Tuesday, June 21, 2005

Poor Man's Comrades Report-Sunday, June 19th

What goes up must come down, and so it was off to Gosford for the second leg this year.

I met up with Jan and Sean Greenhill at Hornsby station at 6am. Kevin rolled by with kids in tow and after another starter John Ellis turned up, we were off to Gosford.

We arrived at 6:45 with 6 other starters. They were multi ironman finisher John Megler, Chris Graham, Dave Price, Tim Turner, Dave Bray and Graham Wye.
Dave Bray was stopping at the Pie in the Sky (41.5km)

It was quite a mild morning with some cloud cover. We huddled under the Gosford station railway sign for the obligatory start line photo and shortly thereafter (7:05am) were off.
I had been nursing a sprained ankle since Wednesday and thanks to a religious icing regimen and some stretching was delighted to make it to the start line at all! With the ankle nicely strapped up, the plan was to see how far I could go, any real pain and I was set to pull the plug.

We made our way out of Gosford at a good clip, I remember commenting to Jan that “this pace is too fast”, to which he replied, “yeah but we’ll be slowing down real soon”. And so we did as we hit Debenham Rd and the long slog up to the Pacific Highway. Most runners slowed to a walk but the front guys, John Megler, Chris Graham and Dave Price took off up the hill. In fact that was the last I saw of John, he was set to have a blinder.

After reaching the highway, the pack split up even more so, everyone was starting to find their rhythm. Jan, Graham and I ran together for the next 20 odd km.
We arrived at Mt White Road Warrior’s café (25km), where Kevin and Sean were waiting in 2h10m, a few minutes behind the leaders. We scoffed some food and got out of there quickly. This was to be the order of the day; I’d spent far too much time stuffing around last year.

During the next leg between Mt White and Mooney Mooney, I developed a stitch that would not go away, most likely a result of wolfing down a tub of creamed rice too quickly at the Road Warriors Café. I tried everything to get rid of it, deep breathing, quick exhalations etc, but it stayed with me pretty much all the way to Mooney Mooney. Running down off the mountain wasn’t helping either. Jan in the meantime pulled off to the side and left me to run on ahead. I arrived at Mooney Mooney (35km) to be greeted by Kevin and Sean in 3h6m, drank some powerade, mentioned to Sean that we only had two more StaRs to go, and left just as Graham Wye arrived.

Crossing the Hawkesbury river bridge there was a cold wind was blowing up off the water. I knew once I got this next big hill out of the way there was some “flatter” running ahead. Coolrunner Plu turned up out of the blue on his roadie to offer some encouragement and some jelly babies, thanks Martin!

The slog up to the Pie in the Sky café (41.5km) went well and I put some time into John Ellis who was just ahead in 4th place, arriving there in 3:48. I was telling myself, “this is way too fast, payback on the back end”. John decided not to stop here and carried on as we reached the café. I stopped and ordered a veggie pie, (and was delighted they had some left, as last time I came through here they didn’t). As I shuffled away from the kiosk, I noticed Dave Price was just leaving as I sat down to eat. Kevin and Sean rolled in just then and opened up the back of the car. I had some more sports drink and finished my pie, thankful to get some hot food into me.

On the next stretch to Cowan I was feeling my left hamstring tighten up a bit, it was just hanging to cramp up, I had to stop and walk it off every so often. This may have been a result of me compensating my running gait slightly going down the hills, as my ankle was feeling it. I thought shit, I had forgotten to buy something salty at the Pie in the Sky. However a couple of mates from work, who had run the Bay to Bay in Gosford earlier, rocked on by a bit later. Keith and Padraig offered me some more sportsdrink, which gave me a boost; it was great to see them out there, thanks guys. I also met CR Superflake (Paul) a bit later and gladly accepted a banana from him, cheers Flake!

Still, when I arrived at the Cowan store (45km), I quickly ran in and bought a packet of salt n’ vinegar chips, hoping the salt would alleviate any impending cramp. As I walked out I bumped into Dave Price who was sat outside munching away on a sausage roll ?. He was also complaining about cramp.

Running to Berowra (50km) was cold from memory, there was a cool wind blowing up from the valley. I kept thinking just get to the turn off for Bobbin Head and roll down the hill. I wasn’t feeling too great on the run through Berowra and on to Mt Colah, but then spotted John Ellis ahead. He was stopping every now and again to walk some of the inclines (as was I) but I was slowly gaining on him. I don’t tend to think of these Fatass runs as majorly competitive, more a good long run with some mates, but this time the competitive juices were flowing. I started to think, hey 3rd spot would be a great way to end the day! I ended up passing John at Mt Colah just before the turn off down to Bobbin Head. He was running on the other side of the road as I passed him, I said g’day.

Running down Ku-ring-ai Chase Rd and into the national park, I spotted Kevin and wife Dawn coming up from Apple Tree Bay.
I was hoping to pick up the pace down to the bridge but was struggling with my hammie as I tried opening up the stride. So I gingerly trotted down in just over 5min pace. Plu appeared once again coming up the hill and offered me some more electrolyte drink. I was grateful thinking; I’ll sip this on the climb out on the other side.
John was not that far behind me now, so when I reached the bridge at the bottom (65km), instead of stopping (which I had planned) I kept on running through to the other side and on to the 4km climb to the gates. I ran the first km up the gentle rise and then mixed up power walking and jogging to finally reach the gate. This climb was a bastard though and I kept thinking, how cruel it was to have this bloody loop thrown in so late in the day and so close to the city.

I was determined to pick it up back to the Pacific Hwy but I had forgotten how long it actually takes to get to the end of Bobbin Head Rd. I stopped at Turramurra shops on the way and refilled my pack at a water tap. It seems like Bobbin Head road just keeps rising all the way to the Pacific highway, or was it just that I was so stuffed?

Finally turning back onto the Pacific highway (76km) I could see the skyline of Sydney for the first time with Centrepoint in all its glory. I was thrilled to finally see the “finish line”. Still a way to go and quite a few hills to negotiate though!

In fact the rollercoaster ride, that is Werona Ave, Lindfield Ave and Strickland Ave next to the rail line is tough. I never really noticed this on the “up” run last year as it’s so early in the piece but boy I was feeling it today! I walked almost all of these inclines and trotted down the hills. I arrived at Chatswood (83km) and looked at my watch. With 13km or so to go I figured sub 10hrs was on the cards. I think I was a little delirious at this point as my GPS was giving me all sorts of erroneous readings. Total distance was shorter than the distance Kevin measured for the course thus far, but I did lose reception quite a few times especially back in the city. Still I kept thinking, there’s no way I ‘m this far ahead? I met Dave Bray on Archer St in Chatswood, who had earlier ran to the Pie in the Sky. He was in the people mover with the kids.

Running through St Leonards, then Crows Nest and on to North Sydney was very distracting. There are intersections, traffic lights and pedestrians to negotiate. I found I couldn’t get back into any kind of running rhythm. All of a sudden CR Blue Dog (Wayne) turns up, happy to pace me back to the finish at the Opera House. I was thrilled to see him and have some company. He pushed me along at a decent clip, faster than I would of ran without him. We passed Lavender St and then the Harbour bridge came into view. I was surprised to see it so soon. Rapt to finally see the end was nigh we climbed the staircase to the bridge. Wayne ran on ahead back to his parked car at the rocks to pick up a six-pack. We were gonna celebrate with a bevvie at the Opera House. Legend mate!

Coming off the bridge and down onto Argyle St at the rocks was surreal. I was zoned out, receiving a lot of peculiar looks from passing pedestrians. How different our days must have been. Circular Quay was alive, but all I wanted was that finish at the Opera House. Wayne caught up and we both climbed the steps of the Opera House. I kissed one of its sails and felt a massive sense of relief.

9hrs17m was a time that honestly surprised me. I knocked off 2hrs20min off last year’s time. We sat there and downed a beer and munched away on some peanuts and pretzels. All I could think was.. wow what a day. I rang in my time with Kevin and answered a few text messages I’d received.

Later that evening I was pondering which way is the best/easiest, the “up” or the “down”?
I definitely agree with a comment Jan made earlier in the car on the way to Gosford, that there is more distraction as one runs into the city. I did find the “up” year last year easier mentally which surprised me a little. Prior to running today, I had imagined running “home” would be psychologically easier.
I did run harder today than last year, so it’s hard to judge which way (if any) is tougher physically but mentally give me the “up” year.

Thanks again to all who turned out to offer assistance today, Kevin for the lift to Gosford and both himself and Sean for crewing the first 40 odd km.

Also well done to all who finished. John Megler ended running an outstanding course record in 8hr6mins! and Chris Graham 8hr40mins, truly amazing.

See ya next year!

3 Comments:

At 3:19 PM, June 21, 2005, Blogger Martin said...

brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

 
At 7:31 AM, June 22, 2005, Blogger Horrie said...

Congratulations on a sensational run Spud. You are a legend mate. Hope to be there on the Opera House steps for next year's event.

 
At 11:11 AM, June 23, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Well done mate, you were looking strong every time I saw you.

You are running into great form for the other long runs coming up, make sure that ankle sorts itself out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home