Thursday, November 17, 2011

Glasshouse 100 mile 2011



I had a different experience at this year’s Glasshouse. First up my mellum mates Andy and Tim couldn’t make it which meant I needed to scramble to find someone else to share car hire and accommodation costs. I had booked a family room with the intent of combining a short trip away for the girls but that also fell through.
A few emails later and Dan Bleakman, Rob Hall and the flying Kiwi Gordi Kirkbank were the new Melluminium ( as Rob put it) Alas Dan pulled out at short notice with an injury and we were 3. I arrived midday at Brissie airport to be greeted by Rob and Gordi. Off we went, picked up the hire car and made our way to the Glasshouse Mountains. It absolutely bucketed down on route, I’ve never seen so much rain the day before the race. It was torrential but short-lived and soon enough the sun was splitting the skies. This augured well for good conditions with maybe a few pools of water at best.
We settled into our motel in Beerwah and did some last minute shopping and drop bag prep. Off to the registration where we met up with some familiar GH faces and plenty of new faces too. Indeed this was a very different pre-race rego, up in the school itself and with the briefing moved to the main undercover area. Glasshouse, like most 100 milers in the country just continues to grow.
We didn’t hang around too long after the briefing, just a quick bite to eat and off to bed. It was around 8 pm when we settled in, so a good night’s sleep was had by all.
We made our way to the start line where we were weighed and given some last minute instructions. Gordi was all fired up raring to go. There were plenty of anxious looking runners waiting for the start. It was cool but skies were clear and we were expecting a good day for running.
I took off pretty much with the lead group of the Dave’s and Mike, with Gordi just behind me. On the 10km loop back to base the field spread some but I still found myself up front as we approached the climb up Beerburrum. I dropped my pack at the base and settled into a steady hike just behind a couple of 100k runners. As we neared the turnaround the views were spectacular with clear vistas in all directions. The poor volunteer at the top struggled to keep up with the influx of grouped runners as she ticked us off. I was sitting just behind Dave C and Zac on the descent, quickly grabbed my pack and stuck with them to 3A. I had prepared some splits for an optimistic sub 20hr finish. Optimistic because of a limited prep for this race with a back issue that hampered my training and prevented me doing as many long runs as I would have normally. Coming into CP4 I was 20 minutes up, feeling good. I had backed off the pace as the Daves and Zac took off.
Nutrition during the early hours was just hammer gel and water with the occasional piece of fruit at the CPs. It was working well with my energy levels feeling good.
I was flying along the rough trail to CP5 feeling fantastic in my new Cascadias (apart from feeling somewhat heavy) - very grippy on all terrain. At one point I approached a downhill section before Weetbix Hill. I was riding the ridges of the gullies when all of a sudden I went over hard. Landing hands first I yanked my right hand back and strained my wrist. Lying on the trail untangling my shorts from some roots all I could think was..are my legs ok. Knee copped a hit but was fine. I stood up and looked at my hand, already swelling up. It didn’t take long before I had to remove my watch. I hustled along figuring I could still run so just kept moving. I was annoyed but relieved I hadn’t hurt my legs and could keep running. That said I was very cautious over the next few kms or indeed along any technical trail thereafter.
CP5 was a welcome sight; I grabbed some fruit and headed off for the goat track to CP6. Ran this section quite well with a couple of 50kers passing me. As I approached CP6 I noticed some of the front pack, Zac and Dave C were backtracking after going the wrong way. There was some confusion with the signage here and after a few minutes we finally made our way onto the correct trail to CP8. At this stage Gordi, who would be my partner in crime had closed the gap and caught up. We would remain together for the rest of the race. As we left the CP Maggot passed us with ease, he was pacing himself very well.
It was starting to get warmer along the trail to CP8 but a cool breeze helped keep temps down. The powerlines were wet in places with large pools of water and mud but most could be skirted carefully. I put a small gap into Gordi along the technical stuff but he soon caught up and passed me as we made our way up the hill into CP8.
It was great to see Ann and the gang at CP8 but I didn’t want to hang around too long, just filled up and left. I set off just ahead of Gordi but soon enough we were together again. He didn’t want to miss the mango tree turn off. We also had a new canine friend tag along, followed us out of the CP and stayed with us for the entire western loop. At times it would run just in front of us almost tripping us, a few sharp words from Gordi and it would move over.
As we trudged back up the hill into the CP Tugger pulled up alongside and walked for a bit chatting. He of course was coming off his second loop and was doing it easy.
I was looking forward to meeting up with my crew for the remainder of the race - Dave McKinnon who would be back at the CP. As we approached the CP, he appeared and mentioned he had heard about my fall and subsequently had prepared a compression bandage for my (broken) wrist. Superb crew, I immediately felt much better leaving for the second loop at 8b. A couple of panadeine forte no doubt helping matters too.
The second loop felt so much easier than previous years with the cooler conditions and soon enough ‘Team Spordi’ were back at 8 for the final time.
The new course to 7 was rather dull. As we approached the CP we saw a fast moving Zac on his way out having finished his 4.4km loop at 7. The loop itself was a mixture of jogging and power walking. This time as we left 7 we saw Brick on his way in.
I was enjoying fruit and creamed rice with salted spuds at the CPs and felt great all the way back to 6 and on to 5. This is my favourite time of the day as the shadows grow longer and Mt Beerwah rises majestically before you as you approach the last bit of goat track stuff around its perimeter. It’s a big advantage getting this part of the trail out of the way in daylight. I still had my partner in crime tagging along as we pushed each other nicely. I was strong on the downhill technical stuff while Gordi made light work up any uphills. We said a quick g’day to Innes as we passed him here; he would go on to finish the 100ker in a respectable time.
CP 5 was busy as we dug out our lights and night gear. In truth we had just enough time to get back to base (CP2) without lights but you never know. Dave was doing a great job getting me in an out of the CPs swiftly.
We passed the lookout at 5 and continued on the very runnable trails back to Matthew Flinders Park and 1A. Not long after hanging a right and heading for CP2 Maggot appeared. He was moving well and in good spirits having had his pit stop at base. I figured he had a good 40 minutes on us, but we would continue to chase.
Back at Base I changed into a warmer top and got some calories in. I was leaving ahead of Gordi who was taking a little while longer getting his shit together. We teamed up again headed out onto the eastern seaction. 110kms down, 51kms to go.
We jogged the entire way to Moffat’s Road making good time. Gordi is a funny bloke to run with, constantly making noises, grunting and breathing heavily. I had to zone out at times in order to keep the distraction at bay. At one point I thought he was keeling over. He would occasionally yell out (like a painful yell) having landed awkwardly or almost tripping, I’d turn around only to see he was fine each time. Never a dull moment with Gord 
A very fast moving Mike LeRoux on his way home then appeared. I looked at my watch in disbelief; the race record was going down big time.
We ambled into CP9 after a wet and muddy traverse of Tibrogargan Creek. It’s always nice to see our Dutch friends there who have been volunteering at CP9 for years now.We made light work of Wildhorse and were soon ushered on our way to 10.
The trail deteriorated rapidly as we negotiated numerous pools of water and muddy patches. This slowed things down a little and by the time we got to CP10 my legs felt quite worked. I was looking forward to saying hi to Bill Thompson’s wife Jane who looks after this CP. She was having a kip however, so I missed her. Dave was giving me an idea on some splits for those ahead. There was a few struggling out there it appeared, and so we set off again chasing any shrapnel.
Right enough on our way back from the second (very slow and sandy) loop at 10 we came across a very haggard looking Zac. He was now walking dejectedly back to 10 having spent an inordinate amount of time on the last loop. We checked on him and wished him well. This would now place us joint 6th in the field. Could we catch Mal?
The run back to CP9 was again a painful affair with crappy footing and slowish progress. As we sat briefly eating pizza, I looked at Gord and mentioned ‘12km to go mate, let’s smash it’.
We got up grabbed our tickets and headed up Wildhorse for the last time. Gord was way out in front here, moving very well. I trudged up and took a brief moment to take the wonderful vista on top. Back at 9 and it was game on. We flew out, realising we could break 19.30 if we pushed it, a respectable time.
I faltered somewhat though on the boring wide forest trails that brought us back to Moffats Rd, finally coming good when we crossed the road and could ‘smell the barn door’. There would be no catching Mal however who finished comfortably under 19hrs. And so we settled for joint 6th place with a good push along the last section back home.
Running the final km or so, memories came flooding back of the numerous finishes I have been blessed to have experienced here. It’s not the prettiest 100 mile course in the country but certainly has a unique charm of its own, the birthplace of my 100 mile journey.
Thanks to Gordi for pushing me and keeping me honest at times.
Thanks too to the tireless Ian Javes and his crew of volunteers.
Lastly, Dave McKinnon, thank you for playing a big part in my brand new shiny GH100 PB!

3 Comments:

At 10:03 AM, November 17, 2011, Blogger Brick said...

Good report spud.
Without knowing it you keep a lot of people imspired and beleiving that they can do better.
Myself included in that list.

Keep on running well mate.

 
At 12:32 AM, November 18, 2011, Blogger Whippetman said...

Nice one Spud. Missed my annual pilgrimage this year but was good to hear you do so well despite the broken wrist. Look forward to your GNW report. :)

 
At 9:07 PM, November 18, 2011, Blogger Alun said...

You've never done Glasshouse until you've finished in the daylight Phil! Done it once, won't do it agan :o)

Seriously, great job mate. Not sure I saw you at all on the day but people like you and Dave (Waugh) truly put a rocket up me and get me moving.

Not sure I'd have take a broken wrist so lightly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home