Hardrock 100 2016
Hardrock100
2016.
I flew into
Durango and on to Silverton on July 4th. Eleven days out from race day and my
chance to top up the acclimatisation sessions I had been doing 3 times a week
for the previous month. Andy kindly picked me up having arrived a few days
earlier. We pulled into Silverton and the Prospector hotel late that night. I
had just missed the July 4th parade and fireworks earlier in the day, the
biggest day on the calendar for Silverton.
I took full
advantage of the first 4 days leading up to race day with long days in the
mountains reacquainting with the beautiful San Juans and some of the best parts
of the course including Virginius Pass and Bear Creek trail. I seemed to be
coping with the high altitude quite well and had no real issues with heart rate
and blood ox saturation levels good.
Race day
couldn't come soon enough however and I was chomping at the bit. After the usual catch up at race briefing,
rego and camp Hardrock, race day finally arrived. I was pumped to catch up with
Gavin and Rebekah who were in town to crew me. I decided to go pacerless this
time, a decision made easier when I found an app with the entire course laid
out, should I have trouble with navigation.
Race
morning was a buzz with nervous anxiety, the energy at the startline incredible.
Dale sent us on our way with his customary low key 'get out of here' and with
that each of us were set loose to experience the majesty of the San Juans.
Upon
leaving the town I noticed the owner of the Prospector hotel we were staying at
Andy, out on his verandah (as he had promised) watching the runners go by. I
yelled out to him and he acknowledged me. I would see him again some 2 days
later.
It was
wonderful to be finally amongst it and moving as we stepped onto the first
piece of singletrack out of town and up the shrine hill. Joe Grant had taken
off at the front with the usual suspects sitting in a group behind. By the time
I reached the top of the hill and rejoined the jeep road they were out of sight
around the bend. I chose to wear my
heart rate monitor for the first half of the race to keep an eye on effort. I
had been using it in the altitude chamber treadmill sessions in Sydney and knew
what kind of HR I would be at a given altitude and incline so had a reference
point of where I knew could sustain a measured effort. I knew there would be
some nervous energy at the start and my HR would be higher than usual so
decided to give it a few kms to settle. However what transpired was that my HR
never dropped for the first few hours sitting 10-15 beats higher than expected
for the level of effort, strange?
I joined a
group of chatty runners along Nute’s chute and down to the river crossing where
a vocal group of supporters had gathered. It was such a buzz being out there
again and I never for one second took for granted the amazing opportunity
afforded us getting picked in the sacred lottery once again.
The first
climb up to Putman was way prettier than I remembered from 6 years ago with an
abundance of wild flowers about, the early spring providing a blanket of
colours across the San Juans, a sight that would be repeated throughout the
weekend across the mountains.
I fell in
with Meghan Hicks over the top of Putman, we chatted for a while before she
kicked off down the other side along the off trail section down to KT aid
station at 11.5 miles. I stopped briefly at the aid station to top up one of my
soft flasks, admiring the beauty of the valley floor, before shuffling off to
the next climb towards Grants Swamp. This section is one of the prettiest along
the ice lakes trail with the infamous Island lake off to the left. I was
struggling a little trying to keep up with the group of runners I had fallen in
with. All of a sudden Hardrock legend Billy Simpson appeared offering
encouragement with a high five just before the summit. I stopped momentarily
just before the pass at the Joel Zucker memorial plaque placing a stone on the cairn.
There was quite a gathering at the top
too, plenty of runners assembled watching the frenzied scree descent. This
section was even more treacherous with a record dry year with high temps. I
paused to look across Swamp canyon below and across to the imposing next climb
across the valley up Oscars Pass. The enormity of this undertaking really kicked
in at this point. I jumped onto the scree and began my freefall. The earth
literally moves beneath your feet, poles were useless at this point, it’s a
case of trying to remain upright. I fell on my arse numerous times ripping my
shorts glissading on the rolling earth, too much fun. The trail then opens up
to a beautiful rolling descent into the Chapman saddle before dropping steeply
to the aid station and the first opportunity to access drop bags or crew at 18
miles.
Gavin and
Rebekah would meet me at Telluride the next aid station so I used a drop here,
quickly replenishing my tailwind and gel supply. Energy levels were good but I
was beginning to feel the effects of a concerted effort at altitude and the day
was starting to warm up quite a bit. The first few swithcbacks up Oscars went
by ok. But it wasn’t long before I hit a bad patch and started to really
struggle. The climb once out of the treeline exposed to the sun was brutal. I
stopped frequently bending over my poles trying to fill my lungs, memories of
my 2010 run came flooding back. Blake Wood passed me running his 20th
Hardrock after missing last years run due to a knee op. He was in better
spirits than I and moved past efficiently. Todd Salzer another hardrock veteran
soon came past slowing to offer some encouragement noticing I was struggling,
He maintained that this climb was the toughest in all times running HR and he
was still yet to master it. A couple of runners were feeling it too some
collapsing off to the side, emptying the contents of their stomachs. I laboured
to the top finally summiting the 13,140ft pass.
There was some snow on the lee side of the pass which was easily
negotiated with some post holing. My goal was to get off the summit down into
the Wasatch basin asap, to the more oxygen rich township of Telluride. I ran
with Todd for a while along the glorious trail that parallels Telluride Bear
Creek and soon passed 17 time finisher Betsy Kalmeyer. The trails were dry and
dusty switchbacking furiously as we re-entered the treeline descending further into
the basin on route to Telluride.
Telluride
at 27.8 miles is one of the bigger aid stations and the second lowest point of
the entire course at 8750ft (Ouray is the lowest at 7870ft). As I crossed the
sports ground approaching the aid station I spotted Gav and Rebekah, who made
themselves known. They were fantastic, with everything ready. My drop bag laid
out and a chair ready. Bottles refilled, more sun cream applied and a hot
burrito, I was soon heading out of town, 30 odd minutes up on my splits from 2010.
I was in much better spirits now as I left the aid station. It was hot as I
entered the township following the chalk marks on the road. I missed the main
right turn out of town however and proceeded to walk up a hill to the north of
town. Soo realising my mistake I ran back towards the aid station and saw the
missed turn. I was annoyed with myself as I pretty much wiped out any tie gains
of the swift aid station turnaround. The
climb out of town was slow and laboured as I tried to down as much solid fuel
as possible. My stomach was way more tolerant to solids at the lower
elevations. The trail up into the forest soon affords views back over the
township. Telluride is pretty much a fancy Ouray which is a commercialised
Silverton I thought to myself. Several
switchbacks later climbing back up to 11,000 ft the treeline is reached and
views over the Mendota saddle open up. Soon after Virginius pass can be seen in
the distance. I moved well stomping away on my poles. The bench cut into the
side of the mountain was treacherous in the extremely dry conditions. This
required careful negotiation on tired legs in the ever increasing thin air. A
line of runners tackling the final pitches up to Krogers Canteen stretched out
before me. This is a major junction in the run. As I neared the final crazy
steep 50 meters to the pass, one time HR winner and multiple Barkley finisher
Jared Campbell appeared camera in hand. He geed me up as I clumsily tackled the
final pitch. Such a relief to finally summit, Roch Horton and crew moved
quickly into action. I sat down and Roch quickly stashed my poles in my pack
mentioning there was no need for them til Ouray. He offered a warm tortilla of
sorts filled with warm cheese and sweet potatoes. Oh my god did that hit the spot.
I got up and made for the rope which was placed for safety down the crazy first
descent. Much of the snow from the course marking day a week earlier was now
melted which meant we couldn’t glissade down the first pass. Bummer but
thankfully the rope allowed a safe and quick descent. Drew Gunn from Durango (whom
I had met earlier in the Pine Needle sports store in Durango) joined me here
for the descent. He was attempting his fifth run to become a veteran. After the
first pitch roped descent we proceeded to glissade down the second, at times
falling knee deep in melting snow. A mixture of fear and exhilaration enveloped
me. Before long we were pulling into Govenor aid station. I didn’t stop here
instead choosing to proceed directly onto Camp Bird mine road and the long dry
and dusty 14km descent into the township of Ouray. This is a tough long
downhill stretch where you can easily blow the quads. I ran probably 90% of it
meeting up with Betsy Kalmeyer once more before passing her as we approached the
turn off for the trail through Box Canyon tunnel, through the campground and on
to the aid station.
It was
around 7.30pm and I was in great spirits having made Ouray in daylight and
still 30 mins or so up on 2010 splits. As I approached the CP, I noticed Rebekah
and Gavin calling out. They quickly ushered me to a chair and had everything
prepared. I hastily changed socks and scoffed some food. A few photos and I was
out of there, the CP chief asking if I had a pacer as I left. This was the
first CP where runners could pick their pacer up. I was leaving alone despite
Gavin’s offer to pace. I wanted the additional challenge of being out there
alone and really experiencing the trail and night that was soon to come. Ouray
was still buzzing with tourists as I made my way through the streets and out of
town. The way was reasonably well marked at each intersection and soon I was
back on trails heading for the Bear Creek trail section. But first a rather
convoluted few kms of undulating single track that was tough mentally. I
followed another runner who had his son pacing him. He was giving updates on
the Tour de France which was neat as I had been following it closely in the
days preceding the race.
I managed
to reach the trailhead at Bear creek after crossing the million dollar Highway
550, still with some daylight to get to the top of the slate slewn climb of 13
switchbacks. One of the more pivotal points of the race and a move onto the
second half of the run so to speak. I took some time to connect my USB battery
pack to my dying Fenix beforehand. Pulling on the poles I made quick progress
up the tinkling trail reaching the top on dusk. The next few hours I proceeded
to pass several runners with their pacers, just as I had done in 2010, along
this section. The trail cut out along the edge of the cliff above Bear creek
was where I first switched on my headlamp. Never a big fan of the initial
switch from natural twilight to the artificial light cocoon.
Several
creek crossings later and a long gradual climb through the forest that hugged
the pass up to Engineers I reached the CP. The smoke from their welcoming fire
could be smelt well before the aid station came into view. There were several
runners gathered there in varying degrees of distress. It was cold now so I put
my jacket on and sat down once again to get some soup into me. It was too
comfortable however and I soon arose from my seat and checked out back into the
night.
The trail
was lit up for the first 50 metres or so to guide us toward the rutted track
across the vast meadow that would lead us up to Govenor’s Pass. The light on
top of the pass can be seen literally from the previous aid station. I stopped
halfway across the valley to get my beanie and gloves out, I had stupidly
neglected to have them ready whilst at the aid station. A runner and her pacer
passed by, I soon caught back up and passed them. Getting some mojo happening
with the poles I was soon at the top of Govenor’s looking back down the valley
at the snake of lights behind me. Each in the midst of their own battles. The wind
was blowing hard at the top and I knew I had to keep moving briskly and get on
the road and onto the long downhill kms into Grouse Gulch.
A series of
long switchbacks with distant voices to be heard along the way, I studied every
intersection making sure I stayed on the right course knowing several runners
get it wrong here every year. Before long I could see the aid station off to
the right several kms away still. It seemed to take an eternity to finally
arrive there. The aid station is well equipped and another popular pick up your
pacer checkpoint. I took note of the trail up off the road to the left that
takes you up towards Handies on my way in. Another hot drink and replenish of
soft flasks and I was soon out again. The volunteer impressed upon realising I had
no pacer. Funny I thought to myself, wondering how many runners actually run
this thing solo? And if we all ran pacerless, could we fit a few more runners
into the race? I was feeling replenished again and looking forward to the
longest climb of the course across the American basin and up to the highest
point atop Handie’s Peak and 14,064 ft (4320m).
The initial
few swithcbacks went by harmlessly as I got back into the rhythm of tapping
away on my poles. The lights from the CP can be seen slowly disappearing below
the further I climbed. I recalled how after picking up a pacer in 2010 at
Grouse how I struggled to get going here. This time I was fitter and more
acclimated I told myself anyway. J The next few hours proceeded to
pass by quickly as I climbed and climbed every now and again turning around to
catch a few lights from runners behind. It got colder and windier the higher I
got not to mention the drop in available oxygen.
However I
was determined to push though this section and get on to the second part of the
course proper. This would require moving as briskly as possible in the
remaining darkness of night.
I recalled
how I summited Handies at dawn in 2010, taking some time out to marvel at the
vast 360 degree spectacle of the San Juans high country. This year I was
approaching the summit in the wee darkest hours just before dawn. I got real
cold and the wind was crazy. As I rolled over the final pitch onto the peak I
noticed a faint light on the horizon signalling the approaching sunrise. I
looked at the sky and took a moment to appreciate how close I felt to the
abundance of pin holes (stars J) in the black sky. A couple of minutes only
but so worth it and soon I was heading off for the descent.
The actual
descent off Handies is treacherous at the best of times but given how dry it
was this year I would liken the footing to skating on ball bearings at a 45
degrees angle. It was crazy slippery under foot but I made good progress as I
pulled away from a runner and his pacer who were not far behind.
Making good
use of my extra set of pegs (my trekking poles) I negotiated the treacherous
singletrack off Handies bottoming out in the American Basin right on dawn. Time
check had me a good hour up on splits and I was delighted with how I ran
through the night passing several runners and their pacers.
The alpine meadows
soon disappear as I descended onto single-track down the Grizzly Gulch Lakes
trail and into the Burrows aid station. The reception as I crossed the bridge
before the checkpoint was brilliant. An appropriately Irish themed checkpoint
with shamrocks and tricolours, I was greeted by a very enthusiastic young lady
with a warm hug. My mood was already buoyant but now I was ready to charge down
the road to Sherman, another 6.5kms or so and one of the bigger checkpoints. I
didn’t linger at Burrows figuring I would have some breakfast at Shermans.
And so off
I trotted, down the winding road. This is where it went pear shaped. As I ran
around one of the main corners I missed the course markers point to the single-track
that would lead down through the forest to Sherman. There was a truck parked
there so that didn’t help. Upshot I proceeded for a good 3kms down the road
until it twigged that something was not quite right. I opened up my app with
the course on my phone only to realise my error. I was fuming with myself, damn
all that good work through the night given away so pointlessly. As I turned and
started running back up the hill a car pulled over. An aid station volunteer
jumped out and pointed out my error. She was a lovely lady and continued to run
up the road with me and then ahead to give me an idea of where I need to get
back on track. I lost a good 30 minutes but figured thems the breaks when you
run alone without the extra set of eyes of a pacer. Suck it up and get back
into your zone.
I
eventually wandered into the Sherman CP and set about quickly replenishing my
supplies. The very same volunteer tended to my every need and reassured me I
would get back on track. I downed some burrito while she gave my aching
shoulders a massage, I could have stayed there a lot longer but got up. As I
did I noticed Drew from the running store in Durango set off before me. He must
have passed me whilst I was lost down the road. I met him whilst in Durango
shopping the days leading up to the race, a mate of Andy’s who was on his 5th
HR looking for veteran status. I
followed him out but was munching on a very dry burrito trying not to choke so
I dropped back and hiked instead.
The trail
up the water catchment up to Pole creek was stunning in the early morning but
tough going. There is no real big ascent but it just keeps biting a relentless
upward struggle up the valley. With a quick 4 minute turnaround at Sherman
trying to regain lost time I was now struggling to keep Drew within eyeshot. I
was determined to catch him figuring the company would pull me along quicker
and help with the infrequent trail markers through this section. I soon caught
Drew and we chatted for a bit. He was moving well, I struggled to match him. We
shared the next few kms taking turns leading the way. At one point we had to
wade waist deep though a beaver pond which I didn’t recall from before?
Apparently the course was altered here slightly and this was the correct way
through. Wet shoes are a constant at HR, so it was no big surprise. In fact the
trail here was very damp under foot.
Finally we
pulled into Pole Creek as the sun started biting on the second day. I hadn’t
taken the time to reapply sunscreen at Sherman so was delighted to see the
packed in CP in fact had a large container of it. The volunteers here were
great, as usual offering encouragement and geeing us up.
We left
together figuring as a team we would make better progress. The last few
sections of this course are up high until the drop to Maggies. There were
patches of snow to negotiate as well as scary off camber single-track that was
ridiculously dry and crazy dangerous should one lose footing.
The wind got
crazier as we crested the final climb before the descent into Maggie. I was procrastinating
whether to stop several times and tend to some chafing issues when I started to
lose ground on Drew. So I decided to pull off trail and spend a few minutes
re-lubing. There were far too many hours of running left not to be proactive.
Alone again
now I was happy to settle back into my own rhythm and negotiate the crazy
descent into Maggie. Quads are pretty fried at this stage so it’s best to not
brake at all and roll the descent. Trouble with that is the gradient and dry
ball bearing terrain doesn’t allow a no brake type freefall. We were warned
about sheep dogs on this side of Maggie as thousands of sheep had been loaded
onto the land days before race day. One lady was attacked the week before the
race. Luckily the farmer managed to get all of the sheep to the other side of
the valley as we came through and they were no issues.
It was hot
in the valley at the Maggie CP, and I needed to get out of there quickly. There
were runners in all kinds of distress and that was a bad scene to be around. I
downed a gel and set off on yet another massive climb up towards Buffalo Boy
ridge. 4 mins only at the CP.
Looking at
time I was still up on 2010 splits and felt reasonably good. This next section
to Green Mtn is up high and can be brutal if the weather turns, luckily apart
from a galing wind it was fine. I could spot Drew off in the distance every now
and gain as we climbed Green but I wasn’t making ground on him. The benched
trails nearing the summit were hairy again with very loose footing and I leaned
on my poles for balance numerous times, thankful for the extra balance. I topped
out on Buffalo Ridge, another peak bagged, 2 more to go from the 13 in total.
I ran hard
down the saddle at Stony Pass before steeling myself for the Green Mtn ascent.
The views across Rocky Gulch were superb. The final steep ascent toward the
snow cornice atop Green was brutal. The wind was howling as I hit the summit,
once more above 13,000ft. No time to hang around I set off for the long descent
into Cunningham. I was trying to recall this descent from my 2010 run picturing
a steady steep descent straight down the mountain into the aid station. However
as I picked my way across the slopes of Green and started out on the descent I
soon realised it took a long time, as the footing again was crazy dry and
slippery. My quads were screaming at me by this stage, I don’t care what amount
of downhill training you subject them to in the months prior they are gonna let
you know what you are doing to them is not natural.
It was bloody
hot now as a few day trekkers passed by on their ascent mentioning I was
halfway down. Really this is crazy, the descent traversing the side of the
mountain forever before a sharp right hander finally down the last hill onto
the road. I had been taking it real easy on this descent, just as well there
were a few runners who came a cropper on it.
Then just
as I hit the road I heard a voice yell out my name. I was slightly delusional
and began to think I recognised it. Then up in the distance a figure came
toward me waving an Aussie flag. It was my partner Sinead, crazily yelling and
running towards me. I wiped my eyes disbelieving it was her. We had organised
for her to fly in and meet me at the finish line, however Gavin and Rebekah had
cleverly offered her a ride to Cunningham, straight after getting off the steam
train from Durango. A master stroke, I was rapt to see her so soon. We hugged
and then made our way into the aid station where Gav and Bec went into action
like well-oiled machines, getting me fed and out of there in 4 minutes. I was
super amped now with ‘only’ 9 miles to go and one massive climb in the way.
I stomped
my way out the CP, forded the stream and made for the switchbacks up Dive’s
Giant. Looking back occasionally I could still see my crew waving me on. The
first few climbs passed by pretty furiously as the adrenaline of seeing my
partner kicked in. It didn’t last however and I was soon struggling on the
final false peaks up towards the summit. This climb is particularly brutal
because of the distance into the race and the fact that you can never see the
true summit for a long time. But once on top then it is all downhill back to
Silverton and that bloody rock J
Again at the
top a few day trekkers came past in the opposite direction, looking pretty
buggered to be honest, it’s a solid climb from the other side of the pass too.
And so the final descent began. I looked
at my watch and knew barring a fall I was looking at a faster finish time than
2010. The first few kms were again very dry and slick under foot and I was
taking it real easy, no stuffing it up now so close to the finish. The trail
levelled out a bit more as I re-joined familiar trail from our recce runs. Past
the old disused mine and the onto the final jeep road. At one point I stopped
as I felt I was descending way too many switchbacks, funny how the mind plays
tricks despite having covered this section only days before. I was wary after
my stuff up at Sherman.
4kms to go
at Arastra Gulch and past the familiar old house. I was struggling though as I
had stopped eating and was now bonking slightly. Bugger, why didn’t I grab an
extra gel or two at Cunningham? I was passed in the final few kms which annoyed
me somewhat, so tried to pick it up. It gets real blurry now as the final few
kms seemed to take forever compared to our recce runs (of course it does with
160km and 10k of vert in the legs!) Finally I spotted the township of Silverton
though the trees, my heart jumped with joy. I was nearly there, the pain would
soon stop and so would I.
Crossing
the bridge into town I looked back and saw a runner with his pacer making
ground on me. Damn do I have to race it in now, c’mon. Sinead appeared again at
the intersection, flag in hand. I was delighted to run the last few hundred
metres with her, assuring her we were not to be caught by the guys behind. Ah
ever the competitor, I couldn’t let another place slip.
And so as
low key as it had stated 36hr and 36 minutes earlier I kissed the rock and
shook Dale’s hand. It was a beautiful evening and I was so relieved to be
finished and delighted with my run.
I thanked
my crew and walked into the gym to sit down and take it in. Gav and Bec
offering food straight away, always looking after their runner to the end and
beyond. Thanks guys, you really helped me achieve that time. I was pretty
buggered but so happy to be done. What a run, this is most certainly the
toughest race I have ever done and you need to be in the form of your life to
do it justice or it will find you out.



1 Comments:
Great report Spud - best of luck with this year's assault.
Post a Comment
<< Home