Monday, January 24, 2011

Bogong to Hotham 2011



My race this year included a family holiday in the high country. This worked well with the kids having a great time exploring the area. We checked out Fainter Falls, Falls Creek, Washbed Creek and Langford’s Gap on the Saturday with plenty of walking, just what I needed to loosen up after the long drive down the day before.

I was feeling a little underdone training wise coming into this one with a fairly lazy xmas which saw me consume lots of food and wine over the festive period. A reasonable hitout the weekend prior at the Black Stump provided some encouragement but either way I was going to enjoy the ride. I do love the Australian Alps, my favourite place to run in the country.
I opted for the early start figuring I was not in shape to make the 5.30 to Langfords and given the option, it’s a long way to come for just the ‘appetiser’. As it transpired roughly 75% of the field had chosen the early start. RD Andy pushed back the start time by 15 minutes to facilitate running without a headlamp, just on dawn. I decided to use my trekking poles for the first time on this course rationalising I could reap some benefit with over 3200m of total climb.
I settled into a fairly comfortable pace just behind Dan on the first 2kms to the Staircase Spur. Despite my poles and a rather conservative pace I found the climb up Bogong a real chore. I was sweating like crazy, the humidity was extreme. A congo line developed with me sandwiched near the front. We topped out at the cairn in 1.52 which was slow, I was hoping for 1.40 to 1.45. Ran well to Cope and Madison Huts where I picked up a few places. It’s a magical piece of singletrack along there, all above the treeline. Then the fun began as the drop down T-Spur began in earnest. Overtaking several runners I smashed my way down the ‘cleared highway’ all the way to the river. This was probably the best fun I had all day. We were not quite sure whether T-spur had been cleared at the race briefing so this definitely helped with a speedy descent. I stopped at the river briefly (3.05) topped up my camelback and popped a couple of purification tabs in there just incase. The climb up Duane Spur began well, I was now trying to chase Bryony who had followed me to the river, but her pace was just too good. About half way up Nick pulled up alongside and we chatted for a bit. He then proceeded to pull away; I felt like I was moving quite slowly. My split to Roper’s confirmed my lethargic climb. Roper’s was indeed a welcome sight. I started to come good again after downing a Clif bar and some sportsdrink and made good progress to Warby Corner. It was much cooler than the other 4 times I have run here and once on the high plains quite surreal at times. Quick stop at Warby for some oranges and a chat to a bushwalker on route to Canberra! He was quite pleased when I informed him about the cleared spurs either side of the river.
My mood improved somewhat along the aqueduct to Langford’s. Jonathon Worswick caught me and we ran for a stretch together before he pulled way. Beth and Jim Villers passed too, Beth looking very relaxed and strong. It was nice to chat briefly with fellow UTMB’er Jim who ran so well over there 2 yrs ago.
I pulled into Langford’s feeling very good in 5.45. Chris was there having already finished for the day. He helped fill my pack and retrieved my drop bag for me. I didn’t hang around wanting to get moving across the high plains as quickly as I could.
Every year I have left Langford’s feeling pretty shagged, running a few snow poles and then walking one. Not this year I ran the whole way to Omeo Rd and then once guided to the pole line by Mike, took off across the High Plains. There was barely enough visibility to see two poles in the distance, awesome sight with the mist rolling across the landscape.
I didn’t spot any Brumbies this year but I did have my eye on a couple of runners ahead, one of whom had ghosted me all the way up Bogong.
The gap between us remained the same with both runners in front matching my pace. I was running more of the high plains than ever before and felt great. Pole 333 is a nice landmark, and always very exposed. I felt sorry for the guys there who complained about the cold wind. I hadn’t really noticed the temp drop but once stopped to refill, I did. A couple of orange quarters later and I was off southbound in the direction of Pole 267. I looked back across the wide expanse but couldn’t see any runners behind. I had closed the gap a little on the guys in front and as soon as we turned off for Cobungra Gap at Pole 267 the trail drops. I knew I could bash myself a bit more through the beautiful singletrack along here. The mist began to clear as I descended. Some tricky spots were you have to be careful but generally all good running. I passed Alan, figuring I would see him again on the climb up Swindlers. At the bottom I stopped to fill my bottle and grab some food from my pack. It was beautiful along the river here; I always wish I could just stop for a while here. Once on the other side of the river I extended my poles again ready for the climb. Surprisingly I felt super the whole way up. Damien Smith passed me looking very strong and a while later Alan did indeed catch me. However I did drop my Bogong ‘ghoster’. At the top I began to do the mental arithmetic working out whether I could make sub 10hrs. After a rather slow first half to Langford’s in 5.45 I had pretty much given up on it but given I had run so strongly across the high plains and up Swindlers, I thought maybe, just maybe?

Finding a nice rhythm closing in on Derrick Hut, Alan appeared once more in the distance. I wasn’t that interested in a scrap for line honours with him but figured if I kept him in sight he might just pull me along to that elusive sub 10. I had forgotten the distance from the hut to the finish and asked the volunteer if he knew. He said 9kms to the top, to which I almost choked on my orange quarter. What, surely not that far! I looked at my watch, the Garmin was telling me 6kms at the most. It was going to be close. I took off after Alan; he had a big gap on me now. Once up the climb to the ski lift I let loose on the long descent on the 4-wheel drive road. Making up heaps of ground here I started to believe sub 10 was possible. The summit of Hotham is actually visible from here and although it looked a long way away I knew from past attempts this ground is all runnable.

Mount Loch car park next, I looked for our car knowing Sue and the kids would be there. No sign. A little further up at the second car park just off the Alpine road they came into sight. I glanced at my watch, oh it’s getting close. I was on 9.55. The girls came up to greet me and then attempted to run up the final hill with me. I dropped them though as I still couldn’t see the finish line and didn’t want to take any chances. At last there it was, one more time check I had it in the bag.
Finish time 9.57:25, delighted with that, a big surprise on the day. Looking back at the splits that was the fastest I have covered the back half in 5 attempts at this race, 22 minutes faster to be exact. I still need to work on my hill climbing but there were a lot of positives from the day. Having the family at the finish (a rarity for me) was wonderful. Couldn’t hang around too long though as it was blowing up there and I had a ride back down the mountain. Stepping into the car out of the biting wind and cracking a beer open, priceless.

Thanks to Andy, Brett and the radio operators/volunteers. This race just gets better with age.

2 Comments:

At 3:50 PM, January 24, 2011, Blogger Unknown said...

Great report Spud, I assumed you would catch me in the last few k's as I was stuffed. I never thought we would make it under 10 hours when I first saw the summit of Mt Hotham as it looked so far away. Having you on my tail pushed me to keep going. So Thanks a lot. Alan

 
At 2:01 PM, January 25, 2011, Blogger Atty. Jonnifer M. Lacanlale said...

Hi Spud. Congratulations for coming in under 10 hours. It was sure nice to see your blog "revitalized" after Hardrock :) What is your next race?

Cheers,
Jon (Clark, Phils.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home