Great North Walk 100s 2009

I decided to run the 100km at GOW instead of the 100 miler in order to give this one a real bash this year. With a training program and some general guidance in the weeks leading up to provided by Martin Fryer I was confident I would perform well.
Of course a lot of the planning can be weather dependant and with hot temps forecast for the race the strategy changed somewhat. I would carry more water and ease off during the hotter part of the day in order to hopefully run well through the night and into the following morning. This would eventually prove to be a prudent move amongst many.
I arrived at the race start quite early, after lying in bed wide awake at 4am, I ended up getting to the start line at 4.50am. I was well prepared, just had to register, drop the bags and re-park the car in an off street.
This provided me with some time to relax and get mentally prepared.
There would be a large turn out this year with 65 in the 100 miler and another 40 odd in the 100ker. Wow how this run has grown over 5 years.
Dave said “go” bang on 6am and I quickly settled into a pack running in 7-8th position.
The 100kers up front took off as expected along with the usual gun starters Tim, Dog and Beaver. The first section of this race is IMO the toughest. Even on fresh legs it has it all in terms of terrain, hills and challenge. We hit the first trail 6.5km in at Wakefield, and almost immediately are faced with a long climb. Good stuff. I immediately started power walking the steeper stuff, each time sucking away on my hydration hose. No point getting into deficit this early. I soon pulled up alongside Trevor the race doctor, running his first 100 and indeed first run over the half marathon distance! He moved well, bounding up the climbs only for me to catch up on the downhills. I was impressed with his cool pair of NB100s, the new super minimalist trail shoe from New Balance. We stayed together pretty much all the way through the first section up to Heaton Lookout and into the rainforest, guiding each other through its numerous creek crossings, boulder hopping and climbs all the way to Myall Lookout. Dave Coombs in the100km joined us for a stretch too and shortly before the first CP we reeled in Dog. Together we arrived at CP1 in 3.42.
A short stop and we were back out on the nice downhill along the Myall Range.
It was already starting to warm up and we knew we were in for a torturous day in the sun.
Teaming up with Dog and Trevor again we ran solidly for the next couple of hours. At one stage we were greeted by a rather large monitor that scared the crap out of Trevor as it scurried across the trail and up a nearby tree. They are truly majestic creatures.
Trevor dropped off the pace along here, so now it was just Dog and I pushing each other.
I enjoyed this, it was good to spend some trail time together, reminding me of the inaugural year of this great race where I paced Dog.
We spotted Beaver just before the drop into the valley and soon enough caught him just before entering the singletrack. I was feeling quite good and looking forward to the plummet into the valley. It was hot and my feet were moving around a bit in my shoes but no way was I stopping to tighten my laces; that would have to wait until we reached the unmanned water stop on the other side of the creek. The water stop was most welcome with temps rising rapidly; coupled with high humidity we were all feeling the effects. Mick and Peggy were there when we arrived. We took some time out to refill and cool down before tackling the climb out. I downed a tin of spaghetti washed down with a Gu. Within 10 metres up the hill from behind me I hear someone losing their lunch. I turn around to find Dog projectile vomiting everything he had just ingested. He then proceeded to pass me on the climb, amazing resolve!
We struggled upwards with the merciless sun beating down on us. I was soaked through from perspiration and thankful I was carrying 3.2 ltrs of water. Mixing electrolytes with water in the handhelds was a good decision on the day.
Mick and Andrew decided to have a rest further up the hill in the shade of the tree canopy. A nice spot for a rest I thought as we passed them.
Dog and I kept each other honest as we skirted Mt Warrawolong and then joined the Bar Trail. We were moving along fairly well when Andrew appeared from behind running very strongly. He blew past us impressively given we weren’t slouching.
Across Pig and Sow and down toward the Basin I opened a gap on Dog and whilst feeling better now with the heat of the sun abating I ran strongly into the checkpoint passing Tim on his way out and Andrew on is way out, just as I arrived. I retrieved my drop, quickly refilled, ate some and left. A much better transition than previous years, but I couldn’t help but think an efficient well prepared crew would shave even more time off my checkpoint stops, next year maybe. The climb out of the Basin can be tough but is a good spot to get a gapper on those behind and push on to try and open it as much as possible. I saw Terry and Darrel before the turn off and the ever present Sharon with video camera in hand. She smiled and offered encouragement.
I hit the intersection and began the long climb out of the Basin. Reaching the top I was acutely aware not to make the same mistake as last year and miss the turn off. No worries this time as I smashed it down Kingtree Ridge Rd feeling great. This long descent is a great section of trail where you can run at a fair clip, very much like the Woodford to Glenbrook trail.
I arrived at the Cedar Brush Trackhead feeling great and with 12km to go to Yarramalong, was looking forward to getting this section out of the way. I popped my Ipod on and settled into a reasonable pace and enjoyed watching the colours of the surrounds deepen in the fading light. The homesteads dotted along this stretch of road must be wonderful places to live. I was enjoying the shuffle mix on my ipod and was calculating an 8.15pm arrival into the school. Sharon appeared once again shooting from her car.
I donned the headlamp about a km out from the school arriving there 8.11pm.
I sat down for the first time and tucked into some food. Mick arrived shortly after me finishing his 100km race. Keith Buzzlighyear helped me with my drop bag and change of clothes for the night, cheers mate, and then Pommie Jo offered me some hot spuds, how could I resist. 11 mins later I was sorted and off on the road, coffee in hand, into the night. Magic time.
I made it to the Bumble Hill Rd intersection before anyone arrived so knew I had a reasonable gap on those behind. No sign of the narky mutt from my training run here a few weeks earlier. I hustled along the climbing trail to the powerlines, left and up the steep pitch. At the top there is a clearing where you can see south to the horizon and if you look closely enough the lights from Somersby can bee seen, still a few hours away though. Down Cherry Lane and then the drop to Dead Horse Creek and back up to the road it wasn’t too long before I arrived at the unmanned water stop. I didn’t bother stopping as I had enough water on board. Chocolate covered coffee beans fuelled me as I picked my way down to the edge of the Ourimbah State forest popping out on the wonderful stretch of groomed trail that hugs Ourimbah Creek. Passing Forty Acres farm I remembered this was where Martin Dugdale took a left and went back up the hill….ouch.
Constantly assessing myself along the way, enough fuel, water…pace ok etc and people often ask what the hell you think of out there.
Soon enough I was climbing again up from Hidden valley to the Somersby Plateau. A house nearby was in full party mode. I struggled up this climb for whatever reason but once up top ran all the way into the checkpoint. A similar split to previous years but I feel I can improve on this leg in the future.
Greg love was there as it customary now along with Mick who was now following the progress of the 100 milers. I didn’t hang around, 7 minutes and out. I looked up the street for light as I left but nothing but inky blackness. Made it to the turn off at Silvester’s Rd and still no signs of runners from behind. I was surprised given I didn’t feel like I ran the last section too well?
As I reached the trailhead I looked back once more and this time saw 2 lights, bugger someone was on my hammer, better get moving. I had no idea who but figured it was Terry and pacer? I ran hard down to the creek, along the rock strewn trail, passed the dam and came to the crossing. Well marked again this year, no worries at all picking up the trail on the other side. My energy levels seemed to be improving as I made a conscious effort to get more calories in, Mars bars and spaghetti hoops doing the trick. I never had any problems with sleep monsters whatsoever which was good. I was enjoying the trail along Mooney Mooney creek when I noticed a slowing Tim Cochrane in the distance. He was obviously struggling as I approached him, staggering a bit on the trail. I asked him if he needed anything and made sure he was o.k. before picking up the pace again. I was feeling good and wanted to keep moving whilst doing so. I arrived into the CP at 4.20am. I had a coffee, coke and soup and a can of creamed rice before leaving 7 mins later. Darrel’s wife was there so I figured he wasn’t too far behind. As I hit the trail to Piles creek I noticed a couple of headlamps bobbing their way into the checkpoint. Again I wasn’t sure who the owners were..
With renewed energy and the knowledge that this was it, the final section I put on the after burners and flew down to the footbridge. The climb on the other side went by relatively easy. I was really enjoying this new lease of life as dawn approached and made excellent time across the sandstone plateaus of the Brisbane Water National Park. I saw Peggy in the distance at one stage can’t quite remember where but before the water drop. She wasn’t moving too quickly and complained about her knee as I passed. Pity as she was going so strong earlier. She still went on to finish in a course record time however, excellent. I didn’t pause for long as I was feeling fantastic and just wanted to go with it. I have never felt so good at the end of a 100 miler, well maybe once at GH one year. Everything clicked. I was soon at the unmanned water stop and again I didn’t stop long, just chugged on a quick drink of water and left.
From there to Patonga drive I ran and ran, even some of the steeper climbs. I was in a totally different place to previous years at this stage and it felt damn good.
I crossed Patonga drive and hit the trail to the Warrah Trig. Looking at my watch I knew I had a PB bagged thanks largely to this last section, how much was just a matter of a few minutes away. The final descent to the beach is a special place, that imminent first touch on the soft sands of Patonga Beach but minutes away.
I popped out on the beach and made for the car park, skirted the waters edge and saw the finish line. There was lively crowd (well a few people) there cheering me in. I touched the pole in 26.29, for second place, an age group course record and a 28 minute PB, giddyup. I’ll take that.
Thank you Dave Byrnes for the opportunity to race this one again this year and thanks and well done to all the runners, crews and volunteers.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home