Tuesday, November 13, 2007

"Great" Weekend

My feet are swollen and sore but there are no blisters and my legs are feeling better today after some stiffness yesterday. The Great North Walk 100 has everything you could possibly want in a trail ultra, absolutely delighted with how my race went. We were very lucky with the weather as it transpired on the day. I targeted a sub 30 hr finish but when I was well up on my projected splits at CP3 I thought I'd push for 28. To finish in 26:57 was way beyond my own expectations and a nice 8hr15min improvement on last years time :) CR Sub50 was an awesome pacer who seemed to know exactly when to pull me along when I was flagging, thank you so much mate.
I was hoping to come away with little to no foot trauma so I can give C2K a good crack this year and that's seems to be the case, so I am rapt. The peroneal tendon niggled early on through the first rainforest section but never bothered me thereafter, amazing what a little rest and a tube of Voltaren gel can do.

8 Comments:

At 8:02 PM, November 13, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

That's a great run Spud. An 8hr 15min PB! Bloody hell, you can run to the caves and half way back in that time.

More rest and Voltaren gel and C2K should be an uphill piece of cake ;)

 
At 9:21 PM, November 13, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spud,

It was a great experience to see what all this Ultra business is all about. I enjoyed almost every bit of it - just not the leeches!

Looking forward to C2K.

 
At 9:44 PM, November 13, 2007, Blogger Jen said...

An 8hr PB? OMG. That's incredible Spud! An awesome result on its own but particularly special in light of recent events!

Congratulations Spud - a much deserved result. Enjoy the recovery & I'll looking forward to reading your C2K race report!

 
At 9:19 AM, November 14, 2007, Blogger Tesso said...

Great work Spudmeister!

 
At 11:24 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger undercover brother said...

and i dedicate this race too.....
voltaren! :)
8 hr pb by butt - whippy held u back last time ;)
great result mate in a top field.

 
At 11:48 PM, November 14, 2007, Blogger Superflake said...

Awesome run Spud. An 8hr PB that is just huge.

 
At 10:36 AM, November 16, 2007, Blogger Clairie said...

You're just getting tooooo scary Mr Spud!

Well done for the weekend and I hope by now you are starting to walk more easily and that the swelling has gone down.

Totally amazing to think of what you achieved and you should be immensely proud that all the hard work and consistency in your training has paid off for yet another PB.

Well Done!

 
At 4:14 PM, November 22, 2007, Blogger tim said...

nice.

I agree with dave 8hr PB - get out of here!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home