Monday, October 23, 2006

Brindabella Classic 2006





The “classic” course was back on this year after fires devastated the area in 2003. The start is at the top of Mt Ginini for what is reputed to be “Australia’s Toughest Downhill Mountain Race” How could I resist?

We spent the night before loading up on pasta and pizza in Woden thanks, to Martin Fryer for organising. Good chance to catch up and talk all things ultra.
I had initially intended on camping at Cotter reserve as I did last year, but with temps forecast to go sub zero I wimped out, opting for a warm hotel room instead.
The morning of the race we were bussed to the start, a 90-minute trip tending skywards to Mt Ginini (1870mASL). We stopped at Bulls Head, about halfway, an opportunity to stretch the legs and use the toilets there. It was blowing a bit and the windchill factor had us shivering. Upon arrival at Mt Ginini we assessed clothing requirements, with most runners opting for an extra layer or two. Funnily enough it wasn’t as cold when we eventually did reach the top. Great views were afforded out over the ranges and some talk about hosting 100 milers in the surrounds aroused some interest.
Shortly after 8am we were off. Down we ran to the first little climb up Mt Franklin, which turned out to be nothing more than a blip to the turnaround. This gave us the opportunity to see the pointy end with Sean Williams, Martin Fryer, Blue Dog, Trevor Jacobs amongst others setting the pace. The trails were mostly hard packed and dry and the descents quick. I tried to hang on to Whippet on these downhills but he soon pulled away, only for me to catch up on the flats and uphills. We ran together with Horrie for a while before upping the pace and passing quite a few runners on the long descent to DS3.
The vegetation was doing its best to recover from the 2003 fires, quite evident through here. I can only imagine how beautiful it must off been before the fires hit.
Running the downhills was hard and I knew the quads would complain later with the pace we were setting. I was hammering it trying to stay in touch with Whippet who we all know floats downhill so effortlessly. The climb from DS4 to DS5 was interesting, switching muscle groups a welcome relief. At one stage we saw Trevor Jacobs up ahead and figured we’d gone out way too hard, as it turned out he was struggling after competing in the world rogaining championships the week before. We never caught him; he was way too fast on the climb.
Up and down again before we came to the final climb to Bulls Head and the halfway point. This was a good test for tired legs, as the incline got steeper. I pulled away from Whippet here and passed Tom Silk too. I could trot along quite slowly on the uphills and getting passed by the odd runner only to catch them again on the other side.

Bulls Head aid station welcomed us with a rousing cheer from the many supporters who’d gathered. The Bulls Head challenge itself, a shorter 27km race to Cotters Reserve had just started minutes before I arrived. The aid stations were plentiful and with fresh watermelon slices, very welcome indeed. I downed a gu and made for the second half.

This part of the course I remembered well from last year, certainly not as scenic as the first half (apart from the first few kms which were quite pretty) with the best part still resembling a moonscape but still enjoyable trail running. I felt like I was running alone now with only a few runners around. I did catch up to a few runners thinking I was picking up a few places only to discover they were Bulls Head challenge runners. A few more rolling hills and flats and before long Vanity’s creek was upon me with its wonderfully refreshing crossing. I took a moment to splash the cold water over my aching quads. A quick stop for some coke and a Gatorade and then the final push for home. I recalled how tough the final few kms of undulating trail were last year and was reduced to a walk on one of the steeper pinches, the first time I’d walked all day.
Once at the top I got going again and saw a sprinkling of runners ahead on the barren twisting trails in front of me. I figured they were all Bulls Head runners but decided to push a bit harder and see if I could pick up a few more places.
Then I see a gate up ahead and runners climbing over it, “what da?” When I reached it I contemplated going under as there was a gap there, but I figured I’d probably cramp up so I climbed. As soon as I put one leg over I felt a sharp pain coming from my hamstring and was shaking, damn it I should of went under. Luckily it stopped and I could continue. As soon as I hit the long downhill to the finish I opened up as best I could and overtook several runners, one of which tried to stay with me, making for a good final tussle. The welcome at the finish line was fantastic. 4.36 on the clock and 12th place, a time I was well pleased with after predicting somewhere around the 4.50s.

A beer and a dip in the creek afterwards, the perfect way to finish it off.
Thanks to the ACTCCC and volunteers for another “classic”

A good solid hitout is what I wanted before GNW100 in three weeks time, mission accomplished.

7 Comments:

At 4:33 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger 2P said...

Nice work and great report Spud.

Looking at that elevation profile I need to give this one a whirl - downhill is definitely my strong suit ;-)

 
At 4:54 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger undercover brother said...

spud,
like the profile!
5 min/kms is still pretty damn quick even considering that.
gee i hate downhills!
bro

 
At 5:14 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Superflake said...

Great race Spud. Excellent to be that far ahead of your planned time. Looking good for GNW next month.

 
At 5:34 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Horrie said...

Great run again Mr Consistency. You were way ahead of your predicted time. Things are in great shape for GNW.

 
At 6:42 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Aki said...

Congrats heaps, that's one heck of a run, bu of what I saw at the top it was very pretty and there were lots of ways to become distracted.

 
At 8:16 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Tesso said...

Great stuff Spud. I could almost be convinced that trail running was fun if it was all downhill like that ... and if there was a beer and a dip a the end :-)

So I suppose you don't do anything radical like tapering before GNW100?

 
At 10:00 AM, October 24, 2006, Blogger R2B said...

Well done Spud!
Your looking good for GNW!

R2B

 

Post a Comment

<< Home