hey i didnt think whippet commented on blogs ;)
great to have you with me dude.
just luved having a personal pacer.
signed
mountain man

 
At 9:37 PM, January 10, 2008, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Nice run Spud. Well done.

 
At 4:16 PM, January 12, 2008, Blogger Ewen said...

Just making the cut-off is something. I have a mate who hasn't done that despite numerous Six Foots in the 4:30 range.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home