Monday, November 14, 2005

GNW 100 Pacing Duties

Paced the Dog from Yarramalong to Patonga (70k). Great experience, hats off to the Dog and Eagle, they did us all proud at Team Dog.

I arrived at Checkpoint 4 at Yarramalong (103km point) at 6pm after bludging a lift off Aunty and Truckie (thanks guys). Our arrival was way too early; we ended up sitting around pigging out and chatting to the wonderful Terrigal Trotter volunteers for hours. David Waugh, first place runner in the 100 miler came in just after 8:10pm looking strong and very relaxed, for a guy who had lost the trail for over an hour near the Basin.

It wasn’t until after midnight when the Dog and Eagle arrived. They both looked good although Ray was having some blister problems. After a quick refuel Dog and I set off leaving Eagle, behind who was going to push on alone from here. (gutsy)

I was not familiar with the last 70km of this course at all; having only ran some of the first half. So as a pacer I was probably not going to be helpful in that department. However, given the amount of recon the Dog did in the weeks leading up, I was sure there wouldn’t be a problem there.

We did manage to go off trail in the first few km shortly after leaving the CP adding a km or so to the journey. That was the only time we’d lose the trail from there to the finish however. We were not alone either with Paul and Jan making the same mistake.

I must say the notes/directions with distances and elevation readings for each segment where first class, great stuff Dave Byrnes.

I was trialling out my new Princeton Tec Apex headlamp and it performed very well indeed. The light from this thing is simply awesome. On some of the scrubbier sections where the trail was not that discernable and the moonlight blocked by the canopy overhead, the high beam spotter performed admirably lighting up the valley for us. When I looked around I noticed Paul and the Herrmannator were also benefiting from my pacing duties. J

For my own I found the whole experience of pacing to be very enjoyable and rewarding. No real pressures apart from making sure your runner is eating and drinking (and moving) and a very social way to spend the night! It was also a good way to see what happens mentally and physically to the runners in these 100 milers. I also got to really appreciate what the crew have to endure through the night, Bernie G, Uncle Dave and the King doing sterling jobs. A job not to be taken lightly either, you have to look after yourself too, eat and drink etc, 70km in almost 14hrs is a long time on your feet.

This course is one tough bastard, or as Jan said “Trailwalker on steroids”. Speaking to Bill Thompson afterwards he reckoned it’s as tough as any he’s ran!

Kudos to all who competed in both 100s. Matt did very well in the 100km, his first. The Eagle a splendid 132km on debut, gutsy effort running alone through the night.

David Waugh, a very impressive time over that course, sub 24 next year mate!
Paul Every, whose final push from Girakool to Patonga was simply sensational to finish in 2nd place.
Tim and Whippet in the 100km, great stuff guys.

Finally Blue Dog, who ran an outstanding race. He did the homework and the training and it payed off. Hats of mate, a podium finish on that course, awesome. It was a pleasure to join up with team Dog and a “job” I totally recommend.

Look forward to racing this one next year.

Totals for week

Run 114km
Bike 43km
Swim 1.5km

4 Comments:

At 2:43 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger 2P said...

Good job Spud - 14 hrs is an extra long time when it is not your own personal goal.

You earned some hairy kudo's yourself! :-)

 
At 3:33 PM, November 14, 2005, Blogger Jen said...

Thank you for your comment on my blog Spud.

Well done on helping out BlueDog during his remarkable run. You are a perfect example of what I love about this community: the fact that we support and encourage each other whatever way we can - whether by running with someone for 14 hours or jumping around with blue & yellow pom-poms like a 10 yo ;-)

J.

 
At 8:24 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger Horrie said...

It was never in doubt that the Dog would finish. With people like you in his corner, how could he not? Well done on the pacing Spud. Hope to see you out on the road soon.

 
At 9:24 PM, November 15, 2005, Blogger silverfox said...

Great read Spud. I still find it astonishing you could pace someone...for 70ks...through the night. Awesome mate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home