Manly to Palm Beach Fatass 60km

I wanted to run this one last year but couldn't so with a leave pass granted (and only a week after NF100) I was off to Sydney's northern beaches. I pulled up well after the North Face with some good runs during the week particularly Thursday and Friday. So feeling relatively recovered and fresh I lined up with about 15 others at the Surf club in Manly. Chris (Hamburglar) dreamed this one up a couple of years ago and it's been growing in numbers since. Basically it follows the coastline hugging all the beaches to Palm beach, turn around and run back to Manly. A road run but with some golf course and headland trails too to mix it up a little.
I wasn't too keen on the road bashing but a new pair of 2140s helped in the cushioning department. Started off with Innes and Milov as far as Freshwater but backed off and let them go. I dropped back and fell in with Sir Runalot and Dave Cannings enjoying the drier than expected conditions given the forecast. We picked up another runner Michael (RunMikeyRun)about 10kms in who was also backing up after TNF100 but was out for a shorter version of the run. Occasionally the wind would whip up off the sea and douse us in sea spray, the odd shower here and there and wind gusts but pretty good otherwise. We averaged 5.30s for the first 20 kms before a few testing hills and a slowing Dave C brought us back to just under 6 min pace. Lots of winding headland running with spectacular views north and south, the sea was wild with all beaches closed to the public. Stopped for a pie at Avalon, very nice, stupid me then managed to lose my money there fumbling around with my waist belt. As we approached Whale Beach road the course gets hillier. Nothing too dramatic but these short hills do take a cumulative toll.
We spotted Milov on his return trip just before the steps down to Palm Beach. Halfway in 2.57, a quick stop at the loo at the surf club and back again. A good climb back up to the road and then the slog along Whale Beach Rd where we passed the remainder of the outgoing field. I had planned on stopping at the bakery again but realised I had lost my money and only had a $2 coin, bugger. Dave had dropped off the pace earlier deciding to take it easier on the return trip. And when Michael pulled away for home with 10kms to go it was just Noel and I. We hit the 50km marker bang on 5hrs so not too shabby but slowed thereafter. I was feeling rather low with no food, running on empty, when thankfully Sir Runalot offered me a couple of sugar coated jelly babies. I soon picked up and together we ran out the remainder of the course through to Freshwater and down the hill into Manly. By now the sun was out and there were heaps of people milling about the Esplanade. We finished at the Surf Club greeted by a waiting Milov in 6.14.
A packet of chips and coke (thanks Milov) and I was feeling as good as new, albeit a bit road bashed. Good scenic run, enjoyed the day. Thank Hamburglar.
I'm thinking trails next weekend though :)


3 Comments:
Nice one mate - great google map.
If I knew you were going to take it so easy I would have run with you to Palm Beach.
I'll come to your fat ass next time ;-)
how many sleeps until UTMB?
Post a Comment
<< Home