Tuesday, December 21, 2004

A tale of two halves

PM: Got to the pool at lunch for 10x100mtrs in 1:52 with 20 second recovery. This is 1 second faster per 100 than last week. So at least one speed session went well today, actually I felt fantastic in the water.
Midweek long run tomorrow.


To the track this morning for 8x400s. I was feeling fresh after yesterdays easy run.
Got away (rather ambitiously) to a flying start with the first 4 reps in 80-81sec. With 60 second standing recoveries, I was gonna suffer. Second half and last 4 reps ended up the wrong side of 85 seconds. So lessons learnt today were;

I am not in low 80s shape and

Endurance is my thing, not speed ;-)

Oh, and I hate track speed work and will take it out onto the roads and trails for a change.

Given recent chat on CR about mental toughness, here's a question. Should one (as I have heard advised before) pull the pin when the second half of a speed session goes down the gurglar or continue despite a slow down to "mentally tough it out".

Hmmm??? Me thinks never give up and finish said session.

2 Comments:

At 5:54 PM, December 21, 2004, Blogger Horrie said...

I think you should finish the session unless injured myself. Although I know exactly how you felt as my form fell apart a couple of weeks ago and it wasn't pretty. But having finished the session, I was able to put it behind me and move on and run a recent PB in 10km on Sunday.

 
At 8:51 PM, December 21, 2004, Blogger Dave said...

Wow, that has got me thinking...

I'm going to open up a topic on CR for this (sorry to steal your idea Spud!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home