Great North Walk 100, 2011 Race Report

It’s a good sign for the future of ultra running in this country when an event as tough as this one sells out in short time. This is the big one on the calendar for many with some even targeting it as their key miler of the year. Gone are the days when only a handful of runners would even contemplate taking this monster on, now literally everyman and his dog is out there training on it in the months preceding.
That however doesn’t take away from the brutality this course offers up every year. And those who enter unprepared usually succumb to the high attrition rate that goes hand in hand with this one.
After a very pleasing course PB at Glasshouse 9 weeks earlier I was pumped to have a go at bettering my age group record (40-49) of 26.29 set 2 years ago. But with a much deeper pool of quick runners this year I knew I had my work cut out for me.
Weather plays a big part in this race with the change of seasons usually catching a number of runners out. This year we would be treated to possibly the best conditions in the 6 years I’ve run it. It was still warm but not nearly as soul destroying as previous years.
I was going to try a couple of different things this year. Firstly I had enlisted the help of a good mate who would crew for me. Looking at my CP times from my PB year where I had no crew, my total down time was simply too long. I could easily shave 20-25 minutes off my time with crew.
Secondly I was taking a different nutritional approach opting for a liquid fuel strategy all the way. I had been training with Hammer Perpetuem and used it before but not as a sole fuel source. This enabled easy transitions at the checkpoints with my crew only having to fill my water bladder and switch (pre-dosed and mixed) bottles of Perp. In the meantime I would grab a few pieces of fruit. Too easy!
Race Day:
Start to CP1: Dave got us underway in his usual unassuming manner bang on 6am. We left the quiet streets of Teralba and made our way out of town direction Wakefield. I am not a huge fan of the first 6kms or so of bitumen to the trackhead and usually just amble along near the front of the pack. This year there were two packs and I was in the second with the first made up of 100kers and a few 100 milers flying off down the road.
I quickly settled into my fuelling plan with sips of Perp every 20mins, running with a few regulars, Gordi and Darrel for aways. Soon enough we were forging our way upwards across the Sugarloaf, a beautiful piece of trail with the occasional vista off to the valley below on either side.
I had prepared splits for a sub 26hr finish; let’s see how we’d go. The first section is the toughest in my opinion and speaking with Darrel he also agreed. With a diverse mixture of running surfaces, elevation gain and a cracking albeit energy sapping rainforest section it certainly can take a lot out of you and some restraint is required here, a long way to go. I hit the checkpoint a few minutes up on splits. CP time 2 mins.
CP1 – CP2:
I left the CP full of energy despite doing it tough at times on the first leg. I was chasing after Darrel who had got the jump on me. Maggot was also just in front. Not much to say about this section apart from the fact that I didn’t (couldn’t) reel in either of my targets and by the time I hit Congewai Rd I felt like I was all alone with not a soul in sight. It was still and quite warm but I was determined to run most of the way to the school with the occasional walk to break it up. I carried 3 ltrs of water from the start to CP1 and went with about 2.5ltrs to CP2, just as well as I needed it.
On the final bend into the school I saw Shona and then Darrel who was running very strongly, I wished him well figuring he had a good 15mins on me. Ian soon appeared having just left the school. Still a good 10 mins up on splits coming into the CP. Dave grabbed my pack refilled and switched bottles. Weigh in and gear check and 4 mins later I was out.
CP2-CP3:
On the road out of the school a stream of runners appeared, Gordi with camera crew in car tagging along, such a rock star our Gord. Nikolay, Noel and Andy all close. I need to shake a leg to keep my gap on them. As I entered the farm and headed toward the base of the climb up to the communication tower I struggled some. It’s always a tough time of the day here, so I backed off the pace and kept doing the simple things, looking after my nutrition and checking on other things like feet, posture etc.
Soon enough I was feeling better and after a slowish ascent was glad to open up into a trot again along Cabans Rd. It was getting more humid now but a slight breeze on the higher slopes of the ridge was most welcome. The descent into Watagan Valley was great fun. I hammered down the switchbacks totally enjoying the ride. At the creek I headed left for the usual 4-wheel drive crossing only to realise there is now a boardwalk across the more direct route. I will know better next time.
As I climbed up the grassy paddock to the road my mate Dave appeared having driven down. He was parked where the old unmanned water stop used to be and offered me a cold drink from the esky. I of course had to refuse as this would be breaking the rules of no outside assistance and so after a quick g’day headed straight for the climb out.
The weather started to turn here with some distant grumblings of thunder. I wished for it to rain to cool me down. This climb was not getting any easier and I welcomed the precipitation when it finally did arrive, and boy how it came down, perfect timing! The smell of the forest above now enveloped me and for a brief moment I was in trail heaven. This was what it’s all about, forget the splits, competition etc, put it aside for a moment and embrace the real reason we do this trail running thing. I stopped briefly at the water before heading off on the long mostly downhill trail to the Basin.
Still there were no other runners in sight until the turn off at the Basin. First runner was Shona and then Chris Turnbull, with Darrel next. I still had a fair ways to go to the CP and so they had a good gap on me. I passed Dave Coombs too who was now travelling UTMB style with makeshift walking sticks. ITB blown but he was still in good spirits.
Dave Waugh appeared shortly before I arrived on his way out obviously not having a good day.
Dave turned me around quickly and with a 4 min stop I was out of the vortex known as the Basin.
CP3-CP4:
Leaving the Basin is always a good spot to gauge the gap on others and try to get to the turn off ahead of your chasers. I was greeted by a very strong looking peloton of runners including Noel, Meredith with Jess not far behind and Andy, Gordi and Nikolay as I left. Not long before the turn off where the tree is down Dan B appeared also looking strong. It was going to get very interesting in the back half. I was feeling good and kind of relieved to be finally getting out of the Basin. The climb out wasn’t overly taxing as the cooler afternoon temps helped take the edge off. I made good work of the long descent to Cedar Brush Trackhead and as I hit the bitumen saw Dave Waugh up ahead. We ran together for a stretch catching up but I knew he was doing it tough with illness the week leading up to the race his undoing. He would end up pulling out at Yarramalong. I made it into the school just on dusk which was nice. I was way ahead of splits at this stage. A final weigh in (I was steady all day) and quickish stop to grab some fruit and fuel change.
CP time – 6mins
CP4-CP5:
As I left Noel arrived and was pumped to just crack sub 14 for the 103kms. No sign of anyone else as I turned up Bumble Hill Rd. There was a gathering at the pub giving heaps of encouragement to runners which was neat. Headlamp on and soon I was on the single track heading up Bumble Hill. No pacer just me and my cocooned envelope of light. Just the way I liked it. I held off donning the headphones opting to enjoy the night time sounds of the bush. Plenty of mud about made for tricky footing in places. Before long I popped out in Hidden Valley after a good stretch along Ourimbah Creek. One more climb before Somersby and still no one in sight. Then as I approached Dog Trap Rd, I see a light flicker through the mist from behind, gaining on me rapidly. As I turn onto Wiseman’s Ferry Rd, Ian G pulled up alongside me saying he had taken a wrong turn further back. We pulled into Somersby School together, just after midnight. I looked for Dave but he was nowhere to be seen! Diane offered to refill my bladder and I grabbed a coffee some gels and left. No Perpetuem for this leg, I would have to go with gels to Mooney, no probs a short leg anyhow.
CP time- 3mins
CP5-CP5:
This time as I left the CP Meredith rolled in having cut the gap on me. I ran the whole way to the trackhead trying to keep a gap, and before long caught up to Chris. He was still moving well and we would end up running all the way to Mooney together. Not long before the dam at Mooney Creek the inevitable happened and Meredith with pacer Mick flew by moving very well. I tried to match their pace and hung on for a bit but alas they were too strong and soon enough disappeared into the night. We still made good progress across the creek and up the final 5kms to the CP where we were informed that we needed to make the quarry near Patonga by 6am or else we may need to stop as there was a helicopter dropping off logs in the area. I looked at my watch and figured it would be touch and go timing wise. I got up and left. Ian G was also at this CP.
CP time – 5 mins
CP6 - Finish
As I left I turned to see if Chris was coming but he was still hanging around. I was now on a mission to beat the helicopter. I ran hard to the bridge. Ian arrived blasting his Ayup all over me and casting a shadow in front of me. I let him pass, didn’t want to trip over and stuff my wrist up again.
I looked back as I crossed the bridge - no one in sight. Climbed well on the other side and settled into a good trot with the headphones on. I was still harbouring thoughts of maybe picking up some shrapnel as long as I kept moving well.
Nutritionally I was rapt with how I was fuelling up through the night. Not normally a good time for stuffing your stomach full of calories the Perp was going down every 20 mins no worries. I was in a happy place, hurting but loving every minute of it, knowing that a big PB was on barring a disaster and it would be daylight soon. I skipped down to the creek at Myron brook and clambered back out onto the fire trail and the unmanned water stop. It was now bright enough to easily pick up the trail and try to increase my speed. Somewhere about 10kms from the end, Jess Baker and pacer came flying by, took me by surprise actually as I thought I was moving quite well. She was running every hill strongly, very impressive. Again I tried to chase but the legs were not cooperating. I had no idea where I was in the field now but figured if I could place in the top ten given the quality of the field I’d be happy with that.
I was still racing time trying to get past the quarry before 6am dreading having to stop for 5 minutes, who knows who else was lurking behind. I figured Chris must be back there somewhere.
It’s a long stretch here that took forever to cover it seemed and I was 15 mins late getting to the quarry. However there was no one about. I saw some signs warning of helicopter activity in the area and pieces of tape across trails but to my relief I was not stopped.
As I hit Patonga Drive I looked at my watch and calculated I could finish before 7.30am or sub 25.30. A couple of guys on bikes near Warrah Trig asked me about the helicopter, and wondered how I had made it through. I didn’t have time to chat though the end was now almost within sight.
I ran like crazy down the final rock hopping trail to the bottom and finally touched the golden sand of Patonga Beach. I could hear the cowbell in the distance figuring someone had finished just in front of me. (Turned out to be Jess, so I ended up closing the gap to one minute but ran out of trail)
This is one of the most magical finishes of any 100 miler I have run. There’s no real hoopla just and understated finish to an epic journey, I love the contrast. I touched the pole to a warm applause in 25.21, smashing 68 mins off my PB and finishing in 10th place. Very pleased with that!
Upon reflection I would put this down as one of my best runs to date. Granted conditions this year were favourable but there were a number of things that really fell into place this year. Crew and nutrition was a big plus and I never really suffered any energy lows which was encouraging. I ran without a pacer (as this is how I prefer to run) however figure next year if I am to have a crack at sub 24hrs and the coveted gold medal, I could do with one to push me over the final 75kms. I didn’t necessarily train any harder this year compared to previous ones, maybe marginally, but I believe as I get older I am not necessarily getting any faster but becoming more stubborn and not hiking hills as much which is helping me cover the 100 mile distance more quickly.
Cracking race, love every minute of it, it challenges you in so many ways. I‘d like to try and emulate the great Andy Jones Wilkins in the US who regularly finishes in the top ten at the Western States, and do so here at the GNW. Tough ask with the quality of runners growing each year but a neat challenge.
Congrats to Andrew Vize and Meredith on their wins and new CRs. Awesome and inspiring running indeed.
Thanks to Dave Byrnes and the Trotters for allowing us to play on the GNW again this year, superbly run event. And lastly thanks to my crew Dave Walker, cheers buddy!
Stats:
Perpetuem - Lots, pre measured scoops based on 270 cals/hr, about 18 serving sizes.
Water – Plenty, never ran out always washed Perp and gels down with frequent sips.
Fruit – 5 bananas, water melon and orange quarters.
Coffee – 2 cups
Hammer Gels – about 6
Chafing – lots
Fun – stacks...giddyup!


5 Comments:
Great stuff Spud - an awesome run mate. What's exciting though is to think how many more years we can all have a crack at this race. The desire just keeps on pushing. (Dan)
Love your report Spud and glad there is hope mor us as we get older to run smarter!
Cheers
Marcus
Another excellent run Spud and maintaining your consistent streak of finishes at GNW. Undoubtedly our most consistent performer and a much deserved PB. Thanks for sharing your race with us.
Cracking run Spud. You've got two settings, off and on. 25 hours 'on' is obviously the way to go :) Great read too.
Great report Spud, sounds like it all went to plan. I was in awe of everyone as I watched them finish at Patonga. Looking forward to volunteering this year and having a crack a the 100km the year after.
Post a Comment
<< Home