Poorman's Comrades 2009
That was lots of fun. We couldn’t have picked a better day weather wise for it.
I love this run, one of the few road runs I’ll try to do every year. I remember when I first starting looking at ultra runs (fatass) this one always stuck out for me as one of the more intriguing point to point journeys. Imagine running from the Central Coast to Sydney, how cool would that be? 6 years later and it still holds a certain magic.
I have been building up my base mileage of late with an eye on my goal race at Mont Blanc in August, so went into PMC with no taper. Plan was just get out there and run on feel, although admittedly I did have some splits for an 8.59 finish just in case. J
I have been pretty consistent with this one with my previous 4 runs all round 9.13-9.28, that sub 9hr run seemed elusive. Alas..
Early into the run and I felt great, was happily running 5min kms, tackled the first hill up Debenham Rd with ease running with Michael (RunMikeyRun who shared some of Manly to Palm Beach with us) and Keith “the pocket rocket” aka BuzzLightyear. I wasn’t too sure about the road closure but thankfully Andrew “Beaver” assured us we were good to get across. It was along here that Michael and I opened up a small gap to Keith and the others. Still feeling strong running all inclines well, eating and drinking ‘early and often’. On the descent to Mooney Creek I pulled away and was now on my own, love that stretch, in fact it’s probably the best part of the whole run, so beautiful at the bottom, whip and bell birds going off, the GNW to the left, lots of memories flow along here. Andrew was at the bottom offering his crewing services to whomever; I was good to go so politely declined. I was in fact carrying quite a bit of kit with a MULE camelbak packed with warmer gear for race end and plenty of food and water. I also wore a small Nathan belt with 2 (250ml) bottles that I used for my Sustagen mix, a good trial for the compulsory gear that will be required for UTMB.
Not sure why but despite the miles in the legs I felt great on the climb out of Mooney Creek, and continued to just plug away hoping it would last. I think it was near Calga Interchange when Chris (Barney) passed me, it was only a matter of time, he’s a much stronger runner than I. We chatted briefly before he took off.
I slotted into a nice pace arriving at the supposedly closed Mt White Village Store at 25kms in a touch over 2hrs. Chris was having a crew stop off the side of the road; I pushed on through despite the shop being open. Chris rejoined me before pulling away again. I ran hard down the hill to the Mooney Servo at 35km (2.52) where I grabbed some water from Andrew for the 4km climb to the Pie in the Sky on the other side of the Hawksbury River. Passed Coolwalker David on the Bridge and wished him well, he’d been going since 3.30am! I remember feeling knackered reading about the travel logistics he had just getting to the start line.
Anyhow, the trot up to the Pie in the Sky went by easily enough, again I was still feeling strong. I saw Mick briefly who wished me well, nice to see a familiar face and the support is always great. I grabbed a vegie pie and gatorade and left scoffing the pie whilst running and preceded to almost choke on it, so dry it was. Still good to get some ‘real’ food in. I hit the marathon mark shortly thereafter in 3.36.
The next section is pretty taxing on the mind, through to Cowan and then onto Berowra and Mt Kuringai, some nice rolling hills, plenty of cyclists passing by, some offering encouragement. I was looking forward to the turn off for Bobbin Head. As I rolled into Mt Colah, Chris (Hamburglar) turned up looking for a long run in his preparation for the M7 marathon and so joined me. He popped into the servo and grabbed me a much-needed coke, as I was feeling a little flat by this stage.
It didn’t take long before the coke kicked in and the long descent to Bobbin Head passed by quickly. I was enjoying the distraction of conversation with Chris’s company too. Beaver was at the head and I availed of his service filling my Nathan bottles to make up some Sustagen for the climb out. Apparently I had roughly 3kms on Buzz and Barney was 15-20 minutes ahead of me. Chris mentioned it was an awkward place to be as we trotted up the other side of Bobbin Head, 3km behind and 3km in front, I was happy enough. After what seemed an interminable amount of time we finally reached the turn off for the Pacific Hwy again, that stretch through Turramurra never ceases to surprise me. I found better legs running down to Gordon with the pace increasing. Then all of a sudden we noticed a group of runners ahead. I then realised it was Barney and his mates (Dave C and crew). I pulled up alongside and asked if he needed anything, it seemed the electrolyte/food issues that have plagued him were back to bite again. A real shame as would have taken this race out such was his lead. The roller coaster ride along Lindfield (Strickland Ave) was where I could hold onto the time I had in the bank (I was 10mins up on 9hr even split time), as long as I kept pushing the hills. Together with Chris we made good progress through here and soon enough we were in Chatswood. The run along Archer Street was a bit crazy with the now busy roads and pedestrians to deal with. However the traffic lights were kind as we made our way around Mowbray and Herbert Sts and on the stretch for home. After rejoining the Pac Hwy at Nth Syd, I realised sub 9 was on but it might be a push. Get moving, it’s all downhill from here! The pace increased and soon we were on Alfred St skirting the Harbour Bridge. I could see the Opera House, it was 8.30 in, I had 30 minutes to cover 4km and get to the Opera House. Still I was dubious of the distance and once on the Bridge we were pulling out 4.30s. I was maxing out and really feeling the effort aerobically. A quick dash down Argyle St and onto the madness of Circular Quay. Running like crazy past the ferries, I knew then I had sub 9 well and truly in the bag. Weaving in and out through the mass of people coming out of the Opera House I was totally zoned out and on max effort. One last effort up the steps and then one of the most beautiful kisses of all, the traditional kiss of the Opera House sail. Stopped the watch at 8.47 and immediately fell down in a heap, smashed.
That was gold, after 6 attempts I finally snagged a sub 9hr finish. Thanks to Chris for the company, makes a difference for sure. Thanks to the tireless Beaver for helping out as well as Ourimbah, Terry and Mick for their support.
Run of the day was without doubt Buzz’s. Fantastic debut and I’m sure we can expect big things from him in the future. Watch out Glasshouse!
Improver of the day-Plu. I was so happy to learn he’d finished after so many years supporting the run. Amazing and off such little training.
Many more fine runs on the day, good to see Tim hitting some form again, and of course our one and only female finisher ERB, after a huge weekend on the GNW, fantastic stuff. Well done all.
See you next year!


8 Comments:
noice run mate. Plus I do like it when I get a mention :)
well done spud! awesome job :)
Awesome job Spud - congratulations on a sensational result!
Well done Spud.
Today people laughed a lot in when I told them I got a text from my son that you had picked up your car from my place in Pennant Hills and I was still on Bobbin Head at 70 km - it is a good story.
cheers Plu
Today people laughed a lot in when I told them I got a text from my son that you had picked up your car from my place in Pennant Hills and I was still on Bobbin Head Road at 70 km - it is a good story.
Congratulations on breaking the 9hrs Spud. Looks good for Mont Blanc.
You're a legend Spud!
Awesome result.
Like Tim, I like getting a mention too. So without further ado..."Well done Grant" :P
Congrats on cracking the 9 hour barrier. Looks like your in good shape Mont Blanc.
Post a Comment
<< Home