Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Gold Coast 100km Race Report

I didn’t think there would be much to write about with a race involving a flat 16 laps of 6.25km but thought I would put some thoughts down to try and capture the mental battle that is a multi looped course rather than the physical.

I flew up to the Gold Coast on Friday afternoon and was picked up by Run67 and Karisma. We headed off to the Rugby Club next to the Runaway Sports Centre for dinner where we met up with race director Ian Cornelius and some of the other runners participating the following morning. Great to meet up with some familiar names and the veggie pasta was divine.

The morning of the run was cool as we arranged our food and drinks trackside. It was still quite dark as we laid out our supplies for the day. Mister G and Skizzik were already there, setting up for the long day ahead.
Ian called us to the start line shortly before 6am and after some pre race instructions and a few photos we were off on our 100km journey.

I had spoken to a couple of ultra veterans during the week about a race strategy, walk intervals, how many, what pace etc, but to be honest it wasn’t until race morning that I decided to run each 6km loop and then upon return to the stadium I would walk the track lap, whilst getting some food in.
This proved to be the approach a lot of runners would take.

The first few laps were ran as a pack including Mister G, Run67, Fat Bloke and Whippet Man. There was a lot of the usual banter, but Fat Bloke took the biscuit for entertainment cracking us up with his Yorkshire humour.
Let’s just say that if he were to give up his day job, he’d be fine, certainly missed his calling as a stand up comedian. Thanks for the laughs John.

We stayed together for the first 3 laps averaging 34 minutes per lap (including walk breaks). Shortly thereafter Run67 decided he’d had enough of the slow pace and took off. I ended up running the first 50km with Mister G as we dropped Fat Bloke and Whippet somewhere on lap 5, I think. We went through the marathon in 3:44 and 50km in 4:34. I was feeling quite good at this stage.

The course itself is mostly bitumen but a long straight, concreted 2km path next to the road was very hard on the joints. I decided to run on any softer grass verges trying to minimise the impact, and even though I was working harder keeping pace, I hoped it would pay off later. The logistics of this race were easy and with Karisma crewing for both Run67 and myself it was easy to just grab a bite to eat, walk a lap whilst eating and then leave whatever you didn’t want with Karisma as we left the stadium. Thanks Karen!

It was on lap 9 that I noticed Mister G dropping off the pace a little as a gap opened up, turned out he was having problems with his hip.
I was beginning to have problems of my own. The Endura electrolyte drink at the aid stations didn’t seem to be agreeing with me and I needed to stop twice at the toilet block next to the track. I stopped using the Endura and switched to Powerade from the esky. This seemed to help. Creamed rice was my food of choice for the day and Karisma’s wonderful roasted potatoes worked well too. I also had a powerbar, some gus and a few jelly bears stuffed in my pockets.
Aid stations were nicely placed, three in all and one just at the end of the concrete path, most welcome with the volunteers doing a sterling job.

My pace was slowing a little now with lap times going out to 36, 37 and 38 minutes. I wasn’t too stressed though, fully expecting to drop off the pace on the back end. My legs still felt fine, so it was around lap 10 that the mental battles were beginning. Every time I left the stadium on a new lap I would say to myself, “ok this is the 6th last lap, 5 more after this one” etc. this was helping me break the run down. Actually on the way to the stadium that morning Karisma mentioned it might be a good idea to break the run up into 4 laps times 4. I thought this sounded like a good idea and it worked quite well earlier on but by lap 10 it was lap by lap.

I think it was around lap 12 or so I passed Run 67 in the stadium, he too was having some tummy problems. It turned out quite a few runners had problems with the Endura electrolyte drink?

The relay runners were great offering encouragement as they whizzed by, making us realise just how slow we were moving. Laps were getting tough now and even though I was down to 4 more left and then 3, it was tough holding pace. The hardest thing for me mentally was not the distance but the crap that can enter your mind on a long run. Trying to push out negative thoughts and replace them with positive affirmations not always easy.
I started thinking about the finish line on lap 13, 3 more to go. I was thinking about stopping at last, sitting down in the sun and vegging out, couldn’t wait to get there, swearing I’d never do a road 100 again. Then the cravings started, I wanted tomatoes all of a sudden?? Strange cause I’m not a huge fan of tomatoes, but I needed, yearned for some badly. Hmmm?

Lap times for 13 and 14 were both 39 minutes. I was determined to not blow out over 40mins. Grabbed some salt n’ vinegar chips at the stadium and a donut, went down a treat.

On my last lap I passed Mister G about 2km out from the finish. I actually sped up the last couple of laps, which was pleasing. The push to the stadium was awesome. I finally felt like I was unravelling, the crowd gave a generous applause as Ian announced each runners’ last lap. I crossed the line 7th in 9:34:20, a very happy man.

So, as it transpired I ran 4:34 for the first 50km and an even 5hrs for the second. I reckon I spent maybe 35-40 minutes walking in the stadium all up.
Walk breaks did stretch out a little at the other two drink stations in the last few laps (maybe 50-80mtrs) but I was very happy to have run the rest.

We hung around until the cut-off of 12hrs watching the last runners coming in. The expressions on their faces crossing the line, priceless.

This was an interesting run, I always wondered how I’d fare on a multi-looped course, it wasn’t that bad actually. A track 100km would be a whole different battle, I would imagine. Still GC100 is a very well organised event on a flat and fast course. I now have a 100km time to my name. Would I do it again? Maybe, but have to say I’m a bigger fan of trail ultras.

Thanks to Ian Cornelius and his team of volunteers, the crowd in the stadium too and of course all the wonderful CRs out there. Congrats to Darren Benson who smoked home in 7:48!

Lastly, a huge thanks to Karen and Adrian for their hospitality!

Splits for the day were:

1-33:21 9-36:52
2-34:12 10-36:08
3-34:02 11-36:26
4-34:22 12-38:31
5-33:57 13-39:00
6-34:04 14-39:21
7-34:42 15-37:18
8-35:42 16-36:12

50km-4:34 100km-9:34:20

4 Comments:

At 11:16 PM, July 19, 2005, Blogger Horrie said...

You are an absolute machine Spud! Congratulations on yet another great run. Good to see you got to enjoy the Fat Bloke humour. The guy is very funny and a great bloke to boot.

 
At 2:26 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

Well done Spud!

Great run and excellent report, sounds like you have come through pretty well as well!

 
At 11:27 PM, July 20, 2005, Blogger Superflake said...

Congratulations on the run. How did this time compare to poor man's?
Looks like you ran very well. Pity about the STaR's worth of concrete though.

 
At 10:49 AM, July 22, 2005, Blogger Martin said...

great work Spud, you are turning into an ultra whizz kid! Great to see you pull up so well as well, sub 24 at GH for you my lad!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home