Tuesday, January 01, 2008

2007 Recap

Ok I have done this the last couple of years so here goes again.

2008 was the year of Western States, everything in the lead up (first 6 months)was training and geared specifically toward the goal of attaining a silver buckle/sub 24hr finish.

This is how it went.

January:

Started the year off with a pleasing PB at the Black Stump Run in 3.34.
With B2H cancelled( I wasn't too disappointed TBH, as I was not fully recovered from C2K and it could have gotten ugly) some 6FT training on the track was a nice substitute. I also managed a good 3 lapper at Quarry Rd (39km) and Rod's Australia Day Fatassathon 33km, a Blue Mountains run along the Blue Labyrinth.

February:

The month began with another trip to the 6FT track for some training at KT's Mega Megalong Fatass Run, a return trip from Megalong Valley to Pluvio 36km. The emphahsis was on as many trail runs as possible with the eye on Western States and the hillier the better. I finished the month off with a great hitout at the famed Orchard Run at Ourimbah (31.5km).

March:

A very pleasing PB at the 6FT Track Marathon in 4.42 and a tough 50km training run along the Old Great North Rd trail. I was building both in strength and confidence.

April:

I needed to step up the mileage looking at close to 100 mile weeks. A good month with the following long runs, again the emphasis on trail.
Glenbrook Gallop Fatass Run 43km
GNW Wakefield to Heaton Gap return-27km
Hellgate Gorge Fatass Run-46km (awesome tough hilly Blue Mountains run)
Quarry Track-43kms

May:
This was my biggest month in training aiming for 400 miles.
I wanted to follow the same pattern in training that had proved successful the previous two years in the lead up to a 100 miler, so as I would be away for PMC whilst running WS, I decided to run it alone followed by a Rebel 12FT Track.

Poormans Comrades (96km) -9.27
Wisemans Ferry Fatass Run (Old Great Noth Road)- 38km
Rebel 12FT (90km)- 10.47, my first time under 11hrs, delighted with this run.
One of the big surprises of the month was the SMH Half Marathon were I ran a PB going sub 90 mins finishing in 88:59. I was not expecting this,a good indication that the higher mileage was also helping out in the speed endurance department.

June:

The best month of my running career with a trip of a lifetime to the Western States 100 mile trail run with a fantastic bunch of Aussies. Nabbed a silver buckle and had a fabulous time both before and after the race holidaying in San Francisco with Mellum. :) Goal achieved, I was rapt.

July: Woodford to Glenbrook 25km: I really enjoyed this run a week after WS. Ran an equal best time of 1.52. Later in the month got back out on the Quarry Track for a 40km hilly run in 3.41 with an eye on Septembers Glasshouse Mountains 100 miler.

August:

Ran the annual 12FT/City to Surf double with a very pleasing 10.52 (1st place) and 67min C2S. Managed to get down to the Willy to Billy (36km) trail run too and ran a pleasing 20 minute PB in 2.50.

September:

Wasn't expecting to get to the Glasshouse 100 but got roped into it by Mellum, how could I resist :) Finished 2nd with what was one of my finest runs to date in 19.39, finally cracking 20hrs after 3 attempts. 2 weeks later I had surgery on a tail bone cyst which would require some rest from running.

Oct:

After a complete 2 week break from running I got back into it with the focus now on the Great North Walk 100 miler in November. I went back to the Watagans and got some great training in on the GNW trail from Wakefield to Heatons Gap return. I followed this up the week after with a 40km run along the Old Great North Road and then another 6hrs on the GNW trail the weekend after. However I ramped up my mileage a tad too quickly after my enforced rest and suffered peroneal tendonitis in the ankle for most of the month.

November:

After some reduced mileage and a taper I had a fantastic run at the Great North 100 miler finishing 5th in 26.57. I was still limping around with ankle niggles but was delighted to get through it.

December:

Right the big one. This was a great opportunity to finish my best running year to date on a high with a solid effort at the Coast to Kosciuscko 246km ultra. There was huge momentum building up to it with record entrant numbers. I figured a podium would be fantastic with some very good runners lining up and achieved just that with my best run of the year finishing with a big PB in 33.07 and "turd" spot on the podium :)

2007 could not have been any better, all my goals achieved and some fantastic memories along the way, without doubt the Western States was the pinnacle.

Only problem now is how the hell am I going to go one better in 2008??
But there in lies the beauty of this sport, there are no limits.....

Thanks for all the support along the way guys,

Happy Running in 2008!

11 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger Blair said...

Congratulations on such a fantastic year Spud! Here's to an even better 2008!

 
At 9:09 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger Jen said...

Wow. What an incredible year you've had Spud. You are right - there are no limits. I can't wait to see what 2008 has in store for you.

Thanks for all your support throughout the year. My very best wishes to you & your family for the new year !

 
At 10:42 PM, January 01, 2008, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Bloody Hell thats a lot of running in one year.

No wonder you are running so well, the training has not missed a beat all year.

 
At 1:37 PM, January 02, 2008, Blogger Superflake said...

Awesome year Spud. WS and C2K definitely my pick of your finest runs for the year. Even better for 2008.

 
At 10:14 AM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Horrie said...

You've had a stellar year Spud. Congratulations on achieving all your goals. It is hard to imagine how much more you can improve. But I still think that there is a bit of improvement in your C2K time. All the best for 2008.

 
At 11:21 AM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Spud said...

Thanks guys. Agreed Horrie, but I reckon I need more than 4 weeks recovery after GNW100 to knock time off C2K. We'll see..?

 
At 1:52 PM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Clairie said...

Happy New Year Spud and congrats on such a great year. What on earth are you going to pull out to top that one this year??

All the best and hope to see you on the road soon.

 
At 3:04 PM, January 03, 2008, Blogger Tesso said...

Best performed CR of the year if you ask me!

Happy 2008 Spud. See you in it hopefully.

 
At 7:35 AM, January 04, 2008, Blogger undercover brother said...

thats an unbelievable year mate!
gotta luv the ultra slam.
go mellum 2008.

 
At 3:22 PM, January 05, 2008, Blogger Ewen said...

That's what I was thinking... it'll be hard to better 2007. Both WS and C2K were brilliant. Perhaps a step up from turd spot on the podium? A sub-4 hour 6'?

 
At 11:58 PM, January 08, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Tesso: most consistent ultra performer for 2007.

It was great to be a part of some of the highlights.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home