Tuesday, June 15, 2010

12FT and update

So May has come and gone with 640kms of running. A very pleasing month that saw me grow stronger with back to back 100 mile weeks and very consistent training. Middle of June now and I have just come off my final big week before Hardrock, culminating with a traininig run over the 12FT track where I got to do a final test on gear, nutrition and training with the trekking poles. Good news was it was probably the most effortless 12FT from the 8 I have run thus far. Hit the halfway mark on a very cold but beautiful morning in 4.58, bang on what I wanted. Cruised up the Mini and Pluvi climbs levering off my poles to great affect, amazing how good these things are if used properly. I am a covert now.
Met up with buddy UCB for the return leg. He had hot chips and a coke waiting at the caves for me, and was great company on the way back. We cruised back making good time from the river to finish the second leg in 6.27. So 11.25 for the day and 12mins faster than last years 12FT training run for Mont Blanc. The most pleasing thing apart from the apparent increase in fitness was the fact that my knee once warmed up behaved very well.
Backed up and ran solidly the day after too, to keep the streak going so as I write I am at 80 days and counting. I leave in a couple of weeks time so will keep a lid on the mileage and increase the intensity with some hill strengthening till then.
Without doubt the best training period of my running life, in fact I feel ridiculously fit right now. Fingers crossed the altitude doesn't knock me around too much in Colorado. Giddyup!

1 Comments:

At 9:03 PM, June 16, 2010, Blogger Primal Runner said...

Sounds like you're putting in a great block of training with plenty of good training miles. Reading about 12FT has almost inspired me to start running again.

Looking forward to seeing what you can do in your races coming up.

Cheers
Branden

 

Post a Comment

<< Home