Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Streaks

Never intended to start one put find myself immersed in one at the moment. I have run every day, somedays twice for the past 60 days, pretty much since the Alpine Challenge back in March. It's funny how things creep up on you. I was aware I had to put in a good solid block of training in both April and May, base building for Hardrock but would normally take a day off per week to spend time with the family and recover. Well that all changed when Sue decided she would like me to come along on Sunday runs, who am I to complain. :)
It's been one of the best and certainly toughest training periods of my running life, with a half marathon before breakfast every weekday and the occasional double day. Mostly run on trails in the LCNP, I have become aquainted with every twist and turn of the trail network there. For a vertical fix I head to the Blue Mtns most weekends, I'm sure my car could get me there on auto.
Some days I run harder than others, some I feel like utter shite and then the next day like a million bucks. I let my body's feedback dictate the speed. I go through periods of impatience, short temper, crazy hunger, sleepless nights, crankiness, and then there are days where I feel like I could run forever. I am strong, focussed, determined and loving the feeling that comes after a punchy run through the bush on a cold winters morn. All of this training does have some drawbacks with a niggling knee that's slowly on the mend. I am constantly monitoring it and hoping that a drop in mileage in June will help matters. Speaking of June, that's when the quantity will drop from 100 mile weeks to ~120kms with more focus on quality. Hills and speed sessions will replace some of my beloved morning riverside runs and I'm quite sure my streak will end too with some recovery/run free days. Hopefully this will sharpen me up and put me in the right stead for a decent crack at Hardrock.
Time will tell...

2 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, May 25, 2010, Blogger undercover brother said...

you are starting to sound like tim.

 
At 10:26 PM, May 25, 2010, Blogger Superflake said...

I read that you had been streaking through the bush again. Must be hard on a cold morning in lane cove. Great training block Phil. Looking forward to see how you go at Hardrock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home