Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Catch up

I spent the last week up at Lake Macquarie enjoying some family time, but managed to take advantage of location and get some good runs in.
Friday- I ran along the old train line loop from Toronto to Fassisfern through the wetlands area, a pleasant run of 10km or so.

On the Saturday I had planned to cover some of the GNW trail, a bit of recon if you like for the upcoming 100miler in November.
I had covered the last 60 odd km with Blue Dog last year as a pacer and ran a lot of the second section CP1-2. This time I wanted a good hilly workout between CP2 at Congewai and CP3 The Basin Campsite. As logistics would have it I had to do an out and back loop as I had no other takers to car shuffle with, so looking at the maps I figured 20km out and 20km back would allow me to see a fair chunk of that section. I drove to Congewai early Saturday morning almost cleaning up a couple of roos along the way. The first few kms through open valley were easy and then it's uphill, a climb of 317 mtrs over 2.5km. Directions provided by Dave Byrnes (race director) were excellent and a sanity check with the Garmin on elevation etc every now and again re-assuring. Once at the top I ran along Cabins Rd, arriving at Flat Rock lookout with its wonderful vista over the valley. I stopped for some food and took a couple of snaps. The drop to Watagan creek wasn’t too bad along a switchbacking soft singletrack. Some pleasant open farmland, I was startled by a huge monitor as I made my way to the crossing. I was working hard on the next climb up to Mt Warrawolong. This was hard work on a hot day; definitely need a lot of water for race day. I carried my lobo camelbak with a 2ltr bladder and two handhelds, one of which I left at 10km for the return. Luckily there is a non-manned water stop planned for the race just after the creek crossing. I would end up running out of water just before I finished, somewhat dehydrated.
I continued on the track as far as Pig and Sow Rd and then turned around returning home. A short while later I had another encounter with wildlife, when a wedge-tailed eagle took flight from its perch right in front of me, magnificent sight. I also came across a couple of Gang-Gang cockatoos at Mt Warrawolong on the return, a good day for wildlife sightings!
I arrived back at the car feeling well worked and thirsty, a great hitout of 5.5hrs with 2700 metres of combined ascent and descent.

Monday- same run as Friday, Toronto to Fassisfern-10.3km.

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger 2P said...

Sounds great Spud - I can't wait to get back on to some trails around Lake Mac.

 
At 8:21 PM, October 10, 2006, Blogger Jen said...

Wow. That elevation graph is pretty impressive! Mt Koz look out!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home