Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Glasshouse Mountains 100 mile Trail Race Report

My obsession with this race began a year ago. Sure I’d heard all about it in previous years but always figured this one was for the lunatics out there. It began with reading of race reports, tales of accomplishment, blood sweat and DNF tears and then progressed to main mission status late last year.

However, it wasn’t until I had finished the Rooftop run, Bogong to Hotham (65km) in early January that I felt confident of making a decent attempt this year. The plan was to build up to it all year with a good solid base of weekly training miles and then use several key ultra races as “long training runs”

The “plan” was coming along wonderfully with a good PB at 6FT in March followed by a solid, evenly paced 50km at Canberra in April.
The next stop was the Fatass Poor Man’s Comrades (96km) in June, where I ran well to finish 3rd in 9:17. In July I headed up to the Gold Coast for the National 100km Road Championship at Runaway Bay. A good run there too with a 9:36 finish for 7th place.
August brought up one of my favourite runs of the year, the 12 Foot Track (90km) where I was rapt to finish first place in 11:26.

In between I was running between 100-120km per week and doing as much speed work as I could (although truth was that was not a whole lot). The Striders 10km series and the occasional CR 5km challenge helping out in that department.

So, I was fairly confident of giving GH a good shot. I figured I could give sub 24hr a shake, although I must confess to some considerable deliberation, as I hadn’t run over 100km and didn’t know what to expect at 120-130km into a 100 miler. Still better make an honest effort at your debut I figured.


The week prior to the race my whole family (Sue and my 3 girls) came down with a bad flu. In fact I have never seen my poor wife so sick. So whilst playing Mr Mum I was desperate not to catch anything, so much so I resorted to wearing a handkerchief over my nose and mouth in an effort to avoid catching the bug. Inevitably however, I did come down with a respiratory infection and could hardly speak 5 days out from race day, I couldn’t believe it! A trip to the doctors and a course of antibiotics cleared me up good but on the Thursday I flew up to Brisbane I felt terrible, headache all day and just very tired.

I was sharing accommodation with Andrew Hewat and Tim Turner for the weekend and local lad Dave McKinnon had graciously offered to drive us around the course in the afternoon to familiarise ourselves with the task at hand. Together with Sean Greenhill, we all piled into the back of Dave’s coupe. A long day in the car but boy was it worth it.
Getting to see the various trail heads, CPs, infamous sections like the powerlines and a good look at the Eastern section which would be run at night.
I really appreciated the opportunity to finally get a good idea of what we were about to embark on.

I had originally hoped for a pacer (more for navigational help than anything else) but as it turned out I would have to do it alone. I would have to make do with drop bags too, as I had no crew.

The following day we spent relaxing and hydrating. We did manage a short 8km run from CP9 out towards 10 return. I was feeling a whole lot better on the Friday (taking copious amounts of paracetamol all day).

Registration and the pasta party that evening plus the chance to meet race director Ian Javes at last. There was a big turn out with 24 runners in the 100miler with several family and crew members there too. Ian and Bill Thompson went over the course details once more and we were ready for the journey the following morning.

Race day dawned with predictions of 28-29C in the Sunshine Coast hinterland.
Not as hot as some years but we would still feel it on the more open forestry trails in the middle of the day. The gathering of 100-mile runners was a sight to behold. Not too much nervous energy, just the usual last minute lube ups, lashings of suncream, vaso and bodyglide for the long day ahead. The usual pre race banter, all good. I have to admit to being a bit anxious. This was it, nothing more to do but run the bloody thing. It’s a weird sense of relief getting to this stage, all the pre-race angst behind you, all you got to do now is run 100 miles!

So bang on 5:30am we were off on our adventure. The pace was very relaxed and almost straight away a group had formed at the front, consisting of about 5-6 runners, pulling away from us. We ambled along casually making our first trip over Hamburger Hill. I recall commenting to Sean and Hermie that it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. That naïve comment would come back to haunt me later.

I had taken Rodney’s splits from his well-paced run last year, as a guide for sub 24hrs,
hoping I could hold it together in the back half like he did.

The sun was rising and signs were already there that it was going to be hot. We ran past base (CP2) and out along a bike path before making our return trip up Mt Beerburrum, which consisted of quite a steep path leading to the top. A few of the front-runners came blazing past as we trudged to the top. A quick view through the early morning haze and back down we went. I was running with Sean and Kelvin at this point. We ran back through base CP2 and set off for CP3.A nice run along open fire trail, still at a very relaxed pace.

Gear wise I decided to stick with my trusty old Coolrunning tritop for the day with a spare bike top available for the night sections in my drop bag at CP2. I also wore a singlet for the first couple of hours. I used my 2ltr Camelbak Lobo with the option of handheld bottles for the loops at CP8 during the hottest part of the day. I included a thermal in my drop bag at CP7, should it get cold later on. I remembered how cool it got at the pasta party once the sun went down.

Arriving at CP3 I took my singlet off and shoved it into my pack. It was already starting to warm up. The trail to CP4 takes us around Tunbubudla (the twins) wonderful rolling trails through the pine forests. The checkpoint is set up at the Woodford-Beerburrum Rd. I don’t recall stopping here for too long, if at all. I was munching away on donuts up till now so only needed water. I was already 10 minutes or so ahead of Hermie’s 24hr splits and feeling great. The next section from 4 to 5 involves more technical trail than thus far but nothing too debilitating. Rolled into CP5 at 8:35am just over 3hrs of running. I quickly refilled my pack and ate a tin of creamed rice before heading off for the infamous goat track.


This 4.5km section between 5 and 6 is notorious amongst the trail running circles up here and I had heard quite a bit about it. I had been running with Sean up to now but pulled away from him on the goat track. I wasn’t finding it as bad as I’d imagined. True, it’s a crappy eroded trail full of gullies offering some treacherous footing but I was content to run the downs and power walk the ups. It was along here that Whippet came flying past. He was killing it and mentioned he was putting in some distance now expecting to slow down later. I’ve never seen someone fly along crappy trail like he did! Hennessy’s Hill leading back up into 6 was tough.


Arriving at 6, I was pleased to realise it had taken me 49 minutes to cover the last section. I again ate a tin of creamed rice from my drop bag, knowing full well that from 6-8 was a long slog. I was drinking well and dropping a GU every so often too, just to keep the electrolyte levels topped up.

I was running alone now and determined to get all the next section along the “Powerlines” out of the way as soon as possible before the hottest part of the day. It was now 11:30am. The trail from 6 back to the Woodford-Beerberrum Rd was quite runnable, certainly a lot better than 5-6. As I approached the intersection I recalled our reconnaissance drive a few days prior. I remember looking out over the powerlines and thinking, that’s not so bad. I had figured it would be a lot longer for some reason. I guess preparing yourself mentally for the worst, with images of endless kms of shit trail really does help. I passed Roger Guard and Kelvin at the top of the first descent, Kelvin dropping the bite off his Camelbak as we neared the drop. They ushered me on as I passed. The trail was very dry and sandy through the rollercoaster ride of peaks and troughs. This actually helped with cushioning the blow allowing for a more comfortable ride down some of the steeper pinches. It wasn’t long before I passed Adam Barron along here, who was “holding back” A quick chat and we went our separate paths. The sun was now making itself known, the zipper on my tritop opened fully allowing for some added ventilation.

When I reached the top of the ridgeline signalling the end of the powerlines section I couldn’t believe it was already finished! Again not so bad, was I setting myself up for a rather ugly back half? I didn’t know yet but felt great and decided to just go with the flow.

The trail now turns right out of the national park and then rejoins a path through some native forest. It was good running on a wide-open fire trail down to CP8 passing some farmland along the way. Again I was running pretty strongly here but it felt like an eternity to the checkpoint.

It was around 12:10pm when I arrived at 8, a big set up at the checkpoint for the 2 loops. My weight upon arrival was 69kgs, excellent same as that morning.

The plan now was to ditch the Camelbak for the 2 loops 8a and 8b. Dave McKinnon was there crewing for both Tim and Andrew. He asked if I needed anything so I got him to fill both bottles and apply some suncream to my arms. I also applied more suncream to my face, which in hindsight was not a smart move. I had one handheld bottle with a strap and the other was just a powerade bottle (no strap). I quickly left for 8a only to feel the damn bottle sliding all over the place due to my greasy hands. I promptly drank the contents of the powerade bottle and shoved the empty bottle in the back pocket of my tritop. That was better.

The 8a loop was a nice change scenery wise with some welcome shaded running in the first half along an old rail bed, the forest quickly changing to a lusher rainforest green, very pretty. Adam Barron who had caught up to me at 8 and left earlier was now in sight just ahead. I passed once more and mentioned that he might see me again later.
It was quite lonely out there after that, no one in sight until the climb back into 8.
I was chugging away on my water bottle but started to have some dark moments along that last climb back to 8. This last ascent is very exposed and it was hot. The first loop (10.8km) took me 84mins to complete.

Back at 8 I drank a full bottle of water, got Dave to fill my handheld with Gatorade, grabbed a bag of S&V chips from my drop bag and was out onto the shorter 8b loop (8km). This time I only carried the one bottle but ended up finishing it (750ml) just before the hill back into 8. The 8b loop proved to be a lot easier than its predecessor with some relatively flat running, taking me just over an hour. I did struggle though and walked a fair bit. Not long before the trail rejoins the inward section of 8a, I passed Nic Maloney, apparently his blistering start earlier in the day was now taking its toll.
Brendan (Virtual Runner) was just turning off at the mango tree on his first loop as I walked up the hill back to 8.

At the checkpoint, Dave poured some cool water over my head, very refreshing. RMC was there sitting down regrouping before he headed out on his 8b loop looking rather relaxed. We said g’day and I grabbed my camelbak and took off on the long 12km stretch to 7. Just before I left I weighed myself once more, still 69kgs, good. It was 1:15pm and I still had some good daylight running ahead. My original plan was to get to 7 where I had packed my lights and then see if I could make it to CP6 before dark.

Shortly after leaving 8, I caught up with Darlo who was one of the early front-runners and introduced myself. He informed me that we were in 4th and 5th spot respectively and that Dave, Ian and Paul were ahead. So, it had transpired that I had managed to reel in most of the front-runners who had started off at a faster pace.

Darlo and I were both running at the same pace, and so we stayed together. It worked well as we pulled each other along nicely along the winding logging trails, occasionally walking to break it up, saving some much needed energy for later. When we arrived at CP7 at 2:15pm I recall there was quite a few people milling about at the checkpoint.

David Waugh (eventual winner) was just coming off the 7 loop and looking too comfortable. I remember him saying it was nice to be past the halfway point. The 7 loop would bring up 86km.

The wonderful volunteers at CP7 had quite a menu and we were promptly asked what we would like upon arrival. I took a look at their “menu” and asked where the advertised “topless waiter” was. A rather follically challenged guy pointing to his head assuring me there would be no female topless waiter. We sat down and had the most delicious plate of vegetables, drizzled in salt of course. Excellent tucker!
Replenished the supplies and then headed off to the west on the 7 loop.

The loop at 7 is an 11.8k winding trail taking us through some more pine plantations and then past a creek where a few blokes were out fishing. Good flat running here making it rather pleasant. The trail did go on and on though. Darlo and I remained together with Roger Guard not that far behind. The final stretch felt particularly long, we were expecting to see the checkpoint at the top of every rise on that long straight stretch back to 7.

Once back at 7 and 86km down, I decided to change my socks for the second half. I spoke briefly with Adrian Pearce and Karen Weirsma who were there helping out. Adrian filled my pack as I applied more vaseline to my feet. It was good to have some support. I ate another tin of creamed rice and grabbed my lights before leaving for 6. I had spent 15 mins at CP7 and 10hrs 35 mins had elapsed, it was now 4:05pm. I was way ahead of the original sub 24hr splits from Hermie’s run last year, in fact over an hour ahead. I was now thinking about not only making it to 6 but possibly to 5 before dark.

I left 7 alone, leaving Darlo and Roger Guard at the checkpoint. Thankfully the heat was starting to dissipate and my energy levels began to rise. After crossing Beerburrum-Woodford Rd once more, passing more pine plantations a sharp right is taken heading east along a shaded trail for a few km to 6.

The good folk at checkpoint 6 informed me that Paul was doing it tough just ahead of me and was worried he might not make it back to 5 to pick up his lights before dark. I retrieved my thermal from my drop bag and put it on figuring it would be getting a lot cooler soon. The guys at the checkpoint joked as I was leaving, mentioning a “small” hill just ahead. True enough just up ahead, a series of rolling hills on wide dirt trail following the powerlines north. It was now just after 5pm and light was fading fast. It was along here that I had a “Zen” moment. The sun was setting to the west while just off to the northeast Mt Beerwah lit up. A comfortably numb feeling came over me as I floated up and down the rolling hills almost caressing them. I know, sounds poxy, but that’s how I felt!

A couple of kms later and my Zen moment was over, a sharp right turn and what followed was the shittiest eroded trail all the way back to 5. No one told me about this! I was thankful however, to get this technical stuff out of the way in the fast fading light, figuring this would take forever in the dark. As I approached 5, I spotted Paul just ahead. I caught up and we ran into 5 together.

I found my drop bag and lights and grabbed some pumpkin soup from the volunteer, heavenly, just what the body needed, some hot food as night approached.
I also had a coffee here as we sat for a little while. I was thrilled to have made it this far (102.5km) by daylight. We put our headlights on and left for 1a. (6:15pm)
Paul and I ran down the bitumen road, both our lights working well together. We turned right off the road and back onto dirt trail. Good flat running, it would seem most of the technical stuff was now behind us. We crossed Gympie Rd and continued heading east to CP1a. The trail was well marked with white flagging tape in the trees.

At 1a(109.6km) I drank another cup of coffee and ate a piece of cake. I asked how far ahead Ian and Dave were, (just out of interest, it wasn’t like I was going to catch them). I turned around and Paul had already left heading up towards Hamburger Hill. I quickly waved goodbye to the folk at 1a and said I’d see them later.

The climb up Hamburger hill went by pretty quickly and at the top I pulled away from Paul wanting to get to base (CP2) a soon as I could. I was now in 3rd spot but fully expected Paul to catch me later on. I crossed the loose scree that makes up the top of Hamburger hill, certainly not as comfortable a ride as it was some 12hrs earlier.

Back at Checkpoint 2 (113.8km), a sizeable crowd made me feel real welcome. I grabbed my drop bag and changed into a clean bike top, ate some more S&V chips and left quickly back out toward 1a. A marathon to go, can’t be that bad I kept telling myself. I was still feeling quite good and my food and drink intake thus far felt adequate. Back up over Hamburger hill for the 3rd time today, I was getting to know it fairly well. I didn’t hang around CP1a at all just kept running on to Caves Rd toward the eastern section. It felt good to finally have the western section behind me and I was looking forward to getting up to checkpoint 9. It was now 7:55pm.

The long haul from 1a out onto the Glasshouse tourist road and up to the Moffat Rd crossing seemed to take forever. I ran the best part of it but it certainly started to take it out of me. The gravel trail that is Moffat Rd continues for a few km through some more pine plantations crossing Rapkins Rd and then comes out under the main Highway at Tibrogargan Creek (Javes’ Pool). Some rock hopping and a then a short trot skirting Wildhorse mountain into checkpoint 9 (126.9). It was now 9:40pm.

I decided to wait until I had completed the return trip up Wildhorse before eating anything, so just grabbed the ticket from the lovely volunteers there and began to climb. A short climb in fact, with a great view out over the west (I thought about UCB and Boonarga’s sunset photo taken a few weeks ago).
I trotted back down into 9 passing Dave Waugh who was now on his way home (incredible) Back at he checkpoint I had intended to eat some food but was so keen to get to 10 I forgot! I had a quick chat with the guys there, they joked that the climb up Wildhorse wouldn’t be that easy second time around. Rachel Waugh was there too offering some encouragement.

I left for CP10 not long after 10pm. The trail now is very flat and winds its way along Tibrogargan Creek meandering along logging trails. I was feeling pretty stuffed at this stage and walked quite a bit. It wasn’t long before I saw a light coming toward me. It was a very strong looking Ian Wright. We stopped and I asked him how much further to 10, it seemed to take an eternity! He replied about 5-6km, I thought bugger really that far. The track was very well marked and after hearing stories of runners getting lost along here last year, I had no worries negotiating my way through to 10. Our little recon and training run along here a couple of days ago, helping too.

Not long before the checkpoint a few blokes had set up camp for the night. They yelled out “hey what are you guys doing running at this hour?” Another said “shouldn’t you be running, it is a race, (I was walking) where did you start from?” I tried to recall where we did in fact start this little run from and had a mental blank! I eventually mumbled out “Beerberrum”. I was so zoning out now feeling tired and drained.

At CP10 (137.3km) 11:15pm, I decided to stop for a while and sit down. My energy levels had dropped off quite a bit and I felt I needed to stop, regather and most importantly eat. I had some beetroot soup and an Anzac biscuit. No more creamed rice left, so I nibbled away on what was available. In fact, if I recall correctly there was quite a smorgasbord on offer here. I was waiting for someone to come up from behind as I felt I took a long time to get from 9-10. I got up and left for the return trip to 9. I was in third place and wanted to see how much of a cushion I had on 4th place.

Feeling somewhat re-energised now, I ran a lot better back to 9. I came across Rob Ware 46 mins after I left 10 and figured that would be enough of a buffer to see me home in 3rd spot. I was surprised to see Rob, expecting to see Paul instead. A short while later I would start seeing a lot of runners coming toward me making there way out along the eastern section to 10. I was super motivated now; the thoughts of finishing in 3rd place a great motivator. This was a dream, and I couldn’t believe it!

Back at CP9 (147.7km) I grabbed my ticket and headed straight for the 9a climb up Wildhorse. No truer a word said earlier on, it was indeed tough getting back up there, hands on knees, slow trudge to the top stuff. I bumped into Andrew who was walking down backwards, the things you see late on in an ultra! Dropped my ticket in the box and back down to 9. I saw Paul Every on his way up, obviously having a tough time out there. He wished me well and told me to go for it.

I wondered back into CP9 and had some soup. 14km to go it was now 1:10am.
Halfway along the trail back to 1a just before Moffat Rd I got very tired. In fact I’m sure I was micro sleeping along the trail. I had to stop and turn off my headlamp and look up to the clear star speckled sky to get my headspace back. I was getting lost in the tunnel of light from my lamp and was drifting off on my feet.

A few moments to regather and I set off again, jogging and walking. I came across Sean and his pacers just before Moffat Rd. We exchanged greetings and went our separate ways. Back onto the western side of the Glasshouse Mountains drive and the long road back to 1a and Caves Rd. Not long to go now, I started doing the mental arithmetic thing; could I break 22.5 hrs, or if I get a move on could I even break 22hrs? This reinvigorated me and I arrived back at 1a just before 2:30am. I had 1hr to make it to the finish and a little over 4km to cover to break 22hrs. I didn’t stop for long at 1a, instead continuing up the side trail for Hamburger Hill. This would be the last time over this damn hill and I was delighted when I finally reached the descent for home. Even though I’d been through here a few times already I thought I’d missed the trail and gone too far, it was taking me quite a while to get back. The sight of white flagging tape flapping in the cool night air brought relief however. I heard Jimmy Barnes belting out “Khe Sanh” in the distance and imagined that this was CP2 and the finish line. Wow this would be a buzz I thought to myself. It wasn’t long before I realised it wasn’t coming from base, instead from a way back up the road.

At last the finish was in sight. I ran through the car park and heard someone call out “runner coming” and a flashlight pointed my way. It was bizarre, not a soul in sight except for Ian Javes and Jenny Chaston.
Here I was about to finish, what was for me an epic run and the culmination of months of hard training. I welled up as I made my way onto the oval for the finishers lap.

Ian and Jenny greeted me as I threw a fist in the air and stopped the clock on 21hrs 43minutes. I had done it, 100 miles in one day and third place to boot, what a feeling!

The finish was somewhat subdued and I just sat there trying to process what I had achieved. I tried some soup as I was hungry but it wasn’t going down. Instead I decided to wonder back to my car and drive myself back to the motel for a shower and a few hours sleep, probably the best 3 hrs sleep I have ever had!

I wondered back down to the finish line later on to watch the 100mile finishers come in. It was fantastic to see so many make it under the 30hr cut-off and realise their dreams.

Looking back at my race, I didn’t have any specific formula, I just made sure I ate and drank regularly. I ran within myself and mixed in a fair amount of walking too. I didn’t use salt tablets instead got by on electrolyte drink at the checkpoints, rice cream, a few Gus and 3 bags of salt n’vinegar chips. I did eat early and often but in hindsight I slacked off a bit at night resulting in a slump from 9-10. The soup was divine late in the day and the coffee didn’t go astray either.

I couldn’t of asked for a better 100-mile debut. There are a lot of people to thank. Ian Javes and all those involved in organising this awesome event. The checkpoints were well stocked and the volunteers obviously experienced dealing with runners needs. I had the pleasure of sharing the weekend with Andrew and Tim and together with Sean, GT and Dave McKinnon we had a blast.
Finally (jeez this is starting to sound like one of those academy award winning speeches) I would like to thank my beautiful wife and 3 girls, without their support I never would have made it to the start line. Thanks for putting up with me guys.

4 Comments:

At 9:05 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Jen said...

Spud,

You are a legend!!!

Congratulations on a SENSATIONAL race and a great race report (reading it gave me goosebumps...) Simply awesome. I'm so happy for you.

J

PS So when is the book due out ;-)

 
At 10:03 PM, September 20, 2005, Blogger Superflake said...

Spud that report was fantastic. I don't know how you remembered so much. A sensational debut mate. I give you an Emmy since they have just been on.

 
At 3:54 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Horrie said...

Spud, as gobsmacked as I am about your result (sub22). I am amazed how you are able to stay so clear headed and remember the race in such detail. I almost feel as though I am out there with you. Congratulations again on an amazing run. Looking forward to reading about your next goal.

 
At 8:55 PM, September 21, 2005, Blogger Bennyr said...

Awesome report, Spud.

It's been great to follow your journey. Well done on an amazing achievement.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home