Monday, June 26, 2006

Woodford to Glenbrook Classic 2006

Another great morning in the mountains with plenty of CRs and Striders about.
I was feeling pretty good with my recovery post PMC last weekend and figured I’d give it a bash, see if I could go close to my PB.
The first 12km of up and down went by reasonably well, I hit the 12km marker bang on 58minutes, managing to steadily trot up the hills and make the most of the downs.
After the helipad I leaned into the hill and tried to hammer it down as fast as I could on the beautifully graded track to Glenbrook. Had an interesting tussle with a couple of runners, trading places for the next 8km. Then the 20km split came up in 1:29, same as last year I recalled.
Must admit my legs were feeling the effects of sub 4 minute kms with my quads yelling stop. I was hoping there would be some sportsdrink on the course or at least some fruit, so that was disappointing seen as I didn’t bother with any gus.

I started picking off a few places over the final 5kms with a lot of runners slowing in front. Then I spotted O Runner off in the distance with about 3km to go. I figured he had too big a gap but eventually passed him with about 800mtrs to go.
I was fully expecting the loop in the clearing before the finish, so was surprised to see it was in fact just as we came out of the bush. Crossed the line in 1:52, exactly the same time as last year, happy with that.
Hung around for a little bit catching up with some mates, but needed to get home early and luckily bludged a lift off Kanangra (cheers mate).

Well done Striders, Uncle Dave and Suzanne Kelly had great runs, O Runner on his 5 minute PB and for being the carrot ;-)
Great to see the Dog out there too, on the way back and still running bloody fast.
Funny moment when Prof introduced me as a 27 year old (after mishearing my 37) and seemingly bought it, I wish. Good to catch up with others too Mr G, Paul E, Diane and Kanangra.

4 Comments:

At 11:49 AM, June 26, 2006, Blogger Dave said...

Well done mate, that was a great run off the back of PMC last week. Gee I'd hate to think what you could do at this race with fresh legs!!

 
At 8:34 PM, June 26, 2006, Blogger Horrie said...

Spud, the more I see your performances, the more I am convinced you are not human. Amazing performance after last week's effort. Congratulations on another great run.

 
At 7:42 AM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

An incredible run Spud after last weekend's "little" adventure. Well done!

Thanks for your support - I really appreciate it. It's so good to be running (at least in the same race) as you guys :-)

 
At 2:28 PM, June 27, 2006, Blogger Tesso said...

Congrats on a great run Spud. How the hell do run like that a week after PMC? Maybe its the praties :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home