Re-blogged
Or reboot? Thought I would kick this blog off again as a way to track and record some of the training I have been doing as I prepare for my assault on the Hardrock course in July. For the uninitiated the Hardrock 100 is a one hundred mile footrace through the Suan Juan Mtns in Colorado, US. The Suan Juans form part of the Rocky Mountain Range and with a total elevation gain of some 10,000mtrs, average elevation at 11,000ft and one peak at over 14,000ft it is reputed to be one of the toughest 100 milers in the world. My training for this event started in earnest at the end of March after completing the Alpine100 Challenge. The plan is to build up to 100 mile weeks through to May and hold it there maintaining a respectable base. I will then drop the mileage early June and increase intensity before departing for the States end of June.
The idea is to be in the best physical shape I have ever been, (even fitter than I was in 2007 for Western States). I'll need to be to tackle this challenge particularly as I will have limited time to acclimitise to the altitiude. I will spend 10 days in Silverton prior to the race where I hope to do some course marking and get 'altitude fit'.
Training has been very good with a a very simple approach. I have basically been running 20kms every weekday morning before work with 85% of the course on trails through Lane Cove National Park. I throw in some speed work with 30/30 or 60/60 efforts in the back half of these runs or just run tempo in the middle some days.No intervals, they can wait until June. Barefoot Fridays and then head up to the Blue Mountains at the weekend for a long and usually hilly 40-60km run. Average mileage through April has been 150kms/ week. In addition I have started doing core, hip and hammie strengthening work every night. May will be a bigger month mileage wise with a couple of big ultras thrown in.
At the NF100, I will be participating in the relay with Whippet. Wasn't planning on running NF at all this year but an opportunity popped up and so I thought a good solid 55km would be beneficial. Plan is to race it off no taper and go hard. The following weekend I plan to run the entire TW course from Brooklyn to Sydney with Sub50.
The body is holding together quite well although I have been managing a niggling knee due to the increased mileage. Training and strengthening guidance from coach Phibes has been gold, very helpful. Here's to May....


2 Comments:
Good luck Phil. I'm sure you will go well at Hardrock just like WS2007.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Post a Comment
<< Home