Monday, April 25, 2005

Great Sunday- 31.5km

Sunday AM- I entered the Blacktown Lest We Forget 8km Run which I have done the last 3 years. I decided to fit it into my long run as I did last year. So I set off for a 8.5km (5min/km)warm up to the race start. I arrived with 30 mins to spare so I did 4 laps of the athletics track to fill the time to the gun. Great track just wish I could do my speedwork there.
I met up with Miss Skarmel at the start, I think we were the only CRs there. We set off doing 4min kms with some weird splits in there 3:46 an example. I felt we were running an even pace but distance markers were dodgy. I planned on running a solid pace without killing myself, I had to get back to my car afterwards. With Miss Skarmel breathing down my neck, that's how we stayed to the end finishing together in 33:46ish. So 4:13/km, not too bad. Miss Skarmel had a great run winning 1st place in her AG! Sue and the kids turned up for the finish and we hung around watching Miss S pick up her award. Garmin gave 8.008km for the run. Did a couple of laps with the girls on the track before bidding farewell and heading off. I ran another 6km to get back to my car feeling remarkably good. So 22.25km for the morning.

Sunday 6:15PM (9km)- Had a dinner date at Dural so decided to combine dinner with some Quarry Rd trail ( I was in the vicinity afterall!) I arranged to meet Sue and the kids at 7:30, so arrived at Quarry Rd end at 6:15. A beautiful full moon would prove helpful, however my head light was essential. I wore a cotton t-shirt as it was starting to cool down. Running along the top range for the first 2.5km before the turn off and downhill was great. I was moving along pretty well. Running down the descents was of course less carefree, tilting the aim on the headlight helped pick up any track erosions etc. I reached the bottom in a tick under 23 mins which is not that much slower than running in daylight. It was so serene and peaceful here. Running back up the hill with the full moon on your back lighting up the trail, awesome! I ran all the ascents and was sweating profusely upon reaching the top. There was a couple of wallabies off to the left as I approached the cairn and track diversion, they quickly scampered off down the valley.
After catching my breath and recovering a little, I decided to up the pace on the flats. Having not run at night for what seems like an eternity, (TW last year in fact), this was fantastic. I love this run so much and doing it at night is a very invigorating experience. I will be back for more night running here. A pommie shower and change of attire out of the boot of my car and I was sitting down for dinner and a couple of beers at 7:30pm. Great way to end the week.

Totals for week

Swim-1km
Bike-45km
Run-90km

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home