Monday, July 09, 2007

Woodford To Glenbrook 2007




This was a chance to see how my Western States recovery was going. The plan was to go out conservatively (to the helipad at 12.4km) and then bash it home down the hill if the quads would allow me. I hit the 10km marker in 48mins and the helipad in just over an hour, so certainly slower than previous years/ I was feeling ok on the hills but not really attacking them. Ran for a while with Kim Cook (Trotter who ran GNW100) he had me on the hills but I caught him on the flats and downs. We stayed together until about 500m before the helipad where I decided to lift the pace a little and see what the legs had. I was surprised the quads didn't complain more as I enjoyed the gentle descent over the last 12km. I passed a few runners and then spotted Rod the Hornet ahead. I pulled up beside him and in doing so we notched up the pace again. We were reeling off 4.10s and I was happy to stay together as we pulled each other along quite nicely, in fact we were not overtaken for the remainder of the race. My calves began to complain with 4km to go and I even managed to get a nice blister under the heel of my right foot (I was running in a new pair of trailies). We spotted Strider Shelley Howes a few hundred metres ahead and although we were catching her we ran out of track crossing the line together in 1.52:11. I was delighted to finish just 3 seconds outside my PB even after I stupidly believed I had posted a 1.50 somewhere down the years, but then looking back my PB is 1.52:08. Oh well not bad 2 weeks after WS. I'll take it.

Good to catch up with the usual suspects and a few more newbies afterwards.
A plus this year was the addition of a veggie option at fooderies in Euroka.
Top race again, thanks to the firies.

5 Comments:

At 10:51 AM, July 09, 2007, Blogger Clairie said...

Excellent Effort Spud.

Obviously the legs are not feeling overly taxed from you fantastic run at WS2007.

To run 3 sec off your PB means you weren't running with that heavy silver buckle....I thought that thing would be attached to you for a few more weeks yet! :)

 
At 11:31 AM, July 09, 2007, Blogger David Criniti said...

Well done on both WS and your great recovery to have a good show at W2G mate.

Condolences also.

Dave

 
At 2:16 PM, July 09, 2007, Blogger Ewen said...

Wow - a 500m drop in elevation. I remember it as a downhill race but not that much! Don't know how the hell I ran 1:38.

 
At 2:41 PM, July 09, 2007, Blogger Tesso said...

Man, don't you hate that when you know you could have run faster and done a PB! Oh well, a 2B is pretty impressive.

 
At 5:08 AM, July 10, 2007, Blogger Horrie said...

Your effort doesn't surprise me in the least Spud. Another great run from one of Australia's best Ultra Runners. I am working hard to follow your great work ethic. Looking forward to catching up after our journey of a lifetime.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home