Wednesday, July 01, 2009

G2W2G 2009

Same run as last year, an out and back of the Oaks/Bennets firetrails. I set off earlier this year as the elite mtb'ers were getting away at 9am from Woodford. I allowed 2.5hrs so left at 6.25am from the N.P gates. It was dark still, cold but not too bad. A wicked fog forced me to run with the headlamp switched off down to the causeway, i couldn't see a thing.
There was one other car at the gates and I figured it might be Slowmaniac, who mentioned he was up for an out n' back.
It's a magical time of the morning watching the bush come alive as the sun comes up. I was enjoying the early rises past Bennet's Ridge trailhead where would leave the Oaks Trail in the opposite direction during the race, for the final 5kms. I could make out the occasional fresh footprint in the softer sandy sections. The long gradual climb to the helipad takes its toll, I was intent on running the whole way though for the training affect. I soon warmed up and stripped down, taking my top, moeben sleeves and gloves off. Packed away in the camebak, I took the opportunity to grab a museli bar and vegemite sanger. The sun peeped over the horizon proper, over my shoulder lighting up a single redgum ahead on the trail, fantastic.
A few mtbers came screaming past getting a head start on the race. I then caught up to a couple as they climbed up toward suicide corner. Not long after Slowmaniac appeared and we ended up running together to Woodford arriving just before 9am. After registering I took the time to eat some more food, stretch and hang out with a few familiar faces. I love ths race, it's grown so much, I remember when I first started running it standing around with as few as 40-50 odd runners at the startline, now we have 400 plus. Come start time I nestled in with Tim, Brick, Rod and Sarge. Plenty of banter and a good laugh. Plan was to run solidly to the helipad and then smash it to Glenbrook (that's the plan every year I suppose). Bang we were off, Sarge, Rod and Tim took off. Brick held back and I soon caught up. Plenty of testing hills in the first 10km, I was feeling the kms from earlier but stayed conservative. Had a chat with Brewer and Kim Cook, chugging away through 10km in 46:50mins. The helipad in 57.30 and then i saw Tim. I took off after him slowly reeling him in on the long descent. Leaning into the hill I was enjoying the 'gravity' high of downhill running. Legs felt good, some minor fatigue after a big week but happy 'nuff.
I caught up to Tim and teased him, he didn't like the fact that I was there and so took off, just the kick in the arse he needed :)
My phone rang so i slowed to answer knowing Sue and the kids might be at the finish.
Bugger just missed it, tried calling back, no signal. Tim had a gap now but i soon bridged it, phone rang again, ahh shit, slowed and never saw tim again. Brewer and Gnome passed with a few kms to go looking strong. I was happy realising I should hit the 1.54ish mark. Bennet's Ridge trail, still feeling good, I decided to push it and see what time i could get. I soon caught back up to Brewer who was saving himself for GC and then with a km to go Terry Meahan passed. I put in a chase but he was way too strong. The sweeping downhill finish makes for a nice strideout, where I passed Greta Truscott. Finish 1.51.58 net, a 10 second PB, I'll take it.

Nice to hang around with the family at the SMC tent afterwards. Lots of stuff for the kids to do too. Cool event.

1 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, July 02, 2009, Blogger Superflake said...

Good running Spud. Must do this race one day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home