Friday, January 22, 2010

C2K Memories 2009



Faster start- different approach. Marathon split 30 minutes faster than previous years.

Ran with Dog for the first 10km or so with only Jo Blake and Tim2 in front. Pulled away pushing pace around 12km.

Caught up to Tim2 and could see Jo Blake in distance before Pericoe rd intersection.

Passed an ailing Tim2 before 20km, 2nd possie

Carl passed me after Pericoe rd about 25km in?

Ran well to marathon, pushed the pace but felt tight in the calves and quads, early for this to happen.

Chris joined me for spells and we ran well to the base of Big Jack.

Good steady climb without killing ourselves.

Ran all the way into Cathcart, great pie, good split. Feeling good

Struggled up to the Dead Tree with the continuous rolling hills and early pace taking a toll.

Next person back was Dog according to Mister G and Paul, with Beaver and Milov about and a fast running Rob Hall.

102km split of 11.11

Changed garmins at the t-intersection.

Dalgety Rd was not as quick as last year, so I was losing a little time here. Eating well just felt tired and stride was continually shortening due to heavily swollen right lower quad and knee.
Calf tightness eased and was not an issue again.

Feet were good but felt like a change later at food stop to move hot spots around.

Scott arrived with pizza along Dalgety Rd and informed me that Carl was a bout 7km ahead with Jo a further 7km in front of him.

Stopped before Alan Caldwell bridge to change into a thermal and cr tritop, sauconys and ate 2 slices of pizza. Left within 3-4 minutes, first and only time to sit down.
Felt better almost immediately upon leaving.

Scott paced me for a while again before heading back to Jindy for a kip.

More gappers on the runners behind would have been nice but got some indicators from Sean and Mel.

Chris paced a fair bit here, got the head lamps out at 8.50pm.
Not many conversation as I struggled to keep pace up.

Bob (Chris’s dad) doing a sterling job crewing.

Pulled up at Dalgety Pub feeling ok but not as spritely as last year.

Switched to hot soup for the night running.

One coffee

Lower quad definitely having an affect on pace along the Snowy Mountain Drive towards Jindy.

Beloka range was tough, took a dump, felt better. More soup and creamed rice.

Drank heaps of sustagen, even through the night.

Started running again top of Beloka, and found a good rhythm on the down hill towards Jindy. Could see crew cars behind, but no idea who. Whacked on the Ipod.

Sean came by and informed me Rob Hall was moving well through the field. Milov and Beaver not far behind.

Finally reached the roundabout at Lake Jindy with Rob only a few hundred metres behind.

Scott rejoined and we hit the bike path immediately.

Tried to up the pace but there wasn’t much there after the long downhill into Jindy. Eventually got the ‘walk with purpose’ thing happening up the first rise once rejoining the road.



Sunrise was beautiful, the lake looked resplendent indeed.
Scott was good company, remained very positive despite my fugliness.

Food was still going down well and I soon restarted on the gatorade as it warmed up.

As we approached the park gates another milestone down, it was good to feel like we were finally on the road to the top.


Passed ski fields, weather was perfect.

Noticed Carl and crew ahead, was surprised given they had a 90 minute lead at one stage. As I passed I noticed Carl doing it tough stumbling about a bit. I asked if they needed anything to which Dave Byrnes replied, ‘a backpack’ 

I didn’t think I would see Carl again.

I was now in 2nd position and that gave me a further pep in my step. Amazing what passing a runner can do to your energy levels!
Scott marched ahead dragging me in tow.

Chris was having a well earned kip and his Dad was doing a fine job meeting my dietary requirements. We used walkie talkies this year courtesy of Bob and they worked really well. I would put an order in ahead of time and Bob would have it ready as I rolled by. No stopping, constant forward motion is always the creed.

At one point I looked behind to see a crew car stopped, I knew Carl was catching back up, having spoken to Sean earlier. Then all of a sudden looking back at one of the long winding undulations I saw a runner flying down the hill, in full pelt!

Amazing I was in awe and there was no way I could match this pace.
Turned out it was a runner from NZ who applied to enter the race but didn’t quite make the entry requirement set by Paul. He started earlier at Jindabyne and was doing a run to the top. When he finally caught me, we chatted for a bit and ended up running together over the final few kms into Charlotte Pass. He motored ahead in front on the final steep pinch into CP. My crew were there and had my pack ready with 1.5ltrs of water, food and a rain jacket. A quick smearing of sun cream and we were off on the trail. Paul E joined us for a bit as has become almost customary every year.

We heard Carl was flying after finding a second wind. I was probably 20 minutes ahead at this stage but was hurting. My feet hurt from the stone bruising they were copping on this trail. I should have switched to trailies for the added protection. My quad/knee was huge now and bending it more than 45 degrees hurt like hell.
Still I was determined to keep plugging away as best I could and see what happened. We made it to Seamans hut when Scott picked up Carl below in his camera lens, he was crossing the Snowy river bridge and was running!
At this stage I just simply didn’t have any more to give and resigned myself to getting caught. If my quad wasn’t giving me so much agro I would almost certainly have raced to the top more.
Anyhow we skipped across the snow drifts and circulated our way ever upward to the apex. It was such a buzz to hit the top of Australia once more. We didn’t hang around though and after a couple of snaps we left.



I began running again grimacing with pain as each footfall send waves of pain up my legs. Carl and crew were now only a few metres behind me and we exchanged greetings as he passed. I was very impressed with how well he was moving, a fantastic transformation. Hats off.


We would then pass the procession of runners on their outward trip to the top. First Pam and crew and then Beaver and Milov, followed by Rob, some looking better than others but all with that magic look of sheer determination on their faces. There wasn’t much left in my tank and so I just trundled my way to the finish line finishing in 31.44, a big PB of 1hr22mins. It was nice to stop and chat with Paul and Diane before hopping in the car and rolling down the mountain back to Jindy.



Pulled up reasonably well in the following days, a massage by Dog’s masseur Lenny helped loosen the fluid accumulation in both my knee and quad.
So happy enough with 3rd place, another podium but can’t help feel I have a better time in me, if the planets align one year.

Hmmm.

1 Comments:

At 9:27 PM, January 22, 2010, Blogger Hamburglar said...

Good to relive a few memories, thanks Spud. I really enjoyed myself this year and agree that you defintely have a sub 30 in you with a few minor adjustments.

Anyway, I thought we weren't thinkig about that?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home